South Coast Permaculture Monthly Meeting Tues. Oct 19 with Simplicity Circle PLUS October Events NOTE GENETIC ENGINEERING MEETINGS

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Oct 1 21:59:36 PDT 1999

hi everyone
        Here is a list of Events happening in October

Tuesday Oct 5 Richard Handley will discuss his 20-year love affair with Los
Padres Natural Forest with
slides of hikes accessible from Highway 33 above Ojai. Santa Barbara Botanic
Garden Library at 7:00pm

Saturday Oct. 9 The 17 annual South Coast Sustainable Landscape Fair will be
held at 8:30AM-3:00PM at Santa Barbara City College in the Physical Science
Building this year's theme is "Mysteries of Sustainable Landscaping Revealed"
Displays will feature local business and community organization plus
presentations during the day.. And yes South Coast Permaculture Guild will
have
a display call Margie at 962-2571 if you want to volunteer some time.

Here is an update on an exciting bio regional community gathering. Come see
one of the premier retreat/meditation sites on the West Coast. Meet your
community, sharing and learning on the path to sustainability --
Ojai Foundation presents

An evening with Permaculture Design
at Ojai Foundation, Ojai CA - Fri., Oct. 8, 1999
6:30 potluck 7:30 - 9:30 pm program and kiva social later
A Special Workshop Preview:
Come see a slide show and hear an overview of permaculture principles. We
invite those curious for a closer look, as well as the more experienced, to
join in discussing this comprehensive approach to quality of life. Admission
is $10 for the evening presentation, included with workshop registration. No
one will be turned away for lack of money. Please call 805-646-8343 to allow
space planning.
An introduction to Permaculture Design
October 8-10, 1999 at Ojai Foundation, Ojai CA
What is Permaculture?
Permaculture is an integrated design approach based on natural patterns and
energy flows. Permaculture aims to sustainably provide for our needs. It's
ethics are: Caring for the earth, its inhabitants, and sharing surplus.
Saturday, we will explore ways to apply permaculture design to improve our
soil fertility, water, energy, and food systems. Sunday activities involve a
walkabout examinations of these designs on the Ojai Foundation's wonderfully
diverse grounds and settings. The weekend experience will conclude with
participants developing community-based networking strategies for continuing
to help each other apply this practice in our evolving lifestyles.
The workshop runs Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Co-sponsored by South
Coast Permaculture Guild.
Cost: $95 - program only / $145 - offsite lodging and meals / $245 -
includes meals and on-site lodging
- worktrade discounts are available, cash is cheap vs. inspired work
Instructors: David White, Ph.D., Akiva & Eric Werbalowsky, Ojai Foundation
Staff, and local guild members
For more info and to register please contact the Ojai Foundation,
805-646-8343 or email <ewerb at aol.com>

Tuesday Oct 12 7:30 pm Lecture and book signing Amory Lovins cofounder of
Rocky
Mountain Institute
author of Creating the Next Industrial Revolution "Natural Capitalism"
presented  by Interdisciplinary Humanities
Free  6020 Humanities and Social Sciences Building UCSB Santa Barbara

Sustainable Living with Permaculture Design
with Permaculture Teachers Larry and Kathryn Santoyo of Earthflow Dynamics
Lecture/Slideshow Friday Oct 15 7:30 PM $3
Saturday and Sunday Oct. 16&17 Workshop $100
CEC Gildea Resource Center 930 Miramonte Dr Santa Barbara CA

Workshop outline: "Sustainable Living with Permaculture"
Using a simple, step by step process, we will learn how to achieve
sustainability in our homes, gardens and communities. Using an innovative
process of design and "check list", we will learn to solve all our needs
using natural, low tech and community building strategies.
We will first learn to "read the patterns of the landscape" as we tap our
intuitive knowledge and discover ancient techniques that have long nurtured
the Earth.
1) Learning the "Indicators of Sustainability"
2) Assessing Needs and Inventorying Resources
3) Using Natural Patterns and Principles in our Home and Gardens
4) Ancient Techniques of Earth Stewardship
5) Strategies for Creating Sustainable "Micro-communities"

To register for workshop call SCPG 805-962-2571 or email sbpcnet at silcom.com
Santa Barbara Currency accepted

South Coast Permaculture Monthly Meeting, Tuesday,Oct 19
Cosponsored by the Simplicity Circle of Santa Barbara
6:30 Plant & Seed exchange , come share pizza and salad
7:00 Come participate in a Discussion of Voluntary Simplicity with organizers
of SB Simplicity Circle
Contacts Bruce Anderson 687-4775 gconserve at aol.com and Larry Saltzman
805-563-2089 lbsaltzman at aol.com of the Simplicity Circle Santa Barbara and
SCPG

GMO LECTURE

GENETICALLY-ENGINEERED FOODS
AND THE IMPACT OF EMERGING
BIO-TECHNOLOGY...

will be discussed in a free lecture co-sponsored by the IV Co-op and EDGE (the
Ending Destructive Genetic Engineering Campaign of Central and Southern
California).

Dr. Mae-wan Ho, geneticist
Luke Anderson, author
speaking on--
Genetic Engineering:  Discussing the
Impacts of Biotechnology on Our Lives

Town Hall Meeting
Tuesday 7pm October 26, Faulkner Gallery
Main Library, 40 E. Anapamu St., SB

Lecture
Wednesday 7pm October 27 Corwin Pavilion
University of California Santa Barbara

Dr. Mae-wan Ho, geneticist, author, and professor from England, and
speaker/author Luke Anderson will be coming to Santa Barbara October 25-27,
1999 to speak on the subject of genetic engineering. Mae-wan Ho is a
founding member of the Institute of Science in Society, a world-wide
organization of scientists who advocate for the research and practice of
science in the interest of the public. Dr. Ho will be speaking on the risks
posed to human health from the imprecise nature of the genetic engineering
of our food supply.
Luke Anderson hails us from southwest England. He has participated in a
number of debates and lectures in the UK on the subject and has been pivotal
in the incredible and widespread organizing that has occurred there. His
recent book, "Genetic Engineering, Food and Our Environment" outlines the
critical controversies raised by introducing this technology into our food
supply.
For copies of Luke's book and to get involved with local organizing, call
Heather Ryan of the EDGE Campaign at 805/963-8601.