[Scpg] "Permaculture is revolution disguised as gardening", (Mike Feingold)

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Oct 14 09:56:28 PDT 2001

http://www.findhorn.org/ecovillage/archives/training/jane.html
Seeds of Peace by Jane Rasbash

hi everyone
         Here a part of a beautiful article written about Ecovillage
Training at Findhorn in Scotland
                                                                 wes

The Findhorn organic gardens operate an earthshare scheme. This entails
local people who are interested in eating seasonal, organic vegetables
paying for these in advance and having a box each week from the gardens
thus missing out the middle man and ensuring fresh produce. Earthshare also
supply the Findhorn kitchens where our group spent two afternoons turning
the vegetables into a tasty dinner for around one hundred people.
"Permaculture is revolution disguised as gardening", (Mike Feingold) Jane
Hera's friendly and down to earth leadership was greatly appreciated during
the permaculture module. She explained how most cultures are deeplyrooted
in agriculture systems thus permaculture can relate to anything. I had a
little chuckle with others in the group who were familiar with the Buddhist
teachings when it was mentioned that the word permaculture had derived from
"permanent". In the Buddhist tradition everything is seen as impermanent.
Jane explained that permaculture was an ethical discipline that advocates
caring, sharing and repairing the earth. Permaculture involves observing
and learning to look at the world, landscape and natural systems. The
principles outlined included looking for multiple functions for single
elements, finding beneficial functional relationships and using energy
efficient planning thus advocating inter-connection and sustainable use of
resources. To start with, Jane suggested looking at the land for one year
and observing what happens in different seasons. How does the land change,
what plants grow and how do they relate to each other, what about the
effects of the wind, the frost, the snow and the sun. Of course if you are
local or indigenous you would have a huge start and it makes sense to learn
from residents if you are new to an area. Then comes the permaculture
design where a pictorial vision is created. The vision is an overview of a
long term plan and the process for this includes zoning the land with
different functions for each zone. Great thought is given to how the land
will be in many years to come and long term planting with a succession of
plants to create a healthy eco-system is used. Then you work out what the
first achievable steps are rather than get over whelmed with detailed
planning at an early stage. I was inspired by this approach that seems very
relevant to our work with participatory development, indigenous values,
sustainable agriculture and social justice and my imagination ran riot with
the possibilities of a synthesis of all these aspects - perhaps it really
is a revolutionary approach.