[Sdpg] The New Normal David Wann is looking for speaking dates in San Diego area /you Tube

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Aug 20 09:52:00 PDT 2011

You Tube the New Normal by Dave Wann
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOX2iIRhr8w&feature=player_embedded

Dave is looking for more speaking date in San Diego area for his talk
the NEW NORMAL
Dave Contact Dave Wann <davewann at comcast.net>  website www.davewann.com
<http://www.davewann.com>
The talk in San Diego is about The New Normal, which presents 33 points
of intervention in systems from agriculture to energy to consumerism, to
create a "social tsunami" that will shift our culture away from
deadlines and dying species, toward lifelines and living wealth.

Welcome to my redesigned website. I hope you find useful ideas and maybe
even inspiration here. For the last twenty-five years I've been
exploring and promoting opportunities for making our way of life less
destructive, more affordable and more satisfying. As a researcher,
practitioner and "traveling salesperson" for a more sustainable
lifestyle, I've examined the way we eat; where we choose to live; what
policies we support; what we manufacture and buy; how we take care of
our health; what we do in our spare time.
I've written 10 books and produced a handful of TV programs about
sustainable communities, agriculture, transportation, restoration of
nature, consumerism, energy... all things sustainable. Now, in my senior
years, I'm trying to identify and report synergies among these systems.
My goal is to create a future scenario in which Americans can experience
twice the satisfaction for half the resources.  That's what the The New
Normal is about. In that book I wrote, "Until we change the direction of
our plug-and-play, no-effort-required lifestyle, we'll continue to be an
endangered as well as dangerous civilization. We'll continue to generate
game-ending carbon dioxide as we convert ecosystems to must-have, easily
broken gadgets and nutrition-free, processed food."
"How can we become a mature civilization when our practices destroy the
source of our wealth?"

It's clear that Americans in particular are tethered to a lifestyle
support system of highways, pipes, wires, airwaves, lines of credit, and
most importantly, an obsolete way of thinking. How can we become a
mature civilization when our practices destroy the source of our wealth:
the living systems and climatic stability that lie beneath the bottom
line of our obsessive-compulsive, often fraudulent economy?  In our
times, we seem trapped between two very powerful forces: institution and
intuition. A harnessed, institutional mindset says, "Full speed ahead --
look what we've created!" But our intuition --- with the full force of
evolution behind it --- cautions, "Slow down -- look what we are
destroying!" Intuition counsels us to rewrite the instructions ---
reprogram our cultural software --- so our world can be more secure,
stable, and sustainable.
We need to more carefully observe the way nature works: In their most
mature, climax stages, biological systems have learned how to optimize
diversity, resourcefulness, and resilience, weaving partnerships among
species to make use of each scrap of resource and each niche.  In the
new era, we'll b