[Scpg] Sun, July 8th, 7:30 pm Talk on Intentional Communities at L.A. Eco-Village

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Tue Jun 26 22:00:45 PDT 2001

You are invited to a talk
with
DIANA LEAFE CHRISTIAN
on
"Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: What We Can Learn from Other
Intentional Communities Nationwide"

SUNDAY     JULY 8TH     7:30 pm

at
117 Bimini
Los Angeles Eco-Village
(one block east of Vermont, one block south of First Street.  Directions:
 >From the intersection of First and Vermont in Los Angeles, go one block
east on First St.,  turn right on Bimini to first building on right.
This is a few blocks south of the Beverly/Vermont Metro or a short block
east of the #204 bus stop at First/Vermont).

Diana is the Editor of  "Communities Magazine" and author of the
forthcoming book "Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow an
Intentional Community" (New Society Publishers, Spring, 2002).

Please RSVP to Lois Arkin, 213/738-1254 (space is limited)

Suggested Donation: $10 (sliding scale ok)

Diana is full of information and anecdotes, and welcomes people's
questions about a variety of community topics, including:

     * How do we get more people more actively involved?
     * How do we make meetings more lively, upbeat, productive, and fun?
     * How do we help ourselves be more accountable to each other (in
terms of what we said we'd do as community tasks, or our financial
commitments)
     * How can we give each other important feedback, or ask for changes
in each other's behavior, without straining our friendships?
     * Are there any sure-fire good communication tips?
     * What are the range of decision-making methods (and do we always
have to use the same one)?
     * How can we use the "public/private scale" to test for agreement in
a group with diverse ideas?
     * How can we do a quick "bottom-line values test" to help get us
through disagreements in meetings?
    * What's the importance of our vision/purpose and vision statement?
    *  What are options in community governance?
    * What are some of the legal structures we could use for various
purposes? (general overview)
    * How have other communities dealt with the four main areas of typical
community conflict:  Dogs, Dishes, Kids, and Cars

Since 1992 Diana has studied forming communities--what works, what
doesn¹t work, and how not to reinvent the wheel, especially in today¹s
economic and zoning climate. She leads workshops on this for forming
community groups and at public venues nationwide, and for the Fellowship
for Intentional Community¹s regional Art of Community gatherings.  Diana
has been editor of  "Communities" magazine since 1993. Her articles on
raising children in community, legal options for communities, and
forming new communities have appeared in the "Communities Directory"
(Fellowship for Intentional Community, 1995 and 2000 editions), and in
"Creating Harmony:  Conflict Resolution in Community" (Permanent
Publications, 1999, London).  Diana is in the process of becoming a member
of Earthaven Ecovillage in North Carolina.

NOTE:  If you would like to ad or delete someone from this list, please
notify me.  Thanks.  Lois