[Sdpg] Crops, Cattle and Carbon (6/14/11) PODCAST at Commonwealth Club of California, San Francisco

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Jun 28 11:57:14 PDT 2011

Crops, Cattle and Carbon (6/14/11) PODCAST
https://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/archive/podcast/crops-cattle-and-carbon-61411
Play Now
DURATION: 1:04:58
Crops, Cattle and Carbon

Cynthia Cory, Director of Environmental Affairs, California Farm Bureau
Federation
Paul Martin, Director of Environmental Services, Western United Dairymen
Jeanne Merrill, California Climate Action Network
Karen Ross, Secretary, California Department of Food and Agriculture

Making California’s farms more energy efficient, and ensuring that
farmers can adapt to a warmer planet, will be a decades-long challenge,
agrees this panel of experts gathered by Climate One. That a serious
conversation on the linkages between agriculture and climate change even
exists in California is largely thanks to passage of the state’s
landmark climate change law, AB32.

Cynthia Cory, Director of Environmental Affairs, California Farm Bureau
Federation, says the way to sell this new reality to her members, most
of them family farmers, is to focus on the bottom line. “What they think
makes sense, is energy efficiency,” she says.

Jeanne Merrill, Policy Director, California Climate and Agriculture
Network, elaborates on what AB32 could mean for farmers. The proposed
carbon trading system, currently under development by the California Air
Resources Board, would enable a farm, she says, “to reduce its own
emissions, voluntarily, by being part of the carbon market.” Still other
opportunities await farmers. A cap-and-trade system would generate
revenue, a portion of which, her organization argues, “should go for the
key things that we need to assist California agriculture to remain
viable when temperatures rise and water become more constrained.”

Paul Martin, Director of Environmental Services, Western United
Dairymen, says farmers should be guided by a three-legged stool of
sustainability: ethical production, scientific and environmental
responsibility, and economic performance. His distilled message: “We
need organic food because people want it. We need grass-fed because
people want it. We need natural because people want it. And we need
conventional because people want that kind of food.”

California’s new Department of Food and Agriculture Secretary, Karen
Ross, is encouraged that food had finally entered the policy debate, and
expresses optimism that young people will carry it forward. “There’s a
renewed interest in where our food comes from, how it’s produced, and
who is producing it.” She highlights the role of cities in shaping a
more sustainable food policy. “It’s the real intersection of
agriculture, food, health, and nutrition,” she gushes. “Cities are
saying, ‘We can do something about this.’ It’s about identifying open
plots for community gardens. It’s about making sure access to
nutritious, locally grown food is available. It’s about understanding
what it takes to help those farmers on the urban edge, or right in our
local communities.”

This program was recorded in front of a live audience at the
Commonwealth Club of California, San Francisco on June 14, 2011