least-toxic controls policy

EWerb at aol.com EWerb at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 23:09:29 PDT 2000

i got this message from someone working with local schools to cut back on
poison use around schools, certainly a good place to start...what group-mind
thoughts might we offer?...

ew

Anyone have suggestions for weed abatement around schools?  Weeds seem to be
the worst "pest" to solve.......and Roundup is the easiest thing to use.
Our 2 reps to the committee implementing the least-toxic pest control policy
at Ventura Unified are being ganged up on to put a herbicide on the
"acceptable use list". We don't want to, but have to counter with a potential
solution that's effective & cheap. Phil Boise (from SB) is the consultant on
this and has done a good job problem solving other pests but could he be
overlooking something? Something experimental that shows promise?
Some mechanical means have been ruled out. (ie. Flamers have too much
liabilty for use).  The BIGGEST problem is a weed problem that got out of
hand while they were hammering out the list of acceptable controls. Too late
for mulch?!
Ideas?
-Deborah