[Sdpg] Adventures in New Economics 1: Street School Economics, Dr Gail Bradbrook

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Oct 30 06:34:10 PDT 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rUk-r0G1eQ&feature=youtu.be

This is the first of 12 talks given during the autumn of 2013 on Adventures in New Economics - a wide-ranging speaker series covering the key topics in new economic thinking today, presented by Transition Town Totnes, Totnes REconomy Project, and Schumacher College.

We can't leave economics to Economists! So says Dr Gail Bradbrook from Street School Economics. The dominant theory and practice is neo-liberalism, it's a choice. Yet the myths suggest that it is an emergent property, the economy just happens, so we have to accept it, policy makers can only twiddle at the edges. Street School Economics is about feeling empowered to talk about the failings of the current system. It shows how an economy works, the links between the key issues of debt, inequality and environmental depletion and how corruption and vested interest maintains the status quo. We will share ideas on how to talk about economics with other people, with practical examples of what has been tried. This can open doors to talking about the alternatives and putting them into practice through the work of transition.

This talk was given on October 2nd in Totnes and was arranged with Schumacher College and Transition Town Totnes & the REconomy project.

For more information visit:
http://www.schumachercollege.org.uk
http://www.reconomy.org
http://streetschooleconomics.wordpres...
Category
Education
License
Creative Commons Attribution license (reuse allowed)