Fri/Sat events at CEC and Ojai news

EWerb at aol.com EWerb at aol.com
Thu Apr 29 11:37:20 PDT 1999

this will be a good one...

April 30 Fri.  7:00 pm *earlier time* at CEC, $3 donation requested.
“Cities that Grow their Own Food - A Vision of the Future” a panel discussion
hosted by Oscar Carmona, CEC Garden Director; with Michael Ableman, Center
for Urban Agriculture Director; Steve Moore, biodynamic CSA farmer; Michelle
Moscone, Food Security Issues; Michael Feeney, SB Land Trust; a member of the
Interfaith Community, and a nutritionist. This panel will discuss how we can
work together to grow our food, adapt to eating seasonal foods, and growing
safe, local food. We can create a wealth of small-scale community food
growers and avoid environmental impacts of transporting food thousands of
miles, by simply changing the use of our lands and where we buy our food. We
will discuss the unique south facing topography of Santa Barbara and its
ideal climate for year-round food growing. Come join in the discussion.

May 1 Sat. All day Workshops with members of the panel based on Friday's
evening's (ag-related) passions, further discussing “Cities that Grow their
Own Food - A Vision of the Future.” For more info Contact CEC Gardens program
at 805-963-0583 x 114, South Coast Permaculture Guild 962-2571 or email
sbpcnet at silcom.com

i am also passing along... meeting minutes and upcoming activities for

OJAI VALLEY HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
'Community beautification, education and appreciation of plants'

Gathering April 6, 1999

PRESENTATION: Permaculture in Ojai On Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30pm, the Ojai
Horticulture Society sponsored Permaculture night and Potluck dinner at the
Ojai Women's' Club, 441 East Ojai.  Akiva Werbalowsky presented slides of his
permaculture site at California Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo
where he was "inspired by patterns in nature to effectively care for the
earth and enhance the lives of humans." He referred to his gardening style as
a "food forest" where plants grow together, nurture each other. His motto is
"Work Less, Eat More."   David White discussed the idea of permaculture as
having 3 ethics:  Care of the Earth, Care of the People, Share the surplus.
Both David and Akiva referred to Jon Jevins and his company, Bountiful
Gardens Seed Company as a source of information.   This was one of our most
well attended meetings ever.  Permaculture is a popular subject In Ojai.
There is an Ojai Permaculture Guild which occasionally offers design courses.
 You may find out more information about the Guild from Dave White at
646-9809 or artdetour at aol.com.     We had a delicious pot luck meal.

WILD FLOWER WALK in Kennedy Canyon, Ojai with botanist, Lena Fredell:
Saturday, April 17,  Enjoying a beautiful warm spring day, walking among the
wild flowers, tracking bear paw prints in the dried mud, and lazing by a
trickling stream...now that's a great way to spend a Saturday.  A group of
hardy hikers including, Lana Fredell, Margaret Lowery, Ernie Thompson, Sandy
Roland & Tyson Messori examined early wild flowers.

SCHEDULE OF FUTURE EVENTS:
TUESDAY, MAY 4, 1999, 7:00 PM: Carol Saltzman from the Master Gardeners
Program   will speak at the Ojai Valley Women's Club, 441 East Ojai Avenue.
She will outline Who the Master Gardeners are, What they do and provide
information about how to participate, and how to use their services.  Please
contact Sandy Messori 649-2476 or Rivendell7 at aol.com for more info.  Pot Luck
Dinner:  Bring your favorite food dish, your plate, cutlery, cup and napkin
and we'll enjoy the fruits of each other's harvest!

Tuesday, JUNE 1, 1999, 7:00 PM: Lorenz Schaller of the KUSA Seed Research
Foundation will give a slide presentation and discussion about his work to
preserve our seed heritage.
Pot Luck Dinner:  Bring your favorite food dish, your plate, cutlery, cup and
napkin and we'll enjoy the fruits of each other's harvest.

If you would like these notes sent to you via E-mail, Contact Sandy Messori
at:  Rivendell7 at aol.com