[Scpg] we need your help getting the word out to kids & schools re WORMS!

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Tue Apr 24 16:04:25 PDT 2001

Hi All Organic Gardeners,

Next month's Santa Barbara Organic Garden Club presentation (Wed, May 16,
7pm)  will be fascinating not only for adult gardeners who want to experiment
with worm composting but also may have special appeal for kids and their
families -- especially since all who attend will get FREE WORMS!

If you have contacts at schools, please let the staff and science teachers
know about this free event.  Info is below.

WONDERFUL, WIGGLY WORMS! The Joys of Vermicomposting

Worms are our friends! They eat our garbage and turn it into food for our
plants!

Our featured speaker will be Michael Thompson, who has 40 years experience as
an Organic Gardener and "Worm Herder."  Dr. Thompson holds a BA in Zoology
from UCSB, plus BS and DDS from SCSF.  He'll describe the various types of
worms, teach us how to make or get vermicomposting bins, talk about how worms
can help us compost ALL kitchen wastes.  Best of all, he'll provide FREE WORM
SAMPLES FOR ALL ATTENDING!  Our moderator is Santa Barbara Organic Garden
Club member Kate Lundy.

When: Wednesday, May 16, 2001, 7 p.m., Community Environmental Council/
Gildea Center, 930 Miramonte Dr. in Santa Barbara.

Directions: from downtown Santa Barbara take Carrillo up the hill towards the
Mesa, At the top of the hill turn left onto Miramonte Dr. Continue for
approx. 1/2 mile and watch for the sign for the Gildea Center on the left.
Park on Miramonte and walk down the short driveway to the Center. For more
info on directions call the center at 963-0583.

For more information on this event or the club call Linda or Larry Saltzman
at 805/563-2089 or e-mail lbsaltzman at aol.com.

Also, you may have noticed in today's LA Times (4/19/01) a great article
about a U. of Washington study showing that organic apple farming is better
than conventional!  But we already knew that, right?

Cheers,
Linda and Larry

Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network