[Sdpg] November 13-15 2013 2013 Quivira Conference Albuquerque, New Mexico

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Sep 16 10:57:10 PDT 2013

The 2013 Quivira Conference will explore the theme of Inspiring Adaptation. We will hear from scientists, ranchers, farmers, conservationists, urban planners and others who have bright ideas and important tools to share from their adaptation toolbox.

Wednesday - Friday, November 13-15, 2013
Embassy Suites Hotel
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Don't wait too long! We are one third toward our capacity limit for registrations. It's likely we will sell out before the deadline of November 5th.
http://www.quiviracoalition.org/

Day 1 - Wednesday, November 13

Half-Day Workshop, 12:00-5:00pm
“Adaptation 101: Integrating Regenerative Agricultural Soil, Water & Carbon Practices in your Operation”

Rancher, Dennis Moroney, from the 47 Ranch in McNeal, Arizona will open the afternoon. Dennis makes an extremely compelling case for agricultural diversification in the face of climatic and market uncertainty. He will describe the way that his family has made the shift from a traditional cow/calf ranch to as extremely diversified agrarian enterprise (cows, horses, farming, sheep, goats, olives, high tunnels, irrigated land, apprenticeship, heritage breeds, permaculture, etc...), and how that shift has increased their social, ecological, and economic resilience.

Keyline Land Planning expert, Darren Doherty of the Regrarians Ltd. social enterprise, will build on Dennis’ presentation with an interactive four hour workshop. A weak link in many farm and ranch production landscapes is an ineffective layout that fails to make best use of the geography, reflect the climate and ensure that water supplies exceed enterprise needs. To reach these base objectives, Darren has developed the “Regrarian Platform.” In this half day workshop, he will integrate the world's most effective land management methodologies, with a focus on Keyline Design, using real life examples from the Quivira community. There is a good chance that many people in the audience will be familiar with one or more of the individual principles that Darren will discuss, but Darren will challenge the audience to put the different principles to work together on the land. See Darren in action here on this Ted-X style talk.

Wednesday Evening
5:30-7:15pm - Private Dinner with Gary Snyder and Jack Loeffler
A fundraiser for the Quivira Coalition

5-7pm Join SWGLA and their network of grass-fed/local livestock enthusiasts for a Dinner of grass-fed brisket and guest speaker Gary Nabhan: "Planning for Uncertainty: The Wisdom of the Desert." There will also be a short live auction, updates on SWGLA activities and election of new officers. All are welcome. $35/pp for SWGLA members and $45/pp for non-members with registration by November 7th. Register Now. For more information contact Laurie Bower, Director at info at grassfedlivestock.org or (970) 390-5597

7:30pm
We are honored to present "Inspiration" with renowned speakers
GARY SNYDER and
JACK LOEFFLER

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC (book signing following)

Proceeds benefit the Quivira Conference. Tickets are $30. Purchase Now. (This is not a dinner.)

Gary Snyder. In an essay published in A Controversy of Poets, Snyder offered his own assessment of his art. “As a poet,” he wrote, “I hold the most archaic values on earth. They go back to the late Paleolithic: the fertility of the soil, the magic of animals, the power-vision in solitude, the terrifying initiation and rebirth; the love and ecstasy of the dance, the common work of the tribe. I try to hold both history and wilderness in mind, that my poems may approach the true measure of things and stand against the unbalance and ignorance of our times.” Snyder is a winner of the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry. Read more...

Jack Loeffler. Jack Loeffler lives and loves what he does. As an “a-u-r-a-l historian” he devotes his life to working with indigenous cultures and recording their relationships to the land. Jack records the nature sounds, the music and the stories of these groups to develop an environmental consciousness for the world. As his Navajo friend Shonto Begay wrote, “By documenting the voices and stories of the land Jack, moves us and helps us to rediscover our own voices.” Read more...

Day 2 - Thursday, November 14

All day plenary session 8am-5pm
Speakers include Renata Brillinger, Dr. Jonathan Overpeck, Dr. Gary Paul Nabhan, Rodrigo Rodriguez, Tom Sidwell, and Pati and Terrie from TCEDC.

Thursday Evening - New Agrarian Career Connection
Quivira recognizes the urgent need to connect experienced land owners/managers and conservation leaders with the next generation of people who will be responsible for growing our food and stewarding our planet. Join us for our Annual New Agrarian Career Connection event on the second evening of the 2013 Quivira Conference.The purpose of the New Agrarian Career Connection event is to create the ideal conditions for conversing with like-minded people, exploring apprenticeships and partnerships, learning about land transfer opportunities – thereby helping to ensure the future of American agriculture. This event will be open to all and free of charge. Contact Virginie for more information.

Day 3 - Friday, November 15

All day plenary session 8am-5pm
Speakers include Nils Christoffersen, Dr. Deborah Finch, Amy Haak, USDA Forest Service, The Nature Conservancy-Colorado and Bill Zeedyk.

Friday evening - Awards Banquet honoring the Quivira Coalition's 2013 Clarence Burch and Radical Center award winners. This meal will be as local and organic as possible.

Read more about the Conference, Registration and Speakers
http://www.quiviracoalition.org/

Don't wait to register; last year's conference sold out early!

Please help us promote this event to everyone you know who might be interested in attending. Forward this newsletter! Thank you.

For answers to questions or more information, contact:
Catherine Baca
Conference Director
cbaca at quiviracoalition.org