[Scpg] Simplifying life...(resend)

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Thu Feb 1 20:48:25 PST 2001

this was from Linda Buzzell, some may have got this previously as an
attachment, for those who have already gotten and read this,  i (sp)am sorry
ew

Hi All,

If organic gardening is part of an ongoing process of simplifying life for
you (as it is for me), you might be interested in knowing about a free SBCC
Adult Ed class I'm teaching with Dr. Bruce Anderson (a buddy of ours from the
S B Simplicity Circle) in February.  Among other topics, we'll definitely be
discussing the joys of "growing your own"!

More Joy, Less Stuff:
Coping With Consumerism

    *  In the midst of so much material wealth, why are many of us unhappy
with the quality of our lives?

    Find out how material self-indulgence distorts values and keeps us
trapped in a cycle of work-and-spend.  Learn practical steps to counter the
influence of consumerism and make life simpler, more meaningful and rewarding.

    Topics to be explored include:

    * What causes the time stress, the lack of connection and community?

    * Is there another way to live that would give us greater satisfaction?

    * Why does the consumer society have such a hold on us, and what can we
do to break free?

Richard Bruce Anderson, Ph.D. has lectured in environmental studies at UCSB
for six years.  His columns and articles on consumerism, voluntary
simplicity, and related topics have appeared in the Los Angeles Times, the
Chicago Tribune, and numerous other publications.

Linda Buzzell-Saltzman, M.A., MFT, a founding member of Santa Barbara's first
Simplicity Circle, is a counselor who specializes in career and lifestyle
issues.

Santa Barbara City College Adult Ed,   Class # 20251801
Wednesday, February 21 & Wednesday, February 28,  7:30pm - 9:30pm
Room 28, Schott Center, 310 West Padre St., Santa Barbara
(805) 687-0812                      www.sbcc.net/ce