[Santa_Cruz_Permaculture] *PR/March 25 & 26/Cities As the Solution Series/Waste & Recycling Event/SBCC Center for Sustainability

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Mar 10 07:19:35 PST 2011

Press Release:
Contact: Margie Bushman
Coordinator SBCC Center for Sustainability
(805) 965-0581, ext 2177, email: msbushman at sbcc.edu

SBCC Center for Sustainability "Cities As the Solution" Series:
Waste & Recycling for a Better World
March 25 & 26

Evening Talk, March 25, 7-9:30pm 2011
Keynote Speaker, Albe Zakes from TerraCycle, Inc.
SBCC Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium, West Campus
Admission $5
~
All Day Saturday Event, March 26, 9am - 4pm
Morning Plenary/Afternoon Break-Out Sessions with:
Albe Zakes of TerraCycle; Nikhil Arora from BTTR
Ventures; & Author, Janet Unruh
Admission, $30 general/$20 Students
SBCC Campus, East Campus

         Meet the young eco-entrepreneurs who can
change the way you think about trash.  And those
who can help you understand recycling, why we
must, and how we can.  Please join the Santa
Barbara City College Center for Sustainability as
it continues its "Cities As the Solution" series
with "Waste & Recycling for a Better World" on
March 25 & 26.

	The event starts on Friday evening with
keynote speaker Albe Zakes, VP Marketing from
TerraCycle, Inc., a company that makes useful
products from garbage and is now at the forefront
of the eco-capitalist movement.  Zakes will share
the entrepreneurial adventure he and TerraCycle
company founder Tom Szaky have experienced
together as they created a company that's good
for people, good for profits, and good for the
environment.

A follow-up event takes place on Saturday March
26 beginning with a morning plenary session,
followed by afternoon break-outs that includes 3
dynamic speakers in the world of Waste &
Recycling:

Albe Zakes, 25 year-old Global VP/Media from
TerraCycle, Inc., the world's leading 'upcycling'
company, which converts waste materials into
eco-friendly, affordable products available at
major retailers worldwide.  TerraCycle upcycles
traditionally non-recyclable waste, including
drink pouches, chip bags, tooth brushes and many
more. TerraCycles innovative "Brigades" programs
encourage community organizations to participate
in trash retrieval while earning cash.  Paying
out more than a million dollars last year alone,
the Brigade programs are partially funded by
corporate sponsors like KRAFT, Starbucks, and
Mars.

Nikhil Arora, 23, BTTR Ventures, a recent grad of
UC Berkeley, who with business partner Alex
Velez, gave up potential careers in investment
banking to start an urban farm growing gourmet
mushrooms from coffee waste, in a downtown
warehouse.  Their most recent product, the
Easy-to-Grow Mushroom Garden kit, is carried in
Whole Foods Markets nationwide. Since starting
BTTR Ventures they have diverted more than 10,000
pounds of coffee grounds per week from the waste
stream, being paid by coffee houses to do it.
Trash to cash, they are proud of creating &
providing jobs in their urban community.

Janet Unruh, Executive Director of the Institute
for Material Sustainability, MA Engineering and
Technology Management, and author of Recycle
Everything, Why We Must, How We Can. We've all
heard of peak oil, but what about peak hafnium,
or peak terbium? Hafnium, which is important in
computer chips, could be depleted by 2017, and
terbium, used in florescent light bulbs, by 2012.
Unruh believes that everything can be recycled
100% - provided we learn how to design things
properly and set up the right systems for
materials recovery.

In nature, there is no such thing as ìwaste,î but
as humans, we produce nearly 220 million tons per
year.  Come learn a better way, to not only
recycle, but upcycle, diverting billions of
pieces of garbage from our landfills and
incinerators, while generating income and
creating jobs.

The evening talk takes place on Friday, March 25,
7-9:30pm at the Fe Bland Forum on the SBCC West
Campus.  The Saturday event, March 26, 9am - 4pm
will be at the SBCC PS101 Building on the East
Campus, 721 Cliff Drive.

Sponsored by the SBCC Center for Sustainability

Event Info: Margie (805) 965-0581, ext 2177,
email msbushman at sbcc.edu;
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu

Co-Sponsors: SB Independent, Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network, LoaTree, Hopedance Media,
Nutiva, Teeccino, Island Seed & Feed, Sustainable
Vocations, Surfers Without Borders,Green2Gold &
Ultimate Bagels

More Info/Websites/YouTubes:

TerraCycle featured on Good Morning America:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKoBuVZ_AI&feature=related
TerraCycle segment Discovery Channel: s
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpTVF-3uFQ&feature=related
TerraCycle Plastics episode of Garbage Moguls on National Geographic:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meV-clgVnJ0&feature=player_embedded#at=16

BTTR Ventures on BBC World News:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rnmposUN4A

Janet Unruh:
Executive Director; Institute for Material Sustainability
Recycle the World: One Woman's Vision
  http://www.enzymepdx.com/2010/recycle-everything/
By Matthew Singer

RADIO INTERVIEW