Cob: Natural Building Colloquium 2000

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Sep 11 22:16:20 PDT 2000

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We are hosting another Natural Building Colloquium this fall.  Many of you
have already been to an NBC, and we expect this to be another such
information- and fun-filled event, with exceptional networking
opportunities.  Because we expect mostly "presenters" and very few
neophytes, we're experimenting with a rock-bottom price -- $100 for
Presenters and $150 for participants ($200 after Oct. 5) - and are asking
everyone to help with a bit of cooking and clean-up.  Also, there will be
no mass mailings or advertising; we will emphasize  email and word-of-mouth
distribution.  (You are encouraged to pass this information along, as
well.)  Enrollment is limited, but not restricted.

Additionally, I am hoping to generate less paperwork and spend less time on
the phone for this event. Please send in your full registration (check or
M.O.), and include your email address if you have one.  That way we can
email you registration confirmation, directions, and the day-to-day
schedule, which may not be decided until the week ahead.  Email is the
preferred method of communication, if possible.

If you would like to make a presentation, please email or fax an outline of
your topic, and we'll get back to you.  This year we acquired a new
property in Kingston - nearly nine wooded acres along the creek with a
large adobe building on it.  We plan to meet in that space and discuss our
ideas about how to utilize it in regenerative ways.  FYI, we will be out of
the office between Sept. 15 and Oct 3rd, if you need to call.  We look
for-ward to another warm and wonderful gathering of natural builders and
hope to see you there.

Best regards,
Catherine Wanek and Pete Fust
The Black Range Lodge

Natural Building Colloquium -- 2000
October 31 - Nov 4, 2000
The Black Range Lodge, Kingston, New Mexico

For Builders, Designers, Architects, Owner/Builders, Educators and anyone
with a concern for our earth and the desire to create a sustainable built
environment.

The Colloquium:

The Natural Building Colloquium is a gathering for those who share a
concern for our earth, through creating sustainable shelter and empowering
people to live within their personal and planetary means.  You are invited
to five days of hands-on workshops, presentations and discussion exploring
the renaissance of traditional natural building techniques and modern
innovations.

Topics Include:

· Straw-bale construction
· Leichtlehm (straw/clay)
· Adobe
· Cob building and sculpting
· Natural waste systems
· Baubiologie and other "healthy home" ideas
· Organic architecture
· Earthbag construction
· Natural plasters
· Timber framing
· Building with bamboo
· Thatching
· And more!

Presenters:
Confirmed presenters include Ianto Evans, Linda Smiley and Michael Smith of
the Cob Cottage Company, Matts Myhrman and Judy Knox of Out On Bale, (Un)
Ltd., Joe Kennedy, of Living Earth Design, Carole Crews of Gourmet Adobe,
Kaki Hunter and Donni Kiffmeyer of OKOKOK Productions, and many more.

The Site:
The historic Black Range Lodge has hosted three previous Natural Building
Colloquia, and is becoming a center for sustainable design, demonstration
and outreach.  Surrounded by beautiful mountains and the Gila National
Forest, the Lodge property features a number of natural buildings,
including a straw-bale dome and greenhouse, a sculptured cob oven, "Casa
Chica," a hybrid cottage and a straw-bale guest house.

Schedule:
Oct 31 - Nov 4  Morning & afternoon workshops, discussions and
presentations; evening slide shows
Oct 31 - Evening Halloween Party
Nov. 4 - Evening Talent Show
November 5 - Departures
A Daily Schedule of workshops and presentations will be available on
arrival at the Colloquium.

Lodging:
Free camping is within walking distance in the Gila National Forest.  Motel
accommodations are a 10 minute drive away in historic Hillsboro.

Meals:
Included in the Colloquium fee are delicious vegetarian meals (vegan
available).

Travel:
Albuquerque is the nearest major airport, about a 3 hour drive.

Cost:
$150 (before Oct 5th) includes complete program and meals.  $100 for
Presenters.
Participants and Presenters are asked to help prepare 3 meals and clean up
after 3 meals during the 5-day event.

After Oct 5th the fee is $200.

· The cost is low to encourage early registration.
· Checks or money orders only (no credit cards).
· Participation is limited, register early

To Register:   Please send your registration fee with the form below to:

The Black Range Lodge
Star Rt. 2, Box 119
Kingston, NM  88042
Phone: (505) 895-5652
Fax: (505) 895-3326
Email: blackrange at zianet.com
www.zianet.com/blackrange/lodge
www.StrawbaleCentral.com

You will be sent confirmation of registration and a map by mid October.
Please help us out by NOT calling until after Oct 5th -- (we'll be gone
from Sept 17 - Oct 3).
  If you'd like to make a presentation, email or fax an outline of your
topic and we'll respond.

AREAS OF EXPERTISE / INTERESTS

----
send email to GSBN at lists.greenbuilder.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.