Organic Consumers Association & Networking

EWerb at aol.com EWerb at aol.com
Mon May 22 12:05:48 PDT 2000

The Organic Consumers Association - the OCA is a national grassroots
consumers campaign which grew out of the massive organic consumer response to
the USDA's first round of Organic Standards (over 270,000 comments were
submitted on the first round) in 1998. Many of us were part of the SOS/Save
Organic Standards Campaign.

We need your help in developing a network of consumers, coops/stores,
farmers, and others tobuild a national organic movement to educate and
mobilize consumers about the dangers of genetic engineering and food
irradiation, and to submit comments to the USDA on the National Organic
Standards.

Join the Organic Consumers Association in your local area.
If you want to become a member or a volunteer--or make a donation--call
(218)726-1443

We have free OCA materials we can send you.
Food agenda 2000 flyers/posters,  petitions, ge fact sheet and more, see
below!

SUBSCRIBE:
Interested in receiving Organic View, our free email newsletter, and
occasional action alerts that deal with national organics issues and updates,
including information on  Genetically Engineered food issues, USDA's Second
Round of Organic Standards, labeling of irradiated food and more?

Please subscribe to our free electronic newsletter, Organic View, via our
website or send an email to: info at organicconsumers.org with the message:
subscribe Organic View is devoted to organic food issues and the work of the
OCA.

Organic View currently goes to over 25,000 coops, health food stores,
nutrition centers, activists, food buying clubs, CSA's, farmers markets,
organic farmers, organic consumers, health care professionals, organic
businesses and distributors, and organizations.  We also maintain an
international list.

Our Food Agenda 2000 campaign calls for:
1) Global Moratorium on Genetically Engineered Foods and Crops until
adequate safety testing has been done. (We were the first organization in '98
to call for a global moratorium);
2) Stop Factory Farming and Phase-Out Industrial Agriculture;
3) Convert US Agriculture to at least 30% Organic by 2010.

We have free packets available:
1) Food Agenda 2000 packets for individuals contain: 2 anti-GE petitions, a
GE fact sheet (you can make more copies), leaflets, and a  Consumer Warning
Leaflet targetting the top 15 food manufacturers to  stop using GE
ingredients.
2) Store display packets contain 2 GE petitions,  GE fact sheets, Consumer
Warning leaflet, Food Agenda 2000 leaflets, a counter top display holder, and
1 poster. Please let me know how many display packets you would like me to
send to you for your coop/store/buying club/organizations/CSA/farmers market
or event. For buying clubs and CSA's, please let me know how many members you
have so I can include enough leaflets to send you.

What else can you do to support our Food Agenda 2000 campaign?

***You can help recruit new subscribers to our newsletters by sending this
entire message out to everyone on your email lists.

Volunteer:
- We need individuals to help identify coops/health stores in your area that
do not have our Food Agenda 2000 flyers and petitions. Send us a contact name
(manager), store name, address, telephone/fax numbers, and email/website URL
and we will send them a free pkt.
- If you want to volunteer, please send me your complete address, phone and
fax so I can add you to our data base and connect you with other activists in
 your area.

Coordinators:
- We need regional and state coordinators that can help distribute our Food
Agenda 2000 petition and our flyers to stores, organizations and groups that
are not hooked up to email  and that are not in our data base. You can help
us develop local OCA Chapters, table at events, and help build a local data
base of activists and those interested in the issues (for email, fax, and
telephone "trees").  Make sure you visit our websites on a regular basis for
new articles and information.

Donations:
- We need donations to help pay for flyers and posters. Donations can be sent
to: OCA, 6114 Highway 61, Little Marais, MN 55614
- Help organize a fundraising potluck and/or video showing (we have a free
video lending library).

Action:
- We need people to contact their elected Congressional senators and
representatives, the United States Department of Agriculture, the President
and Vice-President  about the importance of strong organic standards.
president at whitehouse.gov(President Bill Clinton)
vice.president at whitehouse.gov (VP Al Gore)
Daniel.Glickman at usda.gov(Dan Glickman, Secretary of the US Department of
Agriculture)
Main website for US Representatives: http://www.house.gov/
Main website for US Senate: http://www.senate.gov/
- Write letters to the editor on organic issues.

Please pass this message on to your email lists. We are trying to build an
email network that can quickly submit comments to the USDA /FDA and elected
officials about organic standards and organic issues.

Thanks for your support!

Debbie Dunbar Ortman
National Field Organizer
Organic Consumers Association
3547 Haines Rd.
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 726-1443
(218) 726-1446 Fax
debbie at organicconsumers.org
http://www.purefood.org

The OCA  has speakers (Ronnie Cummins, Debbie Ortman, and  Simon Harris)
available but we do need transportation/lodging expenses paid for and an
honorarium would be helpful. We are also available for media interviews.

OCA is affiliated with the BioDemocracy Campaign.