[Scpg] Rooftops and Urban Agriculture

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Mon May 28 12:58:14 PDT 2001

Hi everyone
         Here my last posting on roof top gardens to help the research move
forward. Let us know if and when you are going to build one, so we can all
collectively learn
                                                 wes
http://www.cityfarmer.org/subrooftops.html#roofs

Published by City Farmer, Canada's Office of Urban Agriculture

Rooftops and Urban Agriculture

<http://www.taunton.com/kg/features/design/rooftop/1.htm>Rooftop Refuge in
the Asphalt Jungle
"The sunny roof and arches inspired me to grow a pot of basil. Soon I would
be eating my own pesto sauce. It seemed so innocent at first, but once I
got my hands into the dirt, I couldn't stop with just one container. I had
gotten the gardening bug." Posted March 11, 2001

<fishfarm.htm#fishfarm>Roofwater<fishfarm.htm#fishfarm> Fish Farm Ideal For
Learning
"Scientist Vivienne Hallman on periurban acres at Figtree Pocket, 10
kilometres from the Brisbane, CBD Australia, is proving that urban fringe
farmers can grow native fish successfully on natural foods. Most of the
water can come from a home rooftop. Much of the fish food can be home-grown
earthworms and insect larvae." Posted February 12, 2000

<roofttopmicrofarm.htm#microfarms>An Urban Rooftop Integrated Microfarm For
Mt.Gravatt's<roofttopmicrofarm.htm#microfarms> Commercial Buildings
(Australia)
"Key technologies, such as hydroponics, aquaculture, aquaponics,
vermiculture, and very small animal husbandry can now be integrated safely
and economically into modern urban rooftop microfarms which can: A. Take
food wastes from local restaurants and food shops. B. Put them through a
biogas digester to eliminate pathogens and other harmful micro-organisms.
C. Use advanced vermiculture to create nutrients for fish and plants from
the sterilised food wastes. D. Grow fish, crustaceans, herbs, salad
vegetables and selected small animals (such as quails and meat rabbits) for
sale to local restaurants or food stores." Posted February 12, 2000

<http://www.peck.ca/grhcc/resources.htm>Green Roof Infrastructure Monitor
"Research conducted by Green Roofs for Healthy Cities reveals that in
Germany, 10% of all flat roofs have green roofs. This represents over 55
million square metres of green roof infrastructure in place since 1989.
Almost 50 per cent of German cities (77 cities) have programs in place that
support the development and growth of a market for green roof
infrastructure." Past issues available in PDF format. Updated December 11, 2000

<http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/2803/>Russian Eco-Apartment Plan
Includes Rooftop Food Garden and Basement Worm Composting
"The brick 9-storied building, constructed in 1966, consists of 267
apartments with 540 residents, 60% of whom are pensioners. It produces 200
kilograms of food garbage daily in winter time and 300 kg in summer time.
The house has a flat roof of 1700 square meters, 25 m from the ground and a
cellar measuring 600 square meters." Posted October 29, 1998
<russiastp.htm#russiastp>Rooftop Gardening in St. Petersburg, Russia
"This year we also started a ground level garden in the Artificial Limb
Institute which rehabilitates invalids who lost legs or arms in the War in
Chechnia (mostly boys of age 18-25)."

<rooftopTO.htm#rooftopTO>Annex Organics' Rooftop Farming Business
"Toronto's Annex Organics is growing 25 rare types of tomatoes and 10
varieties of hot peppers, along with various tomatillos and cape
gooseberries. All of their produce is certified organic. " Posted February
15, 1999

<greenroofs.htm#greenroof>Green Roofs Cool City Rooftop Gardens in Chicago
to Fight Smog, Heat
"The city environment department plans to plant gardens atop several city
buildings this summer as part of a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
program studying ways to help cool cities and reduce smog." Updated April
23, 1999

<rooftop59.htm#rooftop>Rooftop Gardens
Toronto's Rooftop Gardens Resource Group delves into roofing, structural
considerations and building codes.

<roofthesisIntr.htm#roofthesisIntr>Masters Thesis: The Potential of Rooftop
Gardening
Joseph St. Lawrence has written eloquently about his work creating a roof
garden on a warehouse in downtown Toronto. We have published 15,000 words
of his 22,000 word paper.

<beekeepNY.htm#beeNY>New York City Rooftop Beekeepers Defy Law to Get That
Sweet Central Park Bouquet
"The city's urban bee mavens inhabit their own entomological universe...
There are puns about the, well, plight of the bumblebee and requests to
'lend me your comb'; and, yes, there are questions about whether to bee or
not to bee." Posted July 21, 1999

<http://www.arts4all.com/elca/>Plastic Wading Pools Make Excellent
Container Gardens
"Dr. Ebenezer set about to prove the feasibility of growing vegetables in
plastic wading pools. In 1997, gardeners harvested 984 pounds of vegetables
from 38 pools in an area measuring 1,625 square feet. The urban agriculture
project of the ELCA demonstrates how fresh, healthy vegetables can be grown
inexpensively in containers virtually anywhere -- at the edges of parking
lots; along railroad tracks; on back porches; on rooftops; in patios; in
driveways; and in vacant lots between buildings." Posted July 9, 1999

Two other useful container gardening sites:
<http://www.windowbox.com>Windowbox<http://www.windowbox.com>.Com
<http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/container_gardening>Suite101 Container
Gardening
<http://www.usc.edu/dept/garden/>The
Tele<http://www.usc.edu/dept/garden/>-Garden
No garden space whatsover? Then garden through your computer screen! "This
tele-robotic installation allows WWW users to view and interact with a
remote garden filled with living plants. Members can plant, water, and
monitor the progress of seedlings via the tender movements of an industrial
robot arm."

<condofarm85.htm#condo>Condo Farming
Victoria urban farmers work with developer to build "edible" three-storey
condominium.

<http://felix.geog.mcgill.ca/other/environ/1998/group5/g5irp1.html>Rooftops
Montreal
An Overview and History of Rooftop Gardening (Environmental Studies Seminar
182-451) On the City of Montreal, Quebec Posted August 6, 2000

New Feature! Search Our Site

<urbagnotes1.htm#notes>Return to Contents' Page

Revised March 11, 2001