[Sdpg] Permaculture Courses at the Arboretum! LA/Intro Sat Aug 27/PDC Sept24-Nov 20/2011

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Jul 19 19:51:59 PDT 2011

Permaculture Courses at the Arboretum!
http://www.arboretum.org/index.php/news/permaculture_design_certificate_pdc_course/

Introduction to Permaculture

Saturday, August 27
10am-12noon/ Palm Room
Caitlin Bergman, Instructor
$25 Arboretum members/$28 non-members
Join our exciting, interactive lecture and hands-on demonstrations as we
learn how to create a food forest in our own backyard.  Have you ever
wondered why growing your own vegetables can be so difficult?  Learn to
work like nature, not against it.  Discover a quickly growing revolution
in sustainable gardening where overlooked materials become free
resources, yields increase, work is minimized, and the mutual support
between people and the local environment is restored. This seminar will
give participants an understanding of the key concepts involved in
Permaculture and you'll get to bring home seedballs too!

Dress comfortably. For more information:  www.SayPermaculture.com
• Caitlin is a Certified Permaculture Designer & Educator, holds a
degree in Botany, and is a Soil Foodweb Advisor.  She has also served as
the Arboretum’s Permaculture Garden Curator. Pre-registration preferred;
please call 626.821.4623 to register for classes. You may also email
jill.berry at arboretum.org

Permaculture Design Certificate Course
Fall 2011: Permaculture Design Course (PDC)
8:30am – 5:30pm

DATES:  5 Weekends - Every other weekend: September 24 & 25
October 8 & 9
October 22 & 23
November 5 & 6
November 19 & 20
TUITION:  $1400
·         Includes catered lunch, tea, snacks, and an excellent line-up
of instructors
·         Non-refundable $200 deposit to reserve your place due by August 15
·         Full tuition due by Sept. 12
TO REGISTER: Call: (626) 821-4623 or Email: jill.berry at arboretum.org
  Join us in our 3rd Course – Back by popular demand! Register early as
fills quickly.
  DOUBLE BONUS:

Students attend ‘Soil & Compost’ 2-Day Workshop with Dr. Elaine Ingham
AND 2-Day ‘Garden Like a Forest Workshop’ with award-winning author,
Dave Jacke!

Permaculture is sustainable land-use design based on ecological
principles and ethics.  Its aim is harmonizing habitats and inhabitants
within sustainable cultural, food, shelter, energy, water, and waste
systems.  This hands-on course unites theory with practical
applications. Our transformative 80-hour curriculum prepares individuals
to become pro-active ecological designers, and covers the following topics:

• Permaculture Principles and Ethics           • Rapid Soil Rehabilitation
• Water Harvesting       • Food Forests        • Renewable Energy Solutions
• Animal Systems            • Designing with the Patterns of Nature •
Natural Building     • Aquaculture     • Regenerating Resilient Communities

  The course provides the crucial foundation in systems thinking that
enables individuals to play an active role in holistically regenerating
our landscapes, food systems, and communities. An environment of support
and unity between classmates is fostered, which will enable
collaboration in design projects and a strong network of fellow designers.
Participants become Certified Permaculture Designers upon successful
completion.

Instructors:

Dr. Elaine Ingham, PhD is recognized around the world as a leader in
soil microbiology and research of the soil foodweb.  She is an
energetic, down-to-earth speaker who explains what life in the soil is
all about.  With decades of experience as professor, researcher, and
soil benefactor consulting in the field she’s helped thousands of
homeowners, growers, and influential companies understand healthy soil
via healthy organisms.  Elaine transmits sophisticated information in a
easy-to-understand way.  Her mission is to show that the key to making
any plant thrive, from the turf on golf courses to vegetables in the
garden is to team up with suitable soil microbes.  Elaine has astounding
results to show for it.  Dr. Ingham is President and Director of
Research at Soil Foodweb Inc. (www.SoilFoodweb.com ).
Dave Jacke, primary author of the award winning two-volume book Edible
Forest Gardens, has studied ecology and design since the 1970s, and has
run his own design firm—Dynamics Ecological Design—since 1984. An
engaging and passionate teacher of ecological design and permaculture,
Dave has designed, built, and planted landscapes, homes, farms, and
communities in the many parts of the United States, as well as overseas.
A co-founder of Land Trust at Gap Mountain in Jaffrey, NH, he
homesteaded there for a number of years. Dave holds a B.A. in
Environmental Studies from Simon’s Rock College and a M.A. in Landscape
Design from the Conway School of Landscape Design.

Warren Brush is internationally recognized as a youth educator, mentor,
and Permaculture designer, teacher and lecturer.  For over twenty years
he has worked extensively to foster people’s discovery, expression and
integration of their inherent gifts into the land and communities that
sustain them.  He has co-founded the following organizations and
programs: Quail Springs Learning Oasis and Permaculture
Farm(www.quailsprings.org),  a 450-acre arid land Permaculture
demonstration and educational center located in the southern California
mountains.  His work experience includes nurturing both disadvantaged
and privileged youth and adults in learning place based awareness and
experiencing initiatory processes, and working toward knowing how
“green” and “sustainability looks on the ground.  He has worked
extensively with many constituencies of youth and adults, including
former child soldiers in West Africa.

Caitlin Bergman is certified as both a Soil Foodweb Advisor and a
Permaculture Design Course Instructor.  She received her degree in
Botany from the University of Hawaii, along with numerous awards for her
research involving forest restoration, soil seed bank analyses, and
ethnobotanical surveys.  Caitlin has more recently served as The Los
Angeles Arboretum and Botanic Garden’s (www.arboretum.org) full-time
permaculture curator and Lead Designer of SayPermaculture!
(www.SayPermaculture.com ).   She tutors various colleges, schools, and
residences to educate students and homeowners about putting permaculture
into action.  Caitlin teaches Permaculture Design and consults and
designs with both urban and broadacre holistic, regenerative systems
with the company of which she is Co-Founder:  SweetSoil
(www.Sweet-Soil.com ).  Caitlin’s teaching credits include Edible Forest
Gardening, Lawn to Garden Conversions, Soil Microbiology, Water
Harvesting, and Soil Building. She has studied closely with soil expert
Dr. Elaine Ingham (www.SoilFoodweb.com ) and Edible Forest Gardens
Author, Dave Jacke (www.edibleforestgardens.com). She received her
Keyline Design Certification with Darren Doherty
(http://www.permaculture.biz ).

Adam Wolpert is co-director of the Intentional Communities Program at
Occidental Arts and Ecology Center (OAEC) in the bay area.  He has
lectured on sustainable community and led painting workshops at many
West Coast venues and his painting has been widely exhibited throughout
California. Adam offers workshops on group process and organizational
structure in OAEC trainings and courses. His work can be viewed at
www.adamwolpert.com.

PREVIOUS ARBORETUM PDC GRADUATE TESTIMONIAL:  “Not having a lot of extra
income to spare, I was a bit concerned about the cost of the course. All
of my worries vanished after the first session, never to return. This
course is amazing!  The amount of information covered is phenomenal.
All of the guest speakers bring real world experience with their
teachings.  Caitlin and Dan bring a wealth of world class knowledge to
this course as does every guest speaker.  This course will change your
life for the better.  And allow you to do the same for others.  I have
enjoyed every minute of this course and would highly recommend it to
anyone who is even thinking of taking it.  I took this course because I
wanted to learn more about homesteading, and retire. Now, I want to
start a new business and help others to do the same. Taking this course
was one of the best decisions of my adult life, period.  Massively
educational on an unbelievable scale, this course opened doors to worlds
I never knew existed. I am so grateful to Caitlin, Dan, Dr. Ingham and
all of the instructors for their time and commitment to the course and
to the work in their lives.  I would not hesitate for a moment to
recommend this course to anyone.  It should be taught in all of our
schools.  This PDC course is invaluable. Thank you, thank you, thank you.”
-B. Butterfield
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT:  www.SayPermaculture.com