Gardening and Permaculture Workshop - April 14-16

Fred Chambers regenerative at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 12 22:58:01 PST 2000

Gardening and Permaculture Workshop - April 14-16
Dr. Bill Roley of the Permaculture Institute of Southern California in Laguna
Beach will lead a weekend workshop teaching the fundamentals of permaculture
design and regenerative strategies of gardening for a sustainable future.
Location is Camp Stevens near Escondido CA
. The Camp has a full service conference facility and is in an alpine mountain
ecology with a desert community within 15 minutes, a chapparal environment at
the bottom of the mountain 15 minutes away and the farming of Escondido 20
minutes away and the coastal ecozne within a 1/2 hour. JAMES HUBBELL can give
us a house tour too. He is wonderful

Workshop Includes

        Bill will help form a plan for the Camp Stevens’ garden and its
surrounding ecosystem by taking a watershed perspective using geography,
geology, climate, flora and fauna as the design elements, and also teach you
how to transform your own garden.Our theme will be to integrate our lifestyles
and programs into the surrounding environment in more productive and
sustainable ways.
        We will all be inventing and refining patterns for the future
stewardship of Camp Stevens and beyond.Bill will explain the basic principles
of permaculture (permanent agriculture) around the five elements of Community
Design: Food, Waste, Water, Energy, and Shelter. By weaving these five
elements
together in a conscious design we combine science, lifestyle and ethics into
the perpetual cycles of life, death and rebirth. Permaculture design is a
system of assembling all the important components of our habitat in a pattern
which will benefit not only humans, but all the animals and plants in the
area.
It is using the insights of our grandparents rather than robbing the resources
of our children by understanding that we are on the cutting edge of a 10,000
year old technology.

        Following Bill’s presentations, we will use Camp Stevens’ garden as a
model for learning permaculture design, and then spend some time actually
working to begin to transform the garden toward greater stability and
productivity. You will gain the knowledge and experience to begin to similarly
transform your own garden at home as well as discover some new perspective on
the other systems that support your household and communities. The cost is
$85.00 per person
Contact
 Pc Institute of Southern Cal
Dr Bill Roley