Long Beach Rivers Conference

Paul n Shelley pracko at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 2 10:30:32 PDT 1999

                    Conference targets rivers

                    Environment: Panels to consider impact of two
                    major waterways.

                    By Tracy Manzer
                    Staff Writer

                    LONG BEACH - People who have had their day at the
beach ruined by
                    trash, the value of their home plummet because it
sits next to the polluted
                    Los Angeles River or the blight of cracked pavement
at local school
                    playgrounds turn their stomachs, may want to attend
the Rivers Through
                    Long Beach conference.

                    The Saturday conference, which is free, will feature
a gathering of
                    science, political, business, environmental and
community leaders to
                    discuss Los Angeles and San Gabriel river issues and
how they affect
                    Long Beach.

                    The conference will convene at Goodwill Industries
Vocational Training
                    Center, 800 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach.
Registration begins
                    at 8:30 a.m. Between 9 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. four
panels will each discuss
                    specific river issues, then open the floor for
discussion.

                    Assemblyman Alan Lowenthal is scheduled to moderate
the Business
                    Growth Panel, which will discuss "Reconciliation of
Economic, Social
                    and Environmental Goals." Long Beach Councilman Dan
Baker, who
                    represents the 2nd District, will facilitate the
Neighborhood Development
                    Panel with emphasis on "Building Community
Identity."

                    Regional Water Quality Board member Jon Bishop will
serve on the
                    Community Safety Panel, which will highlight "Water
Quality Issues in
                    Long Beach."

                    An Education and Youth Panel will discuss "Kids,
Open Space and the
                    Environment," and will include a slide show by Long
Beach Councilman
                    Jerry Shultz. The education and youth category also
will cover the issue
                    of "Regreening Our Schools," led by Guillermo
Aguilar.

                    Seventh District Councilman Ray Grabinski will offer
the opening and
                    closing remarks.

                    At the conference's conclusion, attendees will be
offered a chance to tour
                    the Los Angeles River Bike Path and the Wrigley
Neighborhood, or
                    learn about new environmental/economic stewardship
software.

                    Lunch is also offered at $6 per person with a
no-host sandwich buffet.
                    Reservations are requested for those who would like
to take advantage
                    of the lunch hour.

                    The unique event is sponsored by the Friends of the
Los Angeles River,
                    Sierra Club, Surfrider Foundation and Eco-Link and
will include
                    community leaders.

                    For information or to make lunch reservations, call
Joan Greenwood at
                    (562) 599-0812.

                                | HOME | SPORTS | LIVE! | COASTING |
                         | PT LIBRARY | INFO CENTER | SUBSCRIBE |
FEEDBACK |

                   ©1999 Press-Telegram. The information you receive
online from PT
                   CONNECT is protected by the copyright laws of the
United States. Copyright
                   laws prohibit any copying, redistributing,
retransmitting or repurposing of any
                   copyright-protected material.