Two (or more) Visions

EWerb at aol.com EWerb at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 13:43:08 PDT 1999

http://www.gristmagazine.com/grist/citizen/citizen080399.html

GLOBAL CITIZEN  Two Mindsets, Two Visions of Sustainable Agriculture

A weekly rumination on sustainable living
by Donella H. Meadows  08.03.99

"I guess you must be in favor of pesticides," concluded a Monsanto public
relations guy, after I objected to his company's genetically engineered
potato.

"I guess it's okay with you if people starve," said a botanist I deeply
respect, with whom I have carried out a fervent argument about genetic
engineering.

Accusations like these astonish me. I'm an organic farmer; I'm not in favor
of pesticides. I've spent decades working to end hunger; it is not okay with
me that anyone starves. I believe that my two accusers and I are working
toward exactly the same goal -- feeding everyone without wrecking the
environment. We would all label that goal "sustainable agriculture." But we
must be making radically different assumptions about what that goal looks
like and how to get there from here.

The idea that if I oppose genetic engineering, I must favor pesticides,
arises from an assumption that those are the only two choices. If they were,
I would probably agree that it's better to fool with genomes than to spray
poisons over the countryside. But I see other choices. Plant many kinds of
crops and rotate them, instead of one or two crops year after year, which
make a perfect breeding ground for pests. Build up ecosystems above ground
and in the soil so natural enemies rise and fall with the pests, searching
and destroying with a specificity and safety and elegance that neither
chemicals nor engineering can match.

These are pest control methods based not on chemistry or genetics, but on
ecology. They work. I know. I use them. I know dozens of organic farmers who
use them. Small scale and large. Northeast, South, Midwest, West. Apples,
lettuce, potatoes, strawberries, broccoli, rice, soybeans, wheat, corn.

The claim that we need genetic engineering to feed the hungry must be based
on two assumptions: first that more food will actually go to hungry people,
second that genetic engineering is the only way to raise more food. I assume,
to the contrary, that more food will not help those who can't afford to buy
or grow it, especially if it comes from expensive, patented, designer seed.

Furthermore, more food is not needed. We already grow enough to nourish
everyone. If just one-third of the grain fed to animals went to humans
instead, we would not have 24,000 deaths per day due to hunger. Or if 40
percent post-harvest loss rates in poor countries were reduced. Or if we
shared the embarrassing crop surpluses of North America and Europe. Or if we
created an economy where everyone had money to buy food or land to grow it --
which would solve a lot of other problems too.

Where, when, or if more food is needed, there are ways to produce it that
don't require biotech or chemicals. Folks with an industrial ag mindset
assume that organic agriculture would cut yields. Not only is there no
evidence for that assumption, there are numerous studies to the contrary. One
of the latest appeared in Nature last year; its summary opens like this: "In
comparison with conventional, high-intensity agricultural methods, 'organic'
alternatives can improve soil fertility and have fewer detrimental effects on
the environment. These alternatives can also produce equivalent crop yields
to conventional methods."

Imagine what yields could be if even one-tenth as much research effort were
put into organic farming as has been put into chemicals or genetics.

When I show this evidence to proponents of high-tech farming, when I offer to
take them to see organic farms, when I point out that hunger could be ended
by sharing food or technologies that raise output without poisoning the earth
or invading the genome, I don't think my argument even reaches their auditory
nerves, much less their brains. That kind of extreme failure even to hear an
argument, much less process it, alerts me that this is not a rational
discussion. It is a worldview difference, a paradigm gap, a disagreement
about morals and values and identities and fundamental assumptions about the
way the world works.

I assume the world works by the laws of ecology and economics and human
nature. Ecology says that monocultures breed pests; that chemicals upset soil
ecosystems and kill off natural predators; that crops with pesticide in every
cell will induce pest resistance; that animals and plants should be grown in
close proximity so manure can go back to the soil; and that we haven't the
slightest idea what the ecological or evolutionary consequences of genetic
engineering will be.

Economics says you can never have a sustainable market if you produce
something consumers fear and you hide critical information about how it was
produced and what it contains. Because industrial agriculture has violated
that law and lost the trust of consumers, the market for organic produce is
growing in American and Europe by 20 to 30 percent per year, even with a
price premium; it now totals over $9 billion.

Human nature says the more actual producers can own and shape and control
land and inputs and seeds and knowledge, the more inventive, adaptive, and
equitable agriculture will be.

Acceptance of those laws shapes my vision of sustainable agriculture. I
picture healthy ecosystems and healthy human beings working together in
thriving, close-knit communities. Farms are small, owner-operated, with what
Wes Jackson calls a "high eyes-to-acres ratio," which means they are well
managed and high-yielding. Farmers make more use of knowledge and people than
of chemicals and seeds they can't breed for themselves. Animals are raised on
all farms; there are good reasons why ecosystems don't concentrate all the
plants in one place and all the animals in another.

Food is grown everywhere, in cities, in suburbs. The distance from producer
to consumer is short, there are fewer supermarkets, more farmers markets,
less packaging, more freshness. The principle of one of my favorite organic
farmers permeates the system: "I'm not growing food, I'm growing health."

To those who do not believe such a vision is possible, I can only say: It
exists, it's alive and well and growing, it's even more profitable than the
industrial vision, the food tastes better, the work is more pleasurable. I
live in this vision. I have friends all over the world who live in it. Come
see.

Donella H. Meadows is director of the Sustainability Institute and an adjunct
professor of environmental studies at Dartmouth College.