STUDENT FARM EVENTS FALL 2000 at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Ca

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Sep 26 21:15:12 PDT 2000

Finally, a post from our fellow sustainable farmers at Cal Poly, with
exciting news!!!!

<<Hi Everyone!

Hope your fall is off to a good start!  A lot has been happening at the
Student
Farm this summer including: intensive organic gardening for a popular new CSA
(Community Supported Agriculture) program skillfully organized by our new
Farm
Manager (Terry Hooker)!, native oak plantings, bee-keeping (new hives),
biodynamic (and regular) composting and construction of a beautiful new deer
fence by the College of Agriculture!  If you haven't been to the Student Farm
recently, you should make a point of joining us for any or all of the
following
events:

HARVEST FESTIVAL: Saturday, October 7 (12 noon-4 pm).  Join us for an
afternoon
of fun and food at a first annual potluck gathering.  All are invited to this
free celebration of our season's abundant harvest.  Samples of delicious
organic
produce will be available for you to taste and take home.  Farm tours will
provide a good opportunity to meet our student farmers and to share ideas on
how
to grow high-quality organic food.  Music and merry-making are encouraged so
bring your instruments and dancing shoes.  (The Student Farm is located 1/4
mile
west of the Dairy Unit and Rodeo - off of Mount Bishop Rd.)

NATURAL BUILDING WORKSHOP Highlighting LIME PLASTERS:  Saturday and Sunday,
October 28-29 (10 am-4 pm).  We are very pleased to announce Cal Poly
graduate
Alison Pernell will be joining us from Sacramento to share her knowledge
about
preparing and applying natural plasters as an alternative building technique.

We will be making a lime plaster and apply it to the strawbale building which
Alison designed (and won national recognition for!) last year.  The plaster
will
protect the sides of the building during bad weather.  This special workshop
is
free and open to all those interested in learning more about the inspiring
world
of natural building.  Bring a lunch, gloves (lime is caustic) and a trowel if
you have one (a large plastic yogurt lid works fine).

SUSTAINABLE STUDENT FARM CLUB EVENTS - Throughout the year, the "SustClub"
(an ASI-recognized student club) offers a variety of events and activities
for
the benefit of campus and community members.  Some upcoming events this fall
are:

STUDENT FARM CLEAN UP:  Friday October 6 (3 pm until dark).  Join us for a
community work party for the continued beautification of the Student Farm.
This
will be a good opportunity to make new friends and to work off the week's
worries!

SUSTCLUB TRIP to the CA. FARM CONFERENCE in SANTA ROSA:  November 17-19.
This
gathering should prove to be an excellent way to find out about the latest
trends in sustainable agriculture.  <califroniafarmconference.com>  Details
on
the trip will be posted soon.

STUDENT VOLLEYBALL TEAM FORMING:  "SustClubbers" will take to the (gym) floor
for some intramural recreation sure to demonstrate the raw power of organics!

Contact Alexis for details.

SUSTCLUB ORGANIZATIONAL MEETINGS: Alternate Tuesdays (11 am), October 10 and 2
4,
and November 7 and 21.  Everyone is invited to come help plan club activities
and to network with others on campus who are interested in promoting
planetary
sustainability.

Hope to see you soon!

Hunter Francis (wfrancis at calpoly.edu)  and the SustClub Officers:

Alexis Pouillon (alexis at value.net), President
Jack Lagier (jlagier at calpoly.edu), Vice President
Kristi Mussack (kmussack at calpoly.edu), Secretary/Treasurer
Robin Short (rshort at calpoly.edu), Public Relations Director>>
If you have questions regarding the usage of this list,  please send
mailto:hopedance-owner at omnipost.com