[Sdpg] Off the Contour #11 - Permaculture & Ecological Design Principles Darren Doherty

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Feb 14 05:10:10 PST 2011

Off the Contour #11 - Permaculture & Ecological Design Principles
http://regenag.blogspot.com/2011/02/off-contour-11-permaculture-ecological.html

PERMACULTURE & ECOLOGICAL DESIGN PRINCIPLES

By definition Permaculture is an inclusive design system that
involves the integration of a whole host of disciplines in the
pursuit of its follower's objectives. The current sets of
Permaculture design principles have been composed as a result of
retrospectivity (Holmgren's) or by incremental discussion, original
thought and extra-disciplinary harvesting (Mollison's). Beyond the
work of these two Permaculture co-originators there has been few
contributions to the development of more Permaculture principles
however outside of the field of Permaculture itself others have
provided a number of lists that I believe will prove informative and
expand the realm of thinking outside of the Permaculture movement per
se. As systems mature, and Permaculture is getting that way, they
sometimes stop being quite as expansive in their capture/integration
of concepts (or information, genetics etc.) as they could be and so
this is an attempt to keep the doors open.

Bill Mollison, Permaculture: A Designers' Manual (1988) &
Introduction to Permaculture (1991)

* Relative location
* Each element performs multiple functions
* Each function is supported by many elements
* Energy efficient planning
* Using biological resources
* Energy cycling
* Small-scale intensive systems
* Natural plant succession and stacking
* Polyculture and diversity of species
* Increasing "edge" within a system
* Observe and replicate natural patterns
* Pay attention to scale
* Attitude

David Holmgren, Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond
Sustainability (2002)

* Observe and Interact
* Catch and Store Energy
* Obtain a Yield
* Apply Self Regulation and Accept Feedback
* Use and Value Renewable Resources and Services
* Produce No Waste
* Design from Patterns to Details
* Integrate Rather than Segregate
* Use Small and Slow Solutions
* Use and Value Diversity
* Use Edges and Value the Marginal
* Creatively Use and Respond to Change

Sim Van Der Ryn & Stuart Cowan, Ecological Design (1996)

1. Solutions grow from place

"Ecological design begins with the intimate knowledge of a particular place."

2. Ecological accounting informs design

"No conventional design is executed without a careful accounting of
all economic costs. Likewise no ecological design is executed without
a careful accounting of all ecological costs, from resource depletion
to pollution to habitat destruction. Tracing the full set of
ecological impacts of a design is obviously a prerequisite for
ameliorating those impacts."

3. Design with nature

"Ecological design...is a kind of covenant between human communities
and other living communities: Nothing in the design should violate
the wider integrities of nature....By working with the patterns and
processes favored by the living world, we can dramtically reduce the
ecological impacts of our designs."

4. Everyone is a designer

"No one is participant only or designer only. Everyone is
participant-designer. Honor the special knowledge that each person
brings....The best design expeirences occur when noone can claim
credit for the solution--when the solution grows and evolves
organically out of a particular situation, process and pattern of
communication."

5. Make nature visible

"Making natural cycles and processes visible brings the designed
environment back to life. Effective design helps inform us of our
place within nature."

Art Ludwig from Principles of Ecological Design (2003)

1. Transcend market culture

The main obstacles to living with nature are cultural, not technical
or economic.
We do things not because they make social or economic sense, but
simply because our society has been led to believe in them. The
culture-the gut level idea of the right way to live-is a force which
shapes desires and constrains the mainstream of society. In the West
it determines, for example, what is thought to be "economically
viable" at least as much as economics does.

What then determines the culture? Much of the American way of life
has been designed by market forces. Free market enthusiasts claim
that no system is more effective for filling human needs. This is
probably true. But a way of life designed with the goal of living
best would be very different than one designed to maximize profit...

This book explains nothing less than how to redesign our way of life
from the ground up, optimized for long term quality, not short term
profitability. Alternatives to the conventional score board for
success "How much do you make?" is a widely accepted standard measure
of success. However, the degree to which you "want what you have" is
arguably a more real measure of success, security, and happiness.
Additionally, as a goal, wanting what you have encourages more
soul-nourishing behaviour.

A wealthy American woman who does volunteer aid work in a village in
Guatemala said she can only stand to be there for two weeks at a time
because the Indians are "too damn happy." That people living a dozen
per dirt floored shack can find the happiness which eludes her "just
becomes too confronting."

The holes in our hearts cannot be filled with stuff. They can only be
filled with the love of ourselves and others.

2. Follow nature's example

Natural systems are always in dynamic balance with the whole. They
serve to keep us connected, reminding us what is natural. Regular
visits to more pristine wilderness deepens and broadens this
connection, and anchors our souls against currents of cultural
madness.

3. Context is everything

The context must be known in order to determine if a design is "good"
or not. There are no universal solutions. There are approaches and
patterns that can be applied to generate the optimum solution in a
variety of contexts. Context is king in ecological design. In all
cases the greatest efficiency-and performance as well-is achieved
when the power of the tool is well-matched to the task at hand.
Overkill is one of the saddest sources of waste in our society.
Elimination of overkill does not mean sacrifice. The resources saved
by using simple tools for easy tasks can be applied toward more
difficult tasks. Using transportation as an example, walking would be
used when adequate, bicycles for distances too long to walk, buses,
trains, and carpooling for distances too long to bike or in bad
weather, planes for speed or great distances.
By using a mix of transport modes instead of driving as much as
average, my wife and I have saved about $180,000 in our 20 year
driving lives-about what it cost to pay off our house. Cleverly
matching the power of the tool to the task at hand is cheaper,
healthier, lower impact, and more enjoyable-yet ultimately more
powerful than any single solution.

4. Moderate and efficient resource use

Fossil fuels and electricity have severed the connection between
energy source and consumer. One thin pair of wires can invisibly,
silently channel an unbelievable amount of energy without creating a
ripple of awareness. This has enabled our relationship with energy to
skew way out of scale.

To put our energy use in a human, comprehensible perspective, try
measuring it in units of energy slaves (Es). If you shackled a very
fit slave to an exercycle, they could generate about 75 watts of
power, twelve hours a day. This is about what a bike rider expends
cruising on flat land. To make the math easier, we'll round it up
generously to 100 watts = 1 Es This is a level of energy expenditure
which an average American might be able to keep up for thirty minutes
before collapsing. Now look around for energy slaves at work.

A Ford Expedition SUV-1700 energy slaves. Arranged on bikes four
abreast (a bit wider than a standard ten foot road lane) and squeezed
so there was just a few feet between the front wheel of one and the
rear wheel of the next, the Ford Expedition would require a column of
energy slaves nearly a mile long...

A great deal of energy and ingenuity has gone into hiding the supply
and waste systems we use. Effective action follows awareness. Hiding
certain things has caused an "unknowing," and our morals have
developed without critical knowledge. Those who gain from increased
consumption have gained tremendously. All others, especially future
generations, have lost.
Natural designs strive for moderation and awareness in the employment
of energy slaves as well in the use of other resources. When we
weren't living in a cabin, our family has lived happily in tents or
shacks for three of the last ten years.

5. Not too little, not too much: just enough

Voluntary poverty creates a safety net which precludes the worst
excesses of modern life-by simply not having the money to fund
wasteful ways of doing things, even if you are temporarily blinded
into wanting them. Having money, on the other hand, means foregoing
excess is only a matter of will.

Deficiency is stunting, excess is toxic and unbalancing. In most
cases the optimal growth arises from just enough resources. This is
true across a wide spectrum, from nutrition, to emotional needs, to
national economies.

While green consumption is surely a slower path to ecological
annihilation...Consuming less would be a far more effective step. In
ecological design, you're best off to:

Choose the most inherently simple solution, then implement it as well
as possible.
Market economies favor the exact opposite: marketers seek out and
push the fundamentally most expensive solutions, with the option of
shoddy execution or financing if you want to save money up front.
This yields the maximum profit and use of resources.

6. Empower and require individual thought and action

Because natural solutions are context sensitive, it is up to the
people facing a situation to figure out what to do about it and how.
Natural solutions are generally less idiot-proof than current common
practice. They both demand and reward user interaction.

Ecological design places ultimate responsibility for implementing
sensible solutions with local people who have knowledge of local
conditions. Also, many of the systems themselves require independent
thought from users on an ongoing basis.

More than any other feature, it is the interaction of the user with
the design that enables ecological design to be so much more
efficient. For example, recycling requires more thought and action
from people than if they put any solid they don't want in the trash,
and any liquid they're done with down the drain. At least some user
separation is key to tap the substantial economic and ecological
advantages of recycling materials.

Many of the cycles in natural living environments are of such small
scale that they can be maintained by a single individual. The short
feedback loops in natural living environments both suggest and reward
ecological living. The reward is usually in the form of better
performance, lower cost, and ever-increasing awareness. Compounded
over the years, the savings and awareness facilitate a significantly
better quality of life. In contrast, the promotion of high
consumption depends on perpetuating dissatisfaction. Buying into
consumerism is certainly costly, generally dulls awareness, and
yields little long-term fulfillment.

A ubiquitous but unspoken assumption in mainstream design is that the
capacity of the system must almost never limit the user. This
maximizes profits from sale and use of the system, and ensures that
users will learn no conservative habits from the system.

Systems of moderate capacity tend to be cheaper and simpler to build,
and to use less resources. What's more, bumping into the limits of
system capacity system provides useful feedback, which raises
awareness and promotes good habits.

7. True progress

True progress actually solves problems. Most of what is commonly
called "progress" is the relocation of problems out of sight in space
or time.
It is wiser to add new ways alongside the old, rather than completely
and immediately supplant them. By the time the problems of a new
technology are recognized, reinstating old methods where they were
superior is often not feasible: traditional knowledge has been lost,
and/or the resources which the traditional approach requires have
been appropriated for other uses.

8. True comfort

The whole body changes in response to its environment. Head out into
the wilderness and your skin browns and thickens, reaction to bug
bites and poison oak lessens, your stomach shrinks, your feet
toughen, your thyroid cranks the thermostat up or down to maintain
comfort. At high elevation your lung capillarity and red blood cell
count increase. Nerves in your cerebellum connect more intricately to
perform all the calculations needed to keep your balance on rough
terrain, your heart becomes slower and stronger.

Ecological design strikes a balance between short term comfort and
long term comfort from a strong, adaptable, and adapted body. Shelter
doesn't have to be so elaborate-and even the armchair feels better.

9. Natural Harmony

One aspect of the web of life is creatures eating each other.
Another, making music together: finding and refining our part in this
incredible, ever-unfolding, multimedia symphony.

John Todd & Nancy Jack Todd, From Eco-cities to Living Machines (1994)

* The living world is a matrix for all design
* Design should follow, not oppose, the laws of life
* Biological equity should determine design
* Design should reflect bioregionality
* Design should not be dependent on non-renewable energy sources
* Design should be sustainable through the integration of living systems
* Design should be coevolutionary with the natural world
* Building and design should help in healing the planet
* Design should follow sacred ecology

ZERI Design Principles, Lynn Margulis & Karlene V. Schwartz , Five
Kingdoms: An Illustrated Guide to the Phyla of Life on Earth (1997)

1. No one species eats its own waste; whatever is waste for one, is
food for another species belonging to another kingdom

If one species starts to eat its own waste it will deteriorate. When
cattle farmers started to feed cows with waste from other cows they
violated this principle - and it led to the outbreak of mad cow
disease. Shrimp farmers made the same mistake when shrimps were fed
their own waste - leading to white shrimp virus. A lion will eat an
antelope, but would a lion consider the manure of the antelope. There
are exceptions which confirm the rule; occasionally a dog may be
spotted eating its own waste, though this is a matter of
strengthening, challenging its immune system. If an animal were only
ingesting its own waste, and behave as a cannibal, it would never
survive. If industry were to re-use all its own waste, then it
decreases its flexibility and increases the risk of failure.

The waste of one industry should be used as a value-added input for
another industry.

If one species is fed its own waste, it will degenerate.

2. Whatever is a toxin for a species belonging to one kingdom will be
neutral, or a nutrient, for another species in at least one other
kingdom.

As humans we tend to classify things that are toxic only from a human
point of view. We assume that anything that is toxic for us must also
be toxic for all other species in every kingdom. In addition, we view
viruses as universally dangerous. Cyanide and Arsenic are well known
toxin for animals, but several plant species produce it and use it
effectively as a defense against predators. Apples are rich in
cyanide, and so are peaches, though none of these have to be labeled
"dangerous - cyanide inside". If you have a problem with an old gold
mine, and cyanide leaching, simply plant an apple orchard and over
the years the toxins will be eliminated. Probably, the cyanide will
be gone well before the lawyers will come to a final agreement
settling on responsibilities and costs. We simply can not define
toxins solely from the point of view of humans (animals), we need to
assess the importance of toxins from all species belonging to the 5
Kingdoms.

If one species eliminates toxins within its own system, it will degenerate.

3. Whenever highly complex ecosystems operate, viruses to remain
inactive and even disappear without causing harm passing through at
least 2 other kingdom.

The reality, though, is that viruses are kingdom-specific and can be
eliminated if we apply the first design principle. The reason why the
slaughter-house practice of boiling waste meat prior to feeding it to
other cattle won't necessarily work is precisely because of the first
design principle. The prion causing madcow disease could survive high
temperatures. To eliminate the prion or a virus, the left-over waste
meat must go through the other 4 kingdoms. The consumption of
antibiotics is therefore detrimental over time. Indeed, this medicine
could kill the virus but it causes a lot of collateral damage as
well. One dosis of antibiotics reduces the intestinal flora's
efficiency for a couple years, and chemotherapy can all but destroy
the digestive system.

If we attempt to kill viruses within the same system, over time it
will degenerate.

4. The more diverse and local the systems, the more efficient and
resilient their operations. When systems are more efficient and more
resilient, the more diverse and the more local they are operating.

A group of plants and trees in a temperate climate do not feel the
need to bring some fungi from the tropics. The plants and trees in
coexistence and in co-evolution with species belonging to the other
four kingdoms will create the best, most effective system from within
the boundaries of its own micro system. Relating this to our global
economy we see that we want everything from everywhere at any place
and time. We have increased the fragility of our own system because
if one or two links break, the whole system could fall apart. The
more local the activities, the stronger they are - and there will be
much more flexibility as diversity increases. A system that is local
will be more efficient and resilient. Companies are in search of
local supply and better integration into the local economy. Whereas
global (out)sourcing, supply chain management and customer relations
are considered key components of a successful business, the capacity
to be local globally requires a new wave of creative and innovative
strategies.

If non-native species are forced to become part of the ecosystem, it
will degenerate.

5. All kingdoms combined, integrate and separate matter at ambient
temperature and pressure.

A spider makes its nylon-like fiber at ambient temperature and
pressure, from diverse raw materials. The moment the tension drops,
it starts disintegrating. The spider operates at ambient temperature
and pressure with fungi in its guts, and bacteria to control the
process, with plant components as food. The mollusk in the cold water
produces a ceramic that is stronger than bullet-proof ceramic. In
nature, no one knows how to make fire or change pressure at will, yet
products from nature outperform human made artifacts. Industry has
set up a supply chain management which delivers components within
very precise and uniform parameters. All assembly and disassembly
requires high temperature and pressure, causing pollution and
entropy. It is considered that the use of chemistry, temperature and
pressure speed up production and facilitates standardization.
Creativity and innovation on the other hand is the only way to find
the best of both worlds. If industry emulates the "all-inclusive
approach" of nature, it will be able to produce more efficiently, at
lower, cost-slashing energy needs. Whereas this seems impossible
today, it is this type of creative approach that requires a passion
for thinking out of the box. This requires taking risks. This is the
unique role corporations must assume.

When matter is integrated and separated beyond the energy provided by
the sun, without taking into consideration the specific involvement
of each of the five kingdoms, the process will cause entropy.

When business understands the five kingdoms and the four design
principles, as well as the principle of sustainability as defined
before, then it will realize that there is a tremendous potential for
creativity, innovation and leadership redefining the competitive
framework of business for decades to come.

William McDonough & Michael Braungart, with Paul Anastas and Julie
Zimmerman, Cradle to Cradle Design & the Principles of Green Design
(2003)

1. Waste Equals Food.

Waste does not exist in nature because the processes of each organism
contribute to the health of the whole ecosystem. A fruit tree's
blossoms fall to the ground and decompose into food for other living
things. Bacteria and fungi feed on the organic waste of both the
trees and the animals that eat its fruit, depositing nutrients in the
soil in a form ready for the tree to use for growth. One organism's
waste is food for another and nutrients flow indefinitely in
cradle-to-cradle cycles of birth, decay and rebirth. In other words,
waste equals food.

Understanding these regenerative systems allows engineers and
designers to recognize that all materials can be designed as
nutrients that flow through natural or designed metabolisms. While
nature's nutrient cycles comprise the biological metabolism, the
technical metabolism is designed to mirror them; it's a closed-loop
system in which valuable, high-tech synthetics and mineral resources
circulate in cycles of production, use, recovery and remanufacture.

Within this cradle-to-cradle framework, designers and engineers can
use scientific assessments to select safe materials and optimize
products and services, creating closed-loop material flows that are
inherently benign and sustaining. Materials designed as biological
nutrients, such as textiles and packaging made from natural fibers,
can biodegrade safely and restore soil after use. Materials designed
as technical nutrients, such as carpet yarns made from synthetics
that can be repeatedly depolymerized and repolymerized , are
providing high quality, high-tech ingredients for generation after
generation of synthetic products.

2. Use Current Solar Income.

Living things thrive on the energy of the sun. Trees and plants
manufacture food from sunlight, an elegant, effective system that
uses the earth's unrivalled and continuous source of energy income.
Despite recent precedent, human energy systems can be nearly as
effective. Cradle-to-cradle systems-from buildings to manufacturing
processes-tap into current solar income using direct solar energy
collection or passive solar processes, such as daylighting, which
makes effective use of natural light. Wind power-thermal flows fueled
by sunlight-can also be tapped.

This is already beginning to change the energy marketplace. The City
of Chicago, for example, has committed to buying 20 percent of its
electricity from renewable sources by 2006, which is spurring the
local development of renewable energy technology. Indeed, the City
recently opened the Chicago Center for Green Technology, an
ecologically intelligent facility on a restored industrial site that
houses companies involved in developing the local capacity to tap
wind and solar power. Germany, meanwhile, has already harnessed wind
power equivalent to 20 coal-fired power plants and the European Union
plans to generate 22 percent of its electricity from renewable
sources by 2010.

3. Celebrate Diversity.

 From a holistic perspective, natural systems thrive on diversity.
Healthy ecosystems are complex communities of living things, each of
which has developed a unique response to its surroundings that works
in concert with other organisms to sustain the system. Each organism
fits in its place and in each system the fittingest thrive. Needless
to say, long term perspective is needed since even the introduction
of an invasive species can enhance diversity for the immediate term
while virtually destroying that diversity over time.

Nature's diversity provides many models for human designs. When
designers celebrate diversity, they tailor designs to maximize their
positive effects on the particular niche in which they will be
implemented. Engineers might profit from this principle by
considering the cradle-to-cradle maxim, "all sustainability is
local." In other words, optimal sustainable design solutions draw
information from and ultimately "fit" within local natural systems.
They express an understanding of ecological relationships and enhance
the local landscape where possible. They draw on local energy and
material flows. They take into account both the distant effects of
local actions and the local effects of distant actions. The point is
this: Rather than offering the one-size-fits-all solutions of
conventional engineering, designs that celebrate and support
diversity and locality grow ever more effective and sustaining as
they engage natural systems.

Kirk Gadzia, 10 Principles of Holistic Management

1. Nature functions in wholes.

The whole is equal to - not greater than - the sum of its parts and
their interrelationships. To manage holistically, the emphasis is
that the interconnections between the land, people, livestock,
wildlife, water, etc. must be acknowledged. Likewise, rather than
just looking at the economic or financial side of something the
ecological and social implications should also be considered.

2. Understand the environment you manage.

Most farmers and ranchers fight nature. Nature always wins, so to
find sustainability and success, comes when farmers and ranchers aim
to mimic natural systems.

3. Livestock can improve land health.

With management and control of timing, livestock are a beneficial
tool for land health.

4. Time is more important than numbers.

Control of time on the land is the critical factor. The amount of
time is more important than the number of animals that are on the
land. "You control overgrazing by controlling time, and the recovery
period is more important than utilization."

5. Define what you are managing.

This means having a plan; taking stock of what the operation entails.

6. State what you want.

"Holistic management does not function without establishing goals and
values that fit with the quality of life you are trying to achieve."

7. Bare ground is public enemy number 1.

Bare ground is an indicator of whether or not your land management
practices are improving the health of the land.

8. Play with a full deck.

Landowners use all the tools available to solve problems and enhance
their operations. This may include technology, rest, fire, and most
importantly, human creativity.

9. Test your decisions.

Include all involved in the ranch or farm in decision making, so they
have buy-in to the idea, and so that the decision has been
objectively tested. "We routinely see money spent without testing."

10. Monitor for results.

Did what you do work or do more changes need to be made? That's what
monitoring is all about - evaluating and improving for the future.

PERMACULTURE & ECOLOGICAL DESIGN PRINCIPLES - Summary Bullet Points

[...]

* Solutions grow from place
* Ecological accounting informs design
* Design with nature
* Everyone is a designer
* Make nature visible

Art Ludwig from Principles of Ecological Design (2003)

* Transcend market culture
* Alternatives to the conventional score board for success
* Follow nature's example
* Context is everything
* Moderate and efficient resource use
* Not too little, not too much: just enough
* Empower and require individual thought and action
* True progress
* True comfort
* Natural Harmony

[...]

* Waste Equals Food
* Use Current Solar Income
* Celebrate Diversity

Kirk Gadzia, 10 Principles of Holistic Management

1. Nature functions in wholes
2. Understand the environment you manage
3. Livestock can improve land health
4. Time is more important than numbers
5. Define what you are managing
6. State what you want
7. Bare ground is public enemy number 1
8. Play with a full deck
9. Test your decisions
10. Monitor for results

Bill Hill, Sheep Grazier & Wisdom Broker

"Stop growing things that want to die & killing things that want to live"

Frank B. Dole (1915-2001), Darren J. Doherty's maternal Grandfather
'Life's Aphorisms' (see Off the Contour #12 for elaboration)
	*	'I'm to the left of Trotsky'
	*	'To Profit is to Steal'
	*	'Humans are just like Yeast: They eat all of the
Sugar and Die in their own Shit!'
	*	'You need Rural Skills to Survive when the Shit Hits the Fan'
	*	'Listen Carefully'
	*	'Family First'
	*	'Pay off then Have'
	*	'Why Buy what you can Make Yourself'