: Center for Regenerative Studies CAL State Pomona Roadtrip Sunday Feb 13

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Feb 1 23:49:13 PST 2000

hi
        just heads up on our roadtrip to Cal State Pomona will be leaving 7:30
am Sunday Feb13 from SB , just got approval today, Bill Roley permaculture
teacher( did videos on site for TV and more) and Cal poly Pomona  students on
site  will lead tour, more info tomorrow,let me know if you interested in
going
as we can arrange Carpool from SB and Potluck lunch, arriving at site at
10:30am for tour.
                                        Wes  Roe South Coast Permaculture
Guild

> Subject: Center for Regenerative Studies CAl State Pomona
>

> http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~crs/
>

> California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
>
> The John T. Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies (The Lyle Center) is an
> interdisciplinary university-based setting for education, demonstration and
> research in regenerative and sustainable systems. Students from all
> disciplines on campus can participate in courses and a community of up to 20
> residents lives on the site working with regenerative systems as part of
> their daily lives.
>
> The comprehensive design of the 16-acre site provides a living laboratory
for
> faculty, students and visitors to study passive solar designed buildings,
> renewable energy capture, water recycling, nutrient cycling, food growing
> systems, aquaculture, native habitat and human communities. All of these
have
> implications for human society.
>
> Our web page is currently undergoing a comprehensive restructuring -
we'll be
> bringing you more current information on our activities soon.
>
> If you would like more information or to make a reservation for a visitor
> tour, please call us at 909-869-5155 or email us at
> <mailto:crs at csupomona.edu>crs at csupomona.edu.

Here's something from Landscape Architecture Magazine, sometime in 1998
"Future history books will probably name the Center for Regenerative
Studies at California State Polytechnic University in Pomona, CAl, as
John Lyle's most significant contribution to landscape architecture. The
Center-for which Lyle served as principal visionary, team leader and
conceptual designer, is a self-contained laboratory for sustainable or
"regenerative" technologies built on an abused edge of the university
and adjacent to a capped landfill that rises on the horizon like a great
brown bear. The Center was conceived to operate on renewable resources:
recycling waste into energy using technologies such as photovoltaics,
aquaculture, permaculture, and "living machine" wastewater treatment.
Building and landscape design were also key components of the Center,
taking advantage of passive solar heating and minimizing impact on the
landscape by capturing runoff onsite. But Lyle always envisioned the
facility to be much more than an assemblage of discrete experiments. Its
entire form would represent the integration found in natural systems.
The idea extended down to pedagogy and social environment: Students
would live and study on site, even working in the gardens to grow their
own food."