FROM DRAIN TO DREAM III WATERSHED CONFERENCE

Paul n Shelley pracko at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 19:36:55 PST 2000

FROM DRAIN TO DREAM III WATERSHED CONFERENCE

WATER QUALITY ISSUES AND THE CLEAN WATER ACT EXPLORED
How Water Quality Standards are Determined, Enforced, and Changed
Water Quality Issues now Under Debate

Date         Saturday, April 15, 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Cost:      $12 includes lunch, parking and materials.  Scholarships will
be
available.
Location:  Department of Water and Power Auditorium, 111 North Hope.
Downtown Los Angeles

The Los Angeles & San Gabriel Rivers Watershed Council's spring
conference
will explore the Clean Water Act and the quality of the waters in our
watershed.  Just as last year's conference led to the publication of a
book
on Storm Water, this conference will lead to the publication of a book
on
water quality.  It will also lead to recommendations as to what
standards you
think appropriate for our local water bodies.  Your input is sought.

Draft copies of this new book will be mailed to all who reserve space
ahead
of time.  It is important to learn the content in advance because we
will be
soliciting conference participants' advice and guidance on the
appropriate
water quality standards for our local water bodies.  Establishing these
standards is, in the final analysis, a political process.  Our
recommendations will be presented to the Regional Water Quality Control
Board
together as part of the published book.  Come and Let your Voice be
Heard!

AGENDA:  We have invited Alexis Straus, Chief of Water for US EPA Region
IX,
to be our keynoter, to present an overview of water quality issues,
past,
present, and future.  Dr. Heather Trim, author of our new book, will
present
an overview.  She will be followed by a response panel composed of the
Regulator (The Regional Water Board), the Regulated (L A City Sanitation
District), the Environmental Community, and the Watershed Council.
    After lunch we will assemble in small workshop groups with a
facilitator
to debate the various beneficial use designations, and decide on our
recommendations.  The small groups will then come together again, to
report
on their deliberations, and hopefully agree on a consensus
recommendation to
include in the book and for presentation to the Regional Board.

Please sign me up.  I want to attend this year's Drain to Dream:
Beneficial
Uses Conference.  Enclosed is $12 to cover costs of coffee, lunch,
parking,
and materials.  Reservations must be received by April 5 for a draft
copy of
our book to be mailed to you for review before the conference. Mail to
LASG
Watershed Council, 111 No Hope St, #627, Los Angeles 90012
Or call 213-367-4111 for more information.

Name

Address

City/zip