[Sdpg] water happenings in your neighborhood

Brook Sarson brook at h2o-me.com
Fri Mar 8 18:54:40 PST 2013

Hey San Diego!

So much exciting news on the rainwater/greywater front!  It seems we
are gaining more awareness in the public sector!  We have tons of
upcoming workshops across the board and across the county.  Look out
for one near you!

GREYWATER:
In this recent article, you can see that City Council is taking note
of the importance of greywater as a solution to long term water supply
issues.  In doing so they are seeking to eliminate permitting
requirements for small greywater systems, meaning single-family home
shower systems.  They are also seeking to increase public awareness
and education along with sourcing rebates.  Tell your councilmemeber
you support these moves to strengthen our local water supply by
reducing the need for imported water.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/mar/02/graywater-San-Diego-water-conservation/

If you want to learn more about what greywater is about, how to
implement it in your own home, and how cost effective it can be, come
to one of our upcoming greywater installation workshops:
http://sdsustainable.org/event/laundry-to-landscape-greywater/
March 16th in Serra Mesa
March 24th in Encinitas
And learn more about what difference each house can make by learning
more about the Great Greywater Challenge!  If you already have a
system, add it to the map!
http://sdsustainable.org/services-and-programs/the-great-greywater-challenge/

Check out the Olive Branch Green Building Supply as your local
resource for greywater kits, info, and Oasis Soap.  They are open
Fridays and Saturdays.
http://www.olivebranchgbs.com/

RAINWATER

> I'm super excited about the new rebate upgrades to $1/gallon.  That
> means customers can get a free 500 gallon tank, since they cost just
> under $400!  If every single family home(290,608) in City of SD put
> in at least 500 gallon tanks, that would be 14,5304,000 gallons of
> local water!

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/conservation/residentialoutdoor/resrainwaterharvesting.shtml

Come to our upcoming Rainwater Tank Installation Workshop, April 13th
in Clairemont Mesa to learn where to get the tank and all the parts,
and how to install it yourself.

http://sdsustainable.org/event/installing-a-rainwater-harvesting-tank-101/

There's also an all day workshop in Fallbrook on March 30th to help
you understand how Earthworks can be applied in your landscape to
eliminate erosion or pooling without expensive landscaping
alternatives like drain installation.
http://sdsustainable.org/event/rainwater-harvesting-earthworks/

If you want to start small, Check out an Rain Barrel Making workshop
being held at Organic Hammer in Encinitas, April 27th
http://organichammer.com/workshops

SOUTH BAY

Water Harvesting Garden Tour, April 6th 4-6.  This is going to be at
the home of a water harvester who has 2 x 1500 gallon rainwater tanks
that fill up early each rainy season and water a veggie garden and
fruit orchard as well as a laundry to landscape system.  We will have
wine and cheese and I and other local experts will be onhand to
discuss the intricacies of the system as well as answer any questions
you might have.  Look for the announcement soon from sdsustainable.org

PERMACULTURE

If you are interested in Permaculture or want to learn more about
sustainable agriculture, gardening, community building, join the
upcoming Permaculture Design Class starting in April.  I don't know
anyone who wasn't transformed by the experience!
http://sdsustainable.org/event/permaculture-design-course-spring-2013/

LOCAL RESOURCES

sdsustainable.org is a great place to start looking for information
and resources on sustainability across the board
City College Sustainable Agriculture Certificate Program is an amazing
opportunity for San Diegans to learn more about growing food: http://www.sdcity.edu/Agriculture
Organic Hammer (http://organichammer.com/) in Encinitas is a great
place to take amazing classes on Urban Homesteading as well as a
resource to get good and materials for every day sustainability.

ORANGE COUNTY

There are some really amazing things happening just north of us in
Orange County.  It's only an hour or so away if you can escape for the
weekend.
Check out the Ecology Center for great sustainability workshop and
resources.  http://www.theecologycenter.org/about  It's on the site of
South Coast Farms which is a beautiful organic farm.  I'll be doing a
greywater installation workshop there on March 16th
Transition Laguna http://www.transitionlaguna.org/ is having a
greywater workshop on March 16th also
Earthroots Field School is a fantastic resource for educators and
parents alike who want to connect children with nature.  The upcoming
Wilderness Awareness Workshops on March 17th are one of kind for
Southern California.  I hope to see you there!  Bring your kids!  http://earthrootsfieldschool.org/classes/wilderness-awareness-workshops/

Please remember I offer consultations if you are interested in getting
a better understanding of your onsite water resources and strategies
that can help you reduce your water consumption and increase your
productivity.  I focus on efficiency, effectiveness, and
sustainability on an individual level with an eye to where we all fit
in as individuals to our greater community!  Be part of the solution!