South Coast Permaculture Guild Events Listing for Feb 2000 plus late listing of Roadtrip

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Feb 10 06:55:01 PST 2000

South Coast Permaculture Guild Contacts and other Organizations of Interest

Santa Barbara Branch  Margie Bushman sbpcnet at silcom.com 805-962-2571
Ojai Permaculture Guild Dave White        ArtDetour @aol.com   805-646-9809
Central Coast Permaculture Guild Rob Kimmel  zigge at aol.com  805-438-5745
                                    Crystal Rae   crystal at slonet.org
805-466-5746
San Diego Permaculture Guild Bruce Bebe        ikaia at hotmail.com
Cal Poly Student Farm in SLO Alexis Pouillon   sustclub at calpoly.edu
                                Hunter Francis    wfrancis at calpoly.edu
Long Beach Organics  Paul Racko         pracko at earthlink.net  562-438-9000
Southern East Sierra  Tom Drummond
760-377-5011
Pc Institute of Southern Cal. Bill Roley                DrRoley at aol.com
949-494-5843
Santoyo&Associates, Larry and Kathryn Santoyo   dotcalm at fix.net
800-469-5857
 Permaculture Activist Website
http://www.metalab.unc.edu/pc-activist

Hi everyone

Saturday Feb 12 8:30 AM Esperanza School Tree Planting, Tijuana, Mexico
Contact is Bill Roley Permaculture Teacher and Designer 949-494-5843
DrRoley at aol.com

The Esperenza School tree planting will be in Tijuana, Mexico from 9:30 am to
4:00 and we will be planting 100 fruit trees. You can meet at the Chula Vista
H Street Trolley station off the 5 freeway in Chula Vista at 8:30
AM on Saturday morning Feb 12. and many of the volunteers will
consolidate cars and go over together. You may also met me at my house in
Laguna Beach and we can caravan down together. I will try and send you a map
or print out directions with the exact location of the meeting place and
school.
If enough people come down we can do a tour of the Aldeas Infantil orphanage
a 6 acre edible landscaped village agroforestry system that is bioswaled and
has gardens and an edible kids park. The Ecoparque wastewater treatment plant
that we set up is just down the street if we have time. We will have to talk
about limitations of the day and how hard we want to push everyone.

Sunday Feb. 13 at 7:30 AM Roadtrip from Santa Barbara to John Lyle
Regenerative
Center Cal State Pomona
Arriving at 10:30 AM. Please bring food for sharing at Potluck Lunch
Contact Wesley Roe 805-964-1555 or lakinroe at silcom.com , to RSVP or for more
information, or if needing directions to meet us at site.

The road trip on Sunday Feb 13 to the Center for Regenerative Studies at Cal
State Pomona, will meet in downtown Santa Barbara, at 7:30 am to carpool.
Please meet at the parking lot behind the Pueblo Office Building at 128 E.
Carrillo St, between Anacapa and Sant Barbara streets. Please bring lunch and
something to share for potluck. We will try to carpool, but please come
prepared with a full tank of gas, so we can leave promptly from the carpool
meeting place. Other member outside SB can meeet us at site
Permaculture teacher, Dr. Bill Roley (did videos on site for Public Television
and more) and Cal Poly Pomona students living on site will lead the tour. We
will be arriving at site and beginning the tour at 10:30am
Description of Center for Regenerative Studies below:
http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~crs/

Tues. Feb 22 at 7:00 PM at Community Environmental Council  930 Miramonte
Dr.Santa Barbara
Poetry and Permaculture with Ed Mendoza and Margo Tamez
of De Las Manos Farms in Maricopa, New Mexico
Evening Slideshow/Lecture and Poetry Reading suggested Donation $3
Light Refreshments and Food and Conversion at 6:30 PM
SCPG 962-2571 or sbpcnet at silcom.com

Cal Poly graduate and Bioneer presenter Ed Mendoza and his partner poet
/natural builder Margo Tamez, co-stewards of De Las Manos, a 3-acre drylands
permaculture farm (7th-generation farming) south of Maricopa Arizona.
Starting with a slideshow presentation of soil restoration practices,
greywater systems and other permaculture methods from Ed Mendoza,
interspersed throughout the presentation will be Margo's poetry, "a voice
that rises from the soil which she holds in her hands as a clenched fist."
(Terry Tempest Williams)
Ed Mendoza practices his extensive knowledge of dryland permaculture
techniques at the O'odham O'oidak project at the Gila River Indian Community
in Sacaton, AZ, where he is farm manager. He authored essays for the tribal
newspaper and is working on a book on the rape and destruction of soil in the
west. His soil and restoration practices are described as "ingeniously
innovative" (Hugh Lovell, biodynamics guru)
Margo Tamez stewards the day to day life on the family farm with her
chidren a
nd apprentices. She currently teaches workshops on earthen walls and earth
plasters.Her award winning poetry has appeared in American Poetry Review,
Cimarron Review, Hawaiian Pacific Review, The Americas Review, Peace Review
and anthologies of Native peoples.
"...her eyes are directed toward environmental justice and the healing that
comes from telling the truth. I am so grateful I have found Margo." (Terry
Tempest Willaims)

Also Permaculture and Poetry with Margo Tamez and Ed Mendoza in SLO
Evening SlideShow/Lecture and Poetry
Friday Feb 25, 7:30 PM , Suggested Donation $3
SLO County Library (Oso and Palm St)
Central Coast Permaculture Guild and Hopedance Magazine
For info contact HopeDance Magazine: 544 9663 or email to
hopedance at aol.com or contact Rob Kimmell of the Central Coast Permaculture
Guild at 805-438-5745.

Saturday Feb 26 South Coast Permaculture Guild Gathering and Hike in Ojai
Hike begins at 9:30 Am at Bob Sorels house in the Matilija Canyon bring
water ,
food and hiking clothes
Pot Luck Supper and Gathering at 6:00 PM 3342 Matilija Canyon Road
R.S.V.P. Bob Sorel 805-640-8897 or BobSorel at aol.com
The directions: From 101 take the Ojai exit (rte33), continue on 33 for
several miles.
At the Von's plaza take the left and continue on 33 (Maricopa highway).
Proceed on 33 for about 4.5 mi. past sign for Matilija Hot Springs. A large
bank of mailboxes on the left are at the beginning of the road. There is no
road sign, but you can't miss it, there are several 'Road Closed" signs and
it heads uphill immediately. Take that left and follow it for about 4.25-4.50
miles. We're at 3242 Matilija Cyn. Rd.
I'm looking forward to seeing you.......Bob

Tuesday, March 7, 1999, 6:30 PM: Annual Seed and Plant Exchange and BOOK
AUCTION: Save your seeds, cuttings, plants and bring them to the March
meeting. **Bring envelopes or empty film canisters to put your treasures
into and something to mark the contents. If you have books or magazines
that you no longer need, donate them to the auction to help support the
Ojai Valley Horticultural Society. We will have a Pot luck Dinner! Call Eva
Milne for potluck
suggestions: 646-8864. Or Sandy Messori for information 649-2476 or
rivendell7 at aol.com

Tuesday March 28 7:30PM  at CEC 930 Miramonte Dr  Santa Barbara
Natural Building and Social Justice with Robert Bolman
Slideshow and Lecture Suggested Donation $3
Check Robert website http://www.efn.org/~robtb/
Contact SCPG 962-2571 or sbpcnet at silcom.com
Also in SLO and Ojai

Fri/Sat/Sun April 14-16Gardening and Permaculture Workshop Camp Stevens Cost
$85
Dr. Bill Roley of the Permaculture Institute of Southern
California in Laguna Beach will lead a weekend workshop teaching the
fundamentals of permaculture design and regenerative strategies of
gardening for a sustainable future. He will help form a plan for the Camp
Stevens’ garden and its surrounding ecosystem by taking a watershed
perspective using geography, geology, climate, flora and fauna as the
design elements, and also teach you how to transform your own garden.
        Bill will explain the basic principles of permaculture (permanent
agriculture) around the five elements of Community Design: Food,
Waste, Water, Energy, and Shelter. By weaving these five elements
together in a conscious design we combine science, lifestyle and ethics
into the perpetual cycles of life, death and rebirth. Permaculture design
is a system of assembling all the important components of our habitat in
a pattern which will benefit not only humans, but all the animals and
plants in the area. It is using the insights of our grandparents rather than
robbing the resources of our children by understanding that we are on
the cutting edge of a 10,000 year old technology.
Contact for info Dr Bill Roley at Pc Institute of Sothern California
DrRoley at aol.com       949-494-5843

Future Events

MiD June 2000 Permaculture Design Course Ojai in the Planning with
Permaculture
Teacher Larry Santoyo
Contacts Dave White ArtDetour at aol.com and Eric Werbalowsky ewerb at aol.com and
others

Fri/Sat/Sun June16,17,18 First South Coast Permaculture Guild Southern
California Permaculture Gathering
This Gathering will take place during The Live Oak Music Festival at Lake
Cachuma Santa Barbara California
To find out details etc and ongoing announcements how to register for camping
and passes for the Festival contact
Wes Roe lakinroe at silcom.com or Margie Bushman sbpcnet at silcom.com SCPG Santa
Barbara

Websites of Interest from our members
A great website for explaining the what is of Permaculture is
http://www.permaearth.org
Hosted by Larry and Kathryn Santoyo are Permaculture Teachers /
Designers/Consultants at Santoyo&Assoc.

A great green building and more website hosted by Roy Prince
http://www.SustainableABC.Com/

A site with Permaculture stuff hosted by Susan Newcomer
http://www.crescentmeadow.com/perma/index.html

Listserves
To get Up to Date Permaculture Ongoing Announcements for courses , events and
posting of articles of interest try subscribing to our local Permaculture
Listserves ccpg serves San Lois Obispo ,scpg serves Santa Barbara down and
including Los Angelos, and sdpg serves San Diego area. Below are the
instructions how to sign up
thanks to John Howe for setting them up
this works the same for each separate list:
central coast list(ccpg at arashi.com), south coast(scpg), and the san diego
list (sdpg at arashi.com)

TO SUBSCRIBE to this mailing list,
send mail to: <Majordomo at arashi.com>
with the following command in the body of email message:
subscribe sdpg
There will be a return message requesting your confirmation/authorization
that you want to subscribe, so respond to it as requested.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE
use the word unsubscribe instead of subscribe as above
Hope this helps took me a few times to get it right

Please send listings and events for next email news by Feb25 to
lakinroe at silcom.com