D2KLA - LA Demo Convention

Paul n Shelley pracko at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 11 11:17:16 PDT 2000

Subject:
         [D2k] General Info
    Date:
         Sun, 11 Jun 2000 10:12:09 -0700
   From:
         Lisa Fithian <fithianl at igc.org>
     To:
         "d2k at d2kla.org" <d2k at d2kla.org>

D2K NETWORK is composed of groups and individuals working to coordinate
and support events and nonviolent protests during the Democratic
National Convention in Los Angeles, August 14-17. The D2K Network is
also coordinating with the R2K Network in Philadelphia to insure that
both parties hear loud and clear that we demand a total change in
priorities that support the people and planet before profits!   Our goal
is to help connect groups with common interests, urge them to take
action on their own behalf while providing support from the network such
as publicity, monitors or legal assistance etc. as capacity allows.   In
an effort to help focus activities we have developed four broad themes,
one for each day of the convention and are planning two mass events, the
Human Needs March on Monday the day the convention opens and a possible
mass candle/torch light vigil/convergence to close it during Gore's
acceptance speech.

HERE ARE ALL THE WAYS TO CONNECT TO D2K
Planning: d2k at d2kla.org          Subscribe:

Announcements: d2kannounce at d2kla.org

Discussion: d2kdiscuss at d2kla.org

WEB PAGE:       www.d2kla.org

EMAIL:          d2kinfo at d2kla.org

CALL:           323-660-3249

FAX:            323-292-7405

MAIL:           D2KLA
                P.O. Box 26374
                Los Angeles, CA  90026

SEND MONEY!     Tax-deductable contributions can be made to D2KLA with
SEE in the memo.  SEE is our fiscal sponsor.

WORK GROUP EMAIL CONTACTS:

Arts in Action workgroup:          d2karts at d2kla.org
Aug. 14th Mass March work group:   d2kmarch at d2kla.org
Fundraising work group             d2kfundraising at d2kla.org
Logistics workgroup:               d2klogistics at d2kla.org
Media Work Group:                  d2kmedia at d2kla.org
Medical Work Group:                d2kmedical at d2kla.org
Messaging Work Group:              d2kmessaging at d2kla.org
Outreach work group:               d2koutreach at d2kla.org
Scenario work group:               d2kscenario at d2kla.org
Direct Action Network:             DAN at d2kla.org

ENDORSE THE CALL TO ACTION!    See call on our webpage!

WEEK OF ACTION

The arrival of the Democratic Convention to Los Angeles creates an
opportunity for people working on progressive social change to speak in
their own voice and take action on their own behalf on the issues of
greatest concern to them.   From that perspective D2K offers this
framework of broad themes for each of the days for protest at the DNC.
Our goal is simply to help amplify in the strongest possible way major
areas of concern and to group activities with similar themes to magnify
their impact.  No theme is seen as more or less important than any
other.   By taking action in our own behalf and acting in solidarity
with others we can insure that all of our issues are highlighted and
given the optimum voice.

Our themes for activities at the DNC for the week of August 14 - 17 is
as follows:

Mon. Aug. 14:
Human Need Not Corporate Greed, March for Our Lives

Tues. Aug.  15:
An Injury to One is An Injury to All, Racial, Gender, Les/Bi/Gay/Trans
(LBGT), Economic  and Environmental Justice

Wed. Aug. 16:
Stop Police Brutality, the Prison Industrial Complex, The Death Penalty
and the
Criminalization of Our Communities-From Youth to Seniors, We Demand a
Future!

Thurs. Aug. 17:
Global Economic Justice, Militarism, Immigrant and Workers Rights

Our hope is that in addition to the opening mass march and closing mass
candle light vigil/convergence that are being organized by D2K, that
there is at least one other permitted action or educational activity
each day as well as a non-violent civil disobedience coordinated through
the Direct Action Networks Action Spokes Council.  There are many other
activities and events that would make good organizing opportunities.
Please let us know what your group is planning so we can put it on the
calendar of events.

CALENDAR AND CONTACTS SO FAR
.D2K is not responsible for and does not
necessarily endorse all the activities that follow.

July 13-17      LA - Democracy Action Camp, Sponsored by The Ruckus
Society, camp out  and participate in all kinds of action trainings.
Call 510-848-9565 or www.ruckus.org

Aug. 5 - 13     Direct Action Convergence, action trainings, affinity
group formation, action spokes council, puppet making, welcome center.
Contact Rise  Up/DAN-LA at P.O. Box 26374, Los Angeles, CA 90026 or
call 323-993-7212 or  email DAN at d2kla.org

Aug. 11-17      North American Anarchist Conference,  speakers,
workshops, networking, plays.  Contact:  The August Collective, P.O. Box
6188, Fullerton, CA  92834 or email to augustcollective_la at disinfo.net
or  www.geocities.com/naacweb

Aug. 12         GE Food Teach-in and Parade call Action Resource Center
310-392-7656

Aug. 11-17      People's Convention. Speakers, workshops,
hospitalitycenter.   Contact: www.peoplesconvention.com

Aug. 13         March and Rally for Mumia Abu-Jamal!  1 p.m. - 7 p.m. in
downtown LA. Contact the Los Angeles Coalition to Stop the Execution of
Mumia Abu-Jamal  at 323-653-4510

Aug. 13         Action at the Santa Monica Pier - 7 pm.  more info soon!

Aug.13-17       National Homeless Convention will include speakers,
music, marches and vigils to demand a national homeless plan.  Contact
Dome Village,  Justiceville/Homelessness USA, 847 Golden Ave. Los
Angeles, CA 90017 or call 213-892-9011 or email DomeVillage at aol.com

Aug. 14         HUMAN NEEDS NOT CORPORATE GREED/ MARCH FOR OUR LIVES!
Mass
march on the opening day of the democratic convention sponsored by the
D2K Network. Assemble 5:00 pm downtown.  Location to be announced.  To
get involved  contact d2kmarch at d2kla.org

Aug. 14-17      Shadow Convention, sponsored by Arianna Huffington and
focusing on campaign finance reform, the widening wage gap and the
failed war on drugs.

And lots more is being planned but is not yet scheduled!