[Scpg] Sorrento Valley Straw Bale Wrkshp San Diego

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Sep 16 10:24:39 PDT 2001

    Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 07:06:22 -0700
    From: "Bob Bolles" <bob at strawbalehouse.com>
Subject: Sept. Straw Bale Workshops

September 22 ­ 23 and 29 ­ 30   8:30 AM ­ 5:00 PM

Dear Friends, Balers and Mudders

Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims, their families and loved
ones, and give deep thanks to the heroes that have responded.

While our lives have just been changed in ways we cannot imagine, we have a
renewed determination to carry on with our current projects and the broader
goals of living sustainably and self sufficiently. Seabreeze Organic Farm
Straw Bale Workshop — There is no charge for the workshop

We are in the process of building a 14’ X 21’ Straw Bale shed, with rubble
trench foundation, urbanite (broken concrete) stem wall, Straw Bale walls
(with a large oval window), tree-trunk top plate, and earth plastered
walls. The bale walls are built, top plates installed and the first coats
of earth plaster are on. The next steps are to assemble and install an
arched roof system, made of 4’ X 7’ curved panels. 4 of these panels will
be bolted and screwed together to make one arched section, 4’ wide. Three
of these sections will be made and installed, with blocking and sheeting
between, to complete the roof structure. When completed, it will be
spectacular.

As the roof is constructed, we will continue to complete the earth plaster
on the inside and out. Bring a tape measure, pocketknife, work and/or
rubber gloves, and as always, hat, sunscreen, and any special drinks —
Lunch ­ This time we are asking for participants to bring something to
share. This will be a wonderful opportunity to learn the application of
using locally available and inexpensive building materials. Bob Bolles of
Sustainable Earth Enterprises, Inc (SEE), will host this workshop.

Directions to Seabreeze Organic Farm Address:
3909 Arroyo Sorrento Road
San Diego, CA 92130
(858) 481-0209
Workshop hours - 8:30AM - 5:00PM

Seabreeze is located in the hills overlooking Tory Pines reserve and beach,
East of I-5, just North of the 805 and I-5 merge, and South of the Ted
Williams Freeway - Hwy 56. (1999-2000 Thomas Guide - 1207 J-1, 1208 A1-2)
The easiest way to get there is from I-5 onto Carmel Valley Road East. Turn
South on El Camino Real. Turn Left (East) on Arroyo Sorrento - past the
stop sign and look for a sign on the right - "Workshop Parking". The path
up the hill leads to the farm.

Please email me if you need more information Bob at StrawBaleHouse.com

Regards
Bob

New email address:
Bob at StrawBaleHouse.com