[San Diego, CA Permaculture] Permaculture for Youth & Child Educators Portland June 21-27/July 19-25/Aug 3-8 2015

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon May 4 08:19:18 PDT 2015

Intro to Permaculture and Foundations Course
June 21st-27th or
July 19th-25th, 2015
Portland, Oregon
http://www.permaculture.us.com/foundations/
The Foundations Course is designed for parents, teachers and mentors of children ranging in age from early childhood to high school who desire to explore how to integrate permaculture ethics & principles into their school, classroom, community, curriculum and teaching design. Depending on the constellation of the course participants, some of the time we will be working together as a large group, and other times we may hold break-out groups focused on early childhood, grade school, middle and high school.

Many hands-on and experiential aspects will be integrated into the course, modeling and practicing these and related topics:

Application of PC Principles to Teaching
Nature Crafts & Activities
Temperaments, Child Development & Classroom Management
Curriculum Format for PC+Common Core
Basics of Site Design
Learning Styles and Diversity
Forest & Garden-Based Learning
Education Through Movement & Story

This course illuminates ways that permaculture can be applied to all aspects of teaching and weaves in best practices of both implicit and explicit permaculture methods as essential elements of your teaching design. This course is very hands-on. We teach using many different learning styles as a way to model doing this for children. Each day begins with a morning activity designed to model teaching to different age groups, followed by interactive lectures, activities and workshops. The last day of the course is a 'Family Activity Day' during which we open our site to the public and our course participants will present an activity to adults or children of a variety of ages as a final project for the course. You will receive instructor and peer evaluations and will be issued a certificate of completion by Institute of Permaculture Education for Children.

*Permaculture coursework (at least a 12+ hour 'Intro to PC') is a prerequisite for the Foundation Course. We offer an Intro to Permaculture weekend June 20-21 and again July 18 & 19 (9am-4pm) that fulfills this requirement for an additional $120. CEC/CEU's and college credits are also available for this course through Lewis & Clark College. Please download the form here. Any questions about the CEC or college credits need to be directed to the contact at Lewis & Clark that is listed on the form. Thank you.

This course is six full days (Monday through Saturday) from 8:45 to 5pm each day, with an introductory evening the Sunday before (5pm-8pm). This course schedule has been carefully designed to support the needs of the participants. We therefore require all participants to attend the whole course in its entirety. Unless an exception (extenuating circumstances only) is approved by the teachers in advance of the start of the training, we will not issue certificates to anyone that comes late or leaves early. If you are flying in from out of town to take this course, please schedule flights that arrive with plenty of time to settle into your housing and transportation arrangements in order to arrive on time to the orientation evening. Please do not schedule a departing flight any earlier than 8pm on the last day of the course (Saturday). The last day of the course is the final project presentation and attendance is required. Thank you!

Aug 3rd - 8th, 2015

Portland, Oregon
Advanced Course ($580)
http://www.permaculture.us.com/advancedcourse/

Foundations AND Advanced Training (includes Intro) $1000
This option is for those who wish to take both the Foundations AND Advanced courses in the same year.  This price also includes the Intro to Permaculture when needed.  Please note the additional 3% added in order to cover the costs of online payment processing.

This advanced course is designed for parents, teachers and mentors of children ranging in age from early childhood to high school who desire to delve more deeply into implicit and explicit permaculture design techniques that reach the heart of the work of the educator. We will be navigating the design of educational reform using avenues such as Theater of the Oppressed, Core Routines for Deep Nature Connection and Traditional Skill Building in order to build PC into your curriculum and school community design. Your final project will include curriculum written specifically for your upcoming school year.

The design of this course caters to the myriad of learning styles and includes the following topics:

Nature Skills & Awareness Building

Mentorship & Natural Cycles in Educational Design

Curriculum Writing Customized for Your Classroom

Technical Site Design Methods

Strategic Community Building

Program Leadership & Administration

Exploring Power, Oppression, Grief & Privilege in Learning Communities

Transformative Storytelling

This course is designed to unpack social and logistical memes that have disconnected education from real life. By applying PC design methods both implicitly and explicitly, we can dislodge limitations and liberate ourselves as educators. This course is primarily interactive and invites participants into traditional skill-building and active contemplation of how relationships inform one's capacity for learning. We will be translating our experiences into a refined written curriculum as a final project. Upon course completion, you will be issued an Advanced Permaculture Design Certificate from Institute of Permaculture Education for Children.

*A Permaculture Design Certificate and/or completion of our Foundational Course (this includes holding an Advanced Certificate from our full courses offered 2011-2014) is a prerequisite for this Advanced Training. CEC/CEU's and college credits are also available for this course through Lewis & Clark College. Please download the form here. Any questions about the CEC or college credits need to be directed to the administrative contact at Lewis & Clark that is listed on the form. Thank you.

This course is six full days (Monday through Saturday). Unlike the Foundations Course, there is NOT an additional introductory evening or Intro to Permaculture weekend leading up to this course. The schedule has been carefully designed to support the flow and integration of the content for the participants. Therefore, we require all participants to attend the whole course in its entirety. Unless an exception (extenuating circumstances only) is approved by the teachers in advance of the training, we will not issue certificates to anyone that comes late or leaves early. If you are flying from out of town to take this course, please schedule flights that arrive the day before the course begins and that leave no earlier than 8pm on the evening of the last day of the course (Saturday). Participation in the last day is a requirement. Thank you.