[Sdpg] 9-day Edible Forest Garden Design Intensive with Dave Jacke /Sept 14-23 2012 Portland

Margie Bushman, Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainabilty sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue May 22 08:26:33 PDT 2012

9-day Edible Forest Garden Design Intensive with
Dave Jacke, who was guest speaker at SBCC Center
for Sustainability's Benefit for Mesa Harmony
Gardens (emerging food forest community garden in
Santa Barbara, CA) October 2011...

Edible Ecosystems Emerging: Food Forestry for the 21st Century
9-Day Forest Garden Design Intensive

September 14th - 23rd, 2012
Near Portland, Oregon, USA
Dave rarely teaches on the west coast, please
share this with your friends and colleagues who
might be interested in attending.
This course expected to fill, so please register early!!

With:
    Dave Jacke, primary author of Edible Forest Gardens
    Juliette Jones of Pittsburgh Food Forests, and Friends

  Forest ecosystems exhibit many beneficial
properties we humans would be wise to emulate in
our culture, agriculture and horticulture:
    *    they maintain, renew, fertilize, and
propagate themselves without human inputs;
    *     they build, store, and conserve clean
air, clean water, nutrients, soil quality, and biodiversity; and
    *     they exhibit stability, resilience, and adaptability.

These qualities emerge from the dynamics of the
forest as a whole system, not from any one or
more of the elements that comprise the forest
alone.  To design productive edible ecosystems
that express these same qualities, we must
understand forest structures, functions,
patterns, and processes, and use this knowledge wisely.

In this nine-day intensive course, you will dive
deeply into the vision, theory, and practice of
designing wholesome, dynamic, and resilient
edible ecosystems using temperate deciduous
forests as models.  Dave Jacke and his teaching
team will offer lectures, site walks, and
experiential exercises to help you understand how
the architecture, social structure, underground
economics, and successional processes of natural
forests apply to the design of edible ecosystems of all kinds.

You'll learn a variety of ecological design
processes while designing a range of
food-producing ecologies at our host farm.  We'll
also engage with issues of garden management,
economics, and the deep paradigmatic shifts
required to succeed at cocreating
“humanatural” landscapes and cultures.  You
will leave inspired and empowered to design food
forests at home for yourself, and your friends, neighbors and clients.

Biographies:
Dave Jacke holds a MA from the Conway School of
Landscape Design and was the lead author of the
award winning two-volume book Edible Forest
Gardens. He owns and operates Dynamics Ecological
Design in Greenfield, MA, and teaches forest
gardening and advanced permaculture throughout
the United States, Canada, and overseas. www.edibleforestgardens.com

Juliette Jones designs, installs and manages
urban and community forest gardens through
Pittsurgh Permaculture, including the Hazelwood
Food Forest, the city’s first.  Juliette also
teaches at Phipps Conservatory, and through
Chatham University’s graduate Food Studies
Program.  www.pittsburghpermaculture.org/

  Costs:  Sliding scale from $1,200 to $1,500

     Tuition includes all course materials, all
meals, homestays or tent space, & complete (rustic) facilities.
     Local commuters very welcome, but will be
expected to share all meals if possible.
     All payments above $1,200 go directly to our scholarship fund!
     Scholarship candidates please email Jenny Pell for an application.

Donations to our scholarship fund are greatly
appreciated and can be made by clicking on the "Donate" button below.

Cancellation Policy:  There is a $350
non-refundable deposit to reserve your space.  If
you cancel your registration, you will get a
refund of $850.  Any donations to the scholarship fund are non-refundable.

Available Spots:  We have 27 total spots for this
course.  This class is likely to fill early, as
David Jacke rarely teaches on the West
Coast.  Early registration helps facilitate our
planning enormously ­ thank you  for registering
early and thank you for supporting our scholarship fund if you can.

Keep up with course news at the event facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/393228524053446/

Jenny Pell at Permaculture Now!
hosting Dave, so please contact Jenny directly with any questions.
jennypell at gmail.com
(206) 949-0496
Questions:  Please contact Jenny Pell:  jennypell at gmail.com, (206) 949-0496.
Price: $1200.00 (USD

Margie Bushman
Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.