[Sdpg] Introduction to Cob Building Workshop Sept. 25-29, 2013

Lindsay Allen lindsay at quailsprings.org
Tue Sep 10 16:20:13 PDT 2013

Introduction to Cob Building Workshop Sept. 25-29, 2013

Quail Springs Permaculture is happy to be offering a 5 day introduction to
Cob building workshop this Month!

Cob building combines clay sediment, sand, fiber, and water, which is then
hand sculpted to form walls, benches, ovens, and fireplaces. Cob building
makes use of readily available, affordable, non-toxic materials to build
beautiful, organic structures.

The course is appropriate for both first-time builders and for professionals
in the building trade who are interested in natural materials.  In this
five-day cob workshop, we focus on the characteristics of the natural
materials most commonly used in construction:  clay soil, sand, and fibers.
Our main focus will be cob, though we will touch on various other building
techniques that utilize the same materials, including adobe block, light
straw-clay, wattle and daub, and plasters. We will discuss how to find and
choose appropriate soil for construction, how to create various mixes, how
to attach wood to earthen walls, and how to use earthen materials to build
walls, sculpt niches, shelves, and furniture.

This is primarily a hands-on course, where we learn by doing. We will be
building a small structure from start to finish.  As a complement to the
hands-on portion of the course, we will include slide shows and discussions
of the theoretical aspects of natural building.  Subjects include building
design and siting, passive solar design, foundations and drainage, earthen
floors, appropriate roof design, and wiring and plumbing for natural
structures.

Instructor:  Sasha Rabin, Natural Builder and Teacher

Sasha Rabin has been practicing natural building as well as teaching it
since 2002, when she began her building career with an  apprenticeship at
the Cob Cottage Company.  Since then she has taught all over the US through
the organizations that she co-founded, Seven Generations Natural Builders
and Vertical Clay, as well as collaborated with other schools and
organizations including The Yestermorrow Design Build School, The Canelo
Project, The Solar Living Institute, Quail Springs Permaculture, as well as
taught at the Permaculture Research Institute in Jordan.   Although she
enjoys building, her true passions lie in the teaching and sharing natural
building with others.

Cost: $500

Early bird discounts:

Register by Aug 15 $430