[Sdpg] valentine mandala garden event

archelonia at cox.net archelonia at cox.net
Mon Jan 28 17:41:44 PST 2013

Happy Valentine Season!

> You are invited to attend a Valentine Season family-friendly event on
> Sunday Feb 10, 9:30 - to 4:00 at 11433 Eucalyptus Hills Drive, Lakeside, CA,
USA
> 92040, on TOP of the hill. Entry to the event is free. For more information
call Jane at (619) 219-9311), or email archelonia at cox.net.
See the attached flier and please spread the word!

Featured at the event will be,

> Garden workshops taught by Jane Higginson, Diploma of Permaculture:
> 9:30 to 11:00 Pea-pole tee pee -- Learn how to build a tee pee trellis
> to grow an edible house out of pea vines. Learn how to "sheet mulch."
> 11:10 to 12:30 Mandala (circle) garden -- create a circular garden with "key
> hole beds" that has a minimal amount of path space per growing area, and is
also
> an archetypal healing shape. Learn how to "sheet mulch."
> 1:30 to 3:00 Pollinator garden workshop -- Learn about native pollinators,
what
> species live in our area, the multifaceted importance of their conservation,
and
> how to provide habitat for them. Learn how to select and plant natives for
your
> area. This workshop will emphasize native bees and butterflies.
>
> Workshop prices are $10 each, ($27 for the series of three), with 50%
discounts
> for kids under 12 and 20% discounts for students. If your budget is tight, ask
> for payment alternatives, such as work-trade, by calling Jane at (619)
219-9311 by Feb. 2.

> Original Art: There will be a professional artist, Erin Harold, to draw
> portraits for you and your Valentine (prices arranged).
>
> Music: Ivan Soto will entertain you with live acoustical music (tips
> appreciated).
>
> Gifts for your Valentine -- Many interesting plants will be for sale, as well
as
> used books on gardening, nature, and science for kids and grownups. Other
> intriguing and hand-made gifts will be for sale at reasonable prices. Give
something original and "different" to your Valentine!

> Driving directions are provided from the west and the east (if you need
directions from a different way, please call Jane (619) 219-9311):

> From the west, via I-8 east -- Pass El Cajon, Main Street and Johnson Ave.
Take Highway 67 north (Lakeside/Ramona exit). Stay to the left to AVOID the
mandatory off-ramp to Prospect. Keep going a couple more miles and exit at
Riverford Rd. Get in far left lane. Turn left onto Woodside and make an
immediate left again at Riverford Rd. Turn right at the first "7-11" onto
Riverside Dr.  Turn left at the second "7-11" onto Palm Row. Follow Palm Row and
it veers to the left and becomes Oak Creek Drive. Take Oak Creek Drive uphill
for about a mile. Turn right at Eucalyptus Hills Drive. Go about 1/2 mile and
pass Broken Wheel Rd. (watch for the real broken wheel on display). You may turn
right immediately after Broken Wheel into the driveway of 11433 Eucalyptus Hills
Drive. Park in the driveway and walk to the top of the hill to the little dark
brown cottage, or you may continue up to the first dirt driveway on your right
and drive to the top of the hill and park there.

> From the east, via I-8 west-- Pass Alpine. Keep going to Lakeside. Get off at
Lake Jennings Road exit. Turn Right. Go up and over Lake Jennings Park Road by
the dam. At the bottom of the hill, go straight through the stop sign; the road
will become Mapleview. Follow Mapleview St. until you reach the big intersection
and multiple stop lights at Highway 67. Go straight through that intersection --
do NOT get on Hwy. 67. Go a country block to Channel Road and turn right. At the
next light, veer left and the road becomes Riverside Dr. Pass the fire station
and make the first right at Valle Vista Rd. Follow that uphill for about two
miles and veer left onto Eucalyptus Hills Drive. Stay on Euc. Hills Dr., pass
Pinehurst and Rocoso Rd., and wind up the hill (go slow --be CAREFUL for the
hairpin blind curve at the top). As you begin to go down the hill, you will see
11433 Euc. Hills Dr. on the left. You may park in the driveway, or use it to
turn around and go back up the hill to the first dirt driveway on your right
(where the hairpin curve is).