No subject

Thu Nov 14 21:20:38 PST 2013

This Earth Day issue of our newsletter has a new name: The Big Picture. It
expresses our belief that everything is interconnected and that we must do
a better job of understanding the connections to sustain life on Earth.

Connecting the issues is not new for the San Diego Economic Conversion
Council (SDECC). We were founded by people who connected the issues of jobs
and peace. They recognized that reductions in military spending meant
unemployment to many who depended on it for their livelihood. SDECC was
established to help convert jobs and facilities to socially useful civilian
production.

As participants in economic development, we saw that the single-minded
focus on job creation often failed to consider environmental or social
concerns. We adopted the San Diego Permaculture Center to strengthen our
ability to promote sustainable community economic development and to create
jobs that truly care for the earth and care for the people.

We don't  presume to have the big picture or to include all the issues in
just two pages. But we do plan to make the connections between diverse
topics and we hope it will help you choose sustainability in your life.

Marcia Boruta, the Editor

******
"Peace & Permaculture" Promoted in Jerusalem & Beyond

In January, HopeDance Magazine published our article on "Peace through
Permaculture: Choosing a Sustainable Way of Life." (1)  The article was
written in response to the events of September 11th.  We are honored that
the article has been adapted by others.

In Jerusalem,  the article was transformed to promote the Sustainable
Jerusalem - Peaceful Permaculture Project: In Jerusalem we've been
cultivating the links between peace and permaculture since 1998, when the
Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel established a compost and
urban gardening program as a holistic strategy to foster community-based
solutions to restore soil, water and biodiversity for all residents of
Jerusalem's diverse communities.... The path of "peace through
permaculture" offers a more hopeful solution than "peace through military
attack-retaliation." We encourage people from all communities in Jerusalem
to visit us to learn more about permaculture and join us on the pathway for
a sustainable Jerusalem for all. People are asked to visit the website of
Hopeflowers (just south of Bethlehem) and support their school garden. (2)

"Presbyterians for Restoring Creation" (PRC) published a summary of the
article in their Winter 2002 newsletter. PRC is "a faith community
dedicated to environmental wholeness with social justice, seeking to be a
prophetic voice for substantive change in the church and in the world."
PRC is planning a major Eco-Justice Conference, July 11-14 in Oregon, on
"Earth's Energy, God's Light: Faithful Responses to the Energy Crisis."
Their newsletter has substantial information on energy issues, including
the new "Interfaith Climate Change Network" and resources for Earth Day
Sunday services. (3)

Locally, EarthSave San Diego (4), one of the cosponsors of the annual
"Great American Meatout," has forwarded the article to U.S. Congressman
Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio).  Rep. Kucinich is a vegan member of Congress and
cosponsor of legislation (HR 3616) to create a "Department of Peace." His
moving article, "Prayer for America," calls on us to challenge the "Patriot
Act" and stop the war. (5)

Thanks to all who are spreading the word about peace and permaculture!
Marcia Boruta will speak on the topic April 11 at the Santa Barbara EcoFilm
Fest sponsored by the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network. Call us at (619)
298-8879 for a presentation to your group.
(1) www.hopedance.org/issue32/articles/boruta.htm
(2) www.mideastweb.org/hopeflowers
(3) www.pcusa.org/prc
(4) www.earthsave.org
(5) www.vegsource.com/articles/kucinich_prayer.htm

*******
April 13 - Forum on San Diego's Energy Future
We are cosponsoring a free forum hosted by the San Diego League of Women
Voters to inform citizens, policy makers, and community leaders about the
issues involved in planning San Diego's Energy Future and to stimulate
public dialogue and discussion.  The forum is Saturday, April 13, 9 am-12
noon, at the Recital Hall in Balboa Park.

The Energy Forum will focus on two topics: 1) Public Sector Involvement:
Issues & Opportunities, and 2) Who is Planning San Diego's Energy Future?
Speakers include representatives from the City of San Marcos, County
Taxpayers Association (Invited), San Francisco Solar Bond Initiative, City
of San Diego, California Power Authority, San Diego Regional Energy Office,
San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Utility Consumers Action Network
(UCAN), and San Diego Gas & Electric.  The program will be moderated by
Mark Bernstein, Director, Energy and Environment, RAND Corporation.
Refreshments will be served and registration is not required.  Funding for
this event is provided by the League of Women Voters of California
Education Fund through a grant by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
For more info, see www.lwvsandiego.org

******
National Security & Military Spending
The "War on Terrorism" is being used to justify huge increases in military
spending, but most of the projected increases have nothing to do with
stopping terrorism. For example, President Bush gave Russia notice that the
U.S. will withdraw from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty effective
June 13, 2002 in order to develop a National Missile Defense System, but
terrorists don't need long range missiles to attack us.  It is time to stop
these developments. The best way to improve our national security is to
redirect money from the military and arms trade to social programs at home
and humanitarian aid abroad. We urge you to learn about the alternatives
and communicate with your congressional representatives. For more
information:
* War Resisters League: www.warresisters.org
* Center for Defense Information: www.cdi.org
* Institute for Space & Security Studies: www.rmbowman.com
* National Priorities Project: www.natprior.org
* On April 28  the San Diego Coalition for Peace & Justice will hold a
teach-in on "Global Justice or Perpetual War."            Info:
www.sdcpj.org or call  (619) 263-9301

******
Introduction to Permaculture - May 18
You've heard the word, now find out more about "permaculture," an
ethics-based, ecological design process for meeting human needs.  The San
Diego Permaculture Center is offering an "Introduction to Permaculture"
workshop on Saturday, May 18, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at our office, 4452 Park Blvd.
Suite 205.  The workshop includes a half-mile walking tour through the
historic neighborhood of University Heights. The workshop is free (but
donations are graciously accepted).  Space is limited, so please RSVP to
(619) 298-8879.

******
School-Community Gardens Initiative
The City of San Diego and the San Diego Unified School District are
updating their "joint-use agreement" for school playing fields that are
shared as parks with the community.  In March, we spoke before the City of
San Diego Park and Recreation Board to support expanding the types of joint
use activities to include School-Community Gardens:

"A joint-use garden can provide an instructional setting for students and a
place for community members to get in touch with the earth and involved
with the school.  Students, parents, and community members can extend the
collaboration by planting and tending demonstration gardens in neighborhood
parks and open space areas.  Food produced in the School-Community Garden
could be used to improve student nutrition or form the beginnings of a
"Community Supported Agriculture" project.  School-Community Gardens can be
a way to build community."

We're currently promoting a school-community garden at Alice Birney
Elementary School in our office neighborhood of University Heights.  We
welcome collaboration with others who want to do the same at their
neighborhood schools. Call us at (619) 298-8879.

******
California South Coast Permaculture Guild
The San Diego Permaculture Center is part of a network that maintains an
email listserve and a monthly events newsletter.  To subscribe to the San
Diego listserve, go to www.arashi.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sdpg.

******
Earth Fair in Balboa Park - April 21
San Diego's Earth Fair is the largest in the country!  We hope you'll go
(preferably by mass transit) and visit the EarthMomma.com booth where the
proceeds from sales of responsibly made products will go to benefit the San
Diego Permaculture Center. Thanks to Laura Emerick, owner of Earth Momma,
for making this contribution!

******
Organic Gardening Weekend - May 3 - 5
Camp Stevens in Julian is the environmental education center of the
Episcopal Dioceses of Los Angeles and San Diego and offers many practical
examples of sustainable living in action.  On May 3-5, they are offering an
instructional workshop on "Planting Your Summer Garden: An Organic
Gardening Weekend." This hands-on introductory course will cover all the
basics of organic gardening. Topics to be covered include: Garden design
and planning, French-intensive techniques, crop selection, composting,
greenhouse management, soil fertility enhancement, pruning and harvesting.
This program is offered in conjunction with the Permaculture Institute of
Southern California. Program begins with supper on Friday and ends with
lunch on Sunday. Cost $50.00.  Info: www.campstevens.org or (760)-765-0028.

******
Sustainability Circles
Taking action in your community to promote sustainability is the idea
behind "Sustainability Circles."  What form it takes is up to you and the
group you convene. For example, this year two groups have formed
"Permaculture Circles" to educate themselves about permaculture and help
each other implement it in their own backyards.  For info about the "East
County PC" contact Barb at bslind at earthlink.net; for the sister-circle
"West County PC" contact Candy at cyberhuts at worldnet.att.net. Barb and
Candy have offered to share info with others who want to form
"PermaCircles." If you're interested in participating in a Sustainability
Circle in your community or zip code, call us at (619) 298-8879.

******
Volunteer Workdays at Colonia Esperanza
Looking for hands-on experience?  Each month artist James Hubbell &
permaculturist Bill Roley gather volunteers to work at two schools in
Tijuana.  The ongoing project includes tiling, gardening, and a variety of
construction projects.  Upcoming workdays are April 20 and May 18.
Volunteers meet at 8:30 a.m. at the H St. trolley parking lot in Chula
Vista to carpool. Work is usually from 9:30 to 3 p.m.  For info, call James
Hubbell (760) 765-3427 or Christine Brady (619) 585-9009 or see
www.americasfoundation.net.

******
Straw Builders Conference - May 10-12
The CA Straw Builders Association (CASBA) will hold their Spring Conference
May 10-12 at Pine Manor, Lake Elsinore.  For info about the conference and
ongoing strawbale building workshops, contact Bob Bolles at
bob at strawbalehouse.com

******
Walkable Communities
Learn more about walkable communities on the "Feet First Walking Tours" 10
a.m.-12 noon, April 13 (Hillcrest), May 11 (Mission Hills), and June 8
(Park West).  For info, visit www.walksandiego.org or call Andy Hamilton
(858) 650-4671.