[San Diego, CA Permaculture] Please post this workshop

Permaculture Workshops permaculture at skymountain.org
Sat Aug 29 09:16:31 PDT 2015

Earth Surgery - Rainwater Harvesting with Earthworks

When: September 12 and 13 from 9:00AM to 4:00 PM
Where: San Diego

The strengthening El Niño in the Pacific Ocean has the potential to become one of the most powerful on record, as warming ocean waters surge toward the Americas, setting up a pattern that could bring once-in-a-generation storms this winter to drought-parched California.
In anticipation of catching the rain, join us as we begin an exciting project to transform a barren San Diego one acre hillside to a water abundant food forest paradise. During this two day hands-on workshop with local water harvesting expert, Alden Hough of Sky Mountain Permaculture, you will discover how to drought proof small scale to large scale landscapes using earthworks, how to prevent erosion and how to create nutrient dense biologically active soil. We will be using earthmoving machines to construct a hugelkultur swale and small road to harvest rainwater. In the future the owners plan on installing a pump to collect water from the road and pump it up to storage tanks higher on their property.

You will learn:
- How to read the land
- Different types of earthworks and why we use them
- How to locate and mark contour lines on your land
- How to use survey equipment and design swales - How to size and install a pump
- How to direct heavy equipment
- Which plants to choose to create food forests in our climate zone, with an emphasis on drought tolerant fruit trees, shrubs and vines

Wear work clothes and shoes and bring work gloves, a hat, water bottle and sun screen. Snacks, tea and water will be provided. Please bring your own vegetarian lunch. The closest place to buy food is in Lemon Grove which is 2 miles away. Also please bring a shovel and/or rake if you have one (we have extra if you do not)

Workshop fee: $50 for the weekend or $30 for one day.

Register at:  peraculture at skymountain.org

Directions: The address is 6448 Scimitar Drive, San Diego, CA 92114 (in Encanto, nearLemon Grove). Since the address takes you to the mailbox and not to the house, to get there look up 6405 Eider Street. Go up the hill at the mail box for 6405 Eider, and it¹s the second house on the right at the top of the hill (salmon colored, with some brick).