Article in Voices Sunday Nov 5, 2000 newspress by Gary Duncan Smartshelter with intro added left out of article

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Nov 8 06:40:36 PST 2000

GARY DUNCAN FROM SMARTSHELTER NETWORK
Natural Building in the American Southwest Slide Show and Talk

Nov 8: Wed Ojai...7pm Happy Valley School Auditorium, contact Dave White,
Ojai Permaculture Guild, 805-646-9809; artdetour at mac.com.Zalk Theatre 8585
HWY 150,
Nov 9: Thursday Santa Barbara..... , 7:00pm at the Santa Barbara Public
Library Main Branch Downtown, Faulkner Gallery, donation $3, contact 962-2571
or sbpcnet at silcom.com. The Sustainability Project,Cohearts, Mac's Solar,
Community Environmental Council
Nov. 10: Friday San Luis Obispo... 7pm at the Community Room at the SLO
Library
co-sponsored by HopeDance (544-9663), Sustainable Building Council, CC
Permaculture Guild
and the Canaries of the Central Coast, Future Electric

Positive Solutions with Natural Building Margie Bushman

Smart Shelter Network
Positive Solutions with Natural Building Introduction

Last April South Coast Permaculture Guild did a presentation on Earthships
as a part of our monthly meeting at the Community Environmental Council in
Santa Barbara, California. In the audience was Gary Duncan, from Smart
Shelter Network in southwestern Colorado, and we were lucky enough to spend
time with him before he left Santa Barbara, and learn of his immense
knowledge of natural and alternative building design.

Strawbale, cob, and adobe. We've all heard about them, maybe even dreamed
of owning one, but what exactly is involved in building one of these non-
conventional structures? Since they have been around for so long, why don't
we see more them?
    Gary Duncan had many of these same questions and a curiosity to learn
more. He began Smart Shelter Network as a result of an illness caused from
many years of working with toxic building materials. He had also observed
how many alternative building structures were being built in his corner of
southwestern Colorado, and conceived the idea of forming a network to share
and exchange knowledge on this vast subject. This network would not only
share information on how to build, but explain what was involved in
financing, insuring and permitting these structures. This wonderful vision
became a reality and now the
network provides advocacy and education to the public, code officials,
bankers, material suppliers, and the media. It is composed of members who
form tasks forces to learn about specific issues, such as water catchement,
ferro cement, strawbale, bamboo, pressed earth block and more.
         Gary will share his experiences in an upcoming lecture and slide
show (see ad in this issue for specific details) with over 3000 slides of
documented case studies he has collected over the last six years..

**************************
POSITIVE BUILDING SOLUTIONS  by gary duncan
Where’s the positive way out? As news of the increasing destruction of our
planet¹s environment escalates, more and more people are seeing that
effective personal action is not only advisable.but absolutely necessary.
Gandhi kept turning our attention, often focused on other people’s
action,back to the real origin of responsibility back to ourselves.
Pro-active environmentalism is necessary. We need to be pressuring the
electric energy producers, developers and auto manufacturers to turn the
course of global warming and resource depletion around.
But the lion¹s share of effective changes will come not from those who
produce commodities, but from changing the way we consume them. This is
called demand side management.
Of all the purchases we make in a life-time, the buildings we live and work
in pack the largest environmental wallop we finance as consumers. They are
responsible for the loss of old-growth forests.
They are heated and lit with electricity...the number one contributor
world-wide to global climate change. 30% of these  harbor toxins sufficient
to produce environmental illness in their dwellers.(according to the EPA
and World Health
Organization)

There are a couple of beacons of hope on the horizon. Some of them are
delightful surprises, which is often characteristic of profound solutions
to perplexing problems.
Bucky Fuller¹s concept of “Synergy” stated the seemingly impossible. He
insisted that solutions could be found.Solutions which will produce more
energy than they require to create. Strawbale Hybrid Solar Design is just
such a solution. A natural home built of soil and bales not only reduces
the slaughter of
trees, it produces super-insulated, sound-proof, affordable homes for those
with the spirit to step out of the ordinary and build one.

After you¹ve felt the interior ambience of these 'Natural Homes'. Of which
I¹ve been through a couple of hundred now, you realize Bucky¹s synergy
extends to the subjective and spiritual realm as well. These homes feel and
live on levels impossible to describe until you¹ve felt them and definitely
far above that of
conventional dwellings.

The second irony of natural homes has to do with their cost and the
attitude of their owners. We have found here in Western Colorado that
people who go the extra mile in considering the environmental impacts of
their homes have a definite tendency to wind up in them at 10-30% less cost
than those who
3are selfish and don¹t care. We can¹t explain that, but we know for a fact
that it¹s a verifiable pattern.Much of the experimental era in Natural
Building is over. The cutting edge explorers willing to tackle raw desert
and isolation to create this new architecture have already laid the
foundation for the most profound change in the history of the American
Building Industry. There is no longer any doubt that
agricultural waste products and soil can save our forests and produce
better buildings. Load Bearing Strawbale and hybrid designs are tried,
tested, and in many jurisdictions, already approved. These techniques are
now spreading from new construction projects to application in retrofit of
existing homes.

These are techniques you can use today in the house you already live in.
You don¹t need to wait to be able to afford a new one.
There are several hotbeds across the nation where natural building is
flourishing. The area of Southwestern Colorado from Aspen to Pagosa Springs
(roughly equivalent to the area from San Luis Obispo to San Diego) hosts
200 known strawbale buildings (of which 28 are load-bearing), 50
earthships, 2000 adobe structures and healthy smatterings of rammed earth,
cob, poured adobe, non-
toxic and reclaimed structures. This is the highest documented per-capita
utilization of sustainable building techniques in the United States.

In the years to come, the availability of healthy homes(especially for
those of us with environmental illnesses) and the right to build
sustainably may depend on entities similar to the Smart Shelter Network
which documents, studies, photographs and advocates natural building in
this mountain area with
bankers, insurers, builders, code officials and politicians. It acts as an
independent, business-based to support sustainable building, in sharp
contrast to the lobby interests of the multi-national corporations who
produce manufactured building products and write the building codes.

Southern California already has some of the ingredients necessary in the
California Strawbale Association , Sustainability Project, the Green
Building Alliance in Santa Barbara, the Sustainable Building Council of the
Central Coast and Ecohome Network located in Los Angeles and South Coast

Permaculture Guild and it's related guilds in Southern California. It has
an arsenal of talent in people like  Architect Jim Bell who brought us
Santa Barbara¹s one of first strawbale project and Dennis Allen of Allen
and Associates and Wes Roe and Margie Bushman of the Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network.

Networks like Smart Shelter take natural building into the business realm,
creating and supporting jobs and a professional class dedicated to
sustainability. It establishes credibility with politicians, financiers and
code officials by objectively studying and documenting large numbers of
natural building techniques. Entering it¹s 5th year in Colorado, the Smart
Shelter service area does not contain a single code jurisdiction which does
not support strawbale construction. This works and the reason why is that
it bases its resources and advocacy on the professional building community
as well as the person building or remodeling their own home.

On Nov 9 Smart Shelter and the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network will
present at the Faulkner Library Santa Barbara Public Library at 7pm
donation $3 an1 1/2 hour slide show on natural building in Western
Colorado...the majestic scenery, the million dollar strawbale homes, the
converted WWII
quonset huts with adobe sun rooms an armchair tour of some of the most
vibrant natural architecture in America and the characters who create it.

On Sat, Nov 11 Smart Shelter will produce a half-day workshop geared toward
creating a Network of this type in Southern California (1-6 pm, CEC Gildea
Resource Center, Santa Barbara).

For slide show and workshop information <sbpcnet at silcom.com>.

For information about Smart Shelter Network www.smartshelter.com.

By Special Request of the speaker this event will be “FRAGRANCE FREE”

Margie Bushman is a organizer and board member of the Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network, she has been active for over 3 years bringing
programs and teachers to Santa Barbara.

Gary Duncan is a fourth generation native of Western Colorado. His academia
background is in mathematics ,physics and architectural design. He has 35
years of building experience, forming Smart Shelter Network after
experiencing an illness caused from years of working with toxic building
materials, an observing the unsustainability of his profession

CONTACT Margie Bushman at 962-2571 or sbpcnet at silcom.com

Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network
224 E. Figueroa St, #C