Nader Speaks on Hemp Restrictions

P. Racko pracko at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 9 10:45:05 PDT 2000

SEPTEMBER 05, 14:02 EDT

   Nader Speaks on Hemp Restrictions

   By EUN-KYUNG KIM
   Associated Press Writer

   WASHINGTON (AP) — Green Party presidential candidate Ralph Nader joined people who want to grow and
   market industrial hemp Tuesday in criticizing federal agencies for making it difficult for farmers to grow the
   crop.

   Nader also spoke out against a recent raid on a South Dakota Indian reservation in which federal agents seized
   at least 2,000 plants described as industrial-grade hemp plants by the crop's owner.

   Hemp cannot be grown commercially in the U.S. because it belongs to the same family as marijuana, although
   Nader pointed out that the levels of hallucinogenic THC are far lower in hemp than in marijuana.

   ``It is analogous to consuming poppy seed bagels or nonalcoholic beer,'' he said. ``Although these foods both
   have a small psychoactive component, people do not abuse them.''

   Nader said the Drug Enforcement Administration is proposing new rules that would require a product
   containing any amount of THC to be classified a ``Schedule I'' controlled substance, the same category as
   heroin and LSD. Exceptions would be made for industrial hemp products not intended for human consumption,
   such as paper, clothing or rope.

   The proposed rules ``will continue to make it impossible for farmers to grow the crop,'' Nader said.

   While American farmers are barred from growing hemp, manufacturers are allowed to import it from other
   nations that produce hemp products.

   ``In the current farm crisis, farmers need alternative crops, and hemp will likely be more profitable than other
   commodity crops,'' Nader said. Hemp also rarely requires pesticides.

   ``The Drug Enforcement Administration and other federal agencies are greatly out of touch with the American
   public in enforcing their medieval rules regarding industrial hemp,'' he said.

   Nader said last month's hemp bust in South Dakota showed that ``while Canadian and other farmers prosper
   from industrial hemp, American farmers are unlikely to see its benefits anytime soon.''

   The Aug. 24 raid occurred on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and involved crops being raised for the Oglala
   Sioux Tribe, said Joe American Horse, a tribal program director. He denounced federal agents for invading
   territory considered sovereign by the tribe and for hauling away the results of a bumper crop, with some plants
   growing up to 20 feet, he said.

   ``We'd like to get away from federal funding, we want to be on our own. This might be the answer,'' he said.

   American Horse was joined at the news conference by members of the North American Industrial Hemp
   Council.

SEPTEMBER 08, 19:43 EDT

   Nader Favors Legalizing Marijuana

   By BARRY MASSEY
   Associated Press Writer

   SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Green Party presidential candidate Ralph Nader
   on Friday advocated the legalization of marijuana as part of an overhaul
   of the nation's ``self-defeating and antiquated drug laws.''

   Nader joined with New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, a Republican, in
   criticizing the nation's ``war on drugs'' as a failed policy for fighting drug
   use.

   ``Addiction should never be treated as a crime. It has to be treated as a
   health problem,'' Nader said at a news conference where he was flanked
   by the GOP governor.

   ``We do not send alcoholics to jail in this country. We do not send
   nicotine users to jail in this country. Over 500,000 people are in our jails who are non-violent drug users.''

   Nader — like Johnson — supports lifting criminal sanctions for marijuana possession. For other drugs, such as
   heroin, he advocated ``harm reduction'' programs, such as methadone maintenance and needle exchanges,
   that focus on treatment of addiction and prevention of health problems from drug use.

   Democrat Al Gore and Republican George W. Bush oppose legalizing marijuana, according to their campaign
   spokesmen.