[Scpg] Permaculture and Education by Dave White of Ojai Permaculture

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Fri Jan 4 07:23:21 PST 2002

hi everyone
         here is an article that Dave White wrote for Hopedance Issue
Permaculture "A Quiet Revolution" Nov/Dec 2001 www.hopedance.org  And
follow up message Dave sent about a grant he got to aid his Permaculture
Work at Happy Valley School in Ojai Ca
                 wes
Great news!
The Happy Valley Foundation has been awarded a $6,000 grant for
environmental projects by the Star Fund of the Tides Foundation, on the
recommendation of Angela and Anthony Ocone. These funds will provide
support for the school's Permaculture program and help its outreach to
other educational centers through July 2002.
Permaculture at Happy Valley continues to thrive!
David R White PhD
Environmental Coordinator
Happy Valley School
PO Box 850
Ojai, CA 93024
(805) 646 4343
http:www.hvalley.org

Permaculture and Education.  David R White PhD.  October 10th, 2001
         Teaching our children about the environment can become a listing
of dire scenarios. Global warming, ozone depletion, pollution, topsoil
loss, diversity loss and overpopulation provide a daunting
curriculum.  Permaculture design is an all encompassing, positive approach
to the environment that students can easily understand and relate to.  I
have spent the last 5 years teaching a Permaculture curriculum for high
school students at the Happy Valley School in the Upper Ojai Valley,
Ventura County.  This curriculum is land based, hands-on and does not stop
at the school's gates; rather it  reaches into the local community through
adult education on the land, seminars and slide shows.  In the essay I will
detail some of the teaching strategies I use.
         One of my first lesson plans of the year for my environmental
science class is a visit to an undisturbed native climax community, in our
case a hillside of coast live oaks. These provide a wealth of information
to the observant.  Perhaps most importantly they providing the student with
a clear understanding of natural soil production.  Building soils by
mimicking natural soil production through mulching  provides a key hands-on
component of this class throughout the year.
         Another early lesson is to achieve an overview of the campus,
from  surrounding vantage points and maps, to distinguish on-site from
off-site resources.  The clear connection between fossil-fueled
transportation for off-site resources, with all its attendant,
multi-faceted problems, can be made at this point .  Emphasizing and
utilizing on-site resources is a key theme of this Permaculture
class.  Students design and build methods for using the on-site resources
of sun, rain and food.  Making A-frame levels and cutting swales or ditches
on contour can be a fun and effective lesson theme, although extensive
earth moving has to be coordinated with other land management interests,
most importantly weed abatement in our semi-rural location.  No point in
building swales which are disced over in the spring.  An important aspect
of  Permaculture education is the coordination of land
management.  Teaching our grounds crew to disc and mow on contour, and by
providing low growing drought tolerant ground cover for them to mow helps
increase rain water percolation and reduce erosion at our site.
         Producing food on site is an aspect of Permaculture design that
many schools have embraced at least symbolically.  Strawberries along a
pathway make a walk a treat.  However, initial enthusiasm for garden
construction can dwindle, especially if the garden is built far from paths
well traveled.  Small gardens would probably do best to focus on flower
production with occasional food plants intermingled.  Bunches of flowers on
the administrators desk are a sure way to garner support.  Perennial
plantings are emphasized.  The reality of producing the daily food
needs  for a school is overwhelming for most, although successful programs
exist at Midland, Pacific High, Oak Grove and Happy Valley schools.  We
have been most successful by leasing land adjacent to the school to an
organic farmer.  This interface has proven to be a fertile edge at Happy
Valley, with students gaining from the farmer's input and vice versa.
         Tree planting has long been recognized as a celebratory marking of
our lives on earth.   Planting and caring for trees is a central focus of
Happy Valley's Permaculture program.  This private high school now has
approximately 100  diverse fruit trees planted by students around its
campus.  This focus on perennial food production requires that appropriate
trees are chosen and planted in places where they will thrive.  This
includes choosing trees that fruit during the school year.  We have had
success with apples, pears, nectarines, mulberries, walnuts, Asian
persimmons and citrus.  Our avocados are an experiment in micro-climates,
planted on our south facing, frost draining hillsides. Burgeoning crops of
apricots in August have little teaching impact on students during summer
vacation, although the presence of a commercial kitchen could allow for
value to be added to this food production through canning, drying or
otherwise preserving.
         Composting is another hands on tool integrated into the Happy
Valley Permaculture curriculum.  It mimics the natural pattern of turning
waste into food.  For the science teacher, the compost pile provides many
lesson plans, such as classification of soil biota.  Composting completes
the cycle between the kitchen and the land.  Straw bales provide an easily
maneuverable carbon source to balance the high nitrogen waste.  Composting
clean kitchen scraps is less messy than processing slops, although this
could be done with appropriate space and management, perhaps in the form of
a worm composting facility.  As landfill space continues to become more
expensive, the dumping of slops into trash should become a thing of the
past and we should see more support for innovative green waste
composting.  An overview of green waste disposal becomes the purview of a
Permaculture coordinator.  The grounds crew cut brush and mow, but what
happens to the trimmings.  Are they trashed or burned?.!
  We have moved toward processing brush on site by arranging it in
wind-rows and having a neighboring farmer come over and flail it for
us.  This mulches some of our orchards and provides the carbon input for
large scale composting, if the equipment (a front loader) and trained
personnel are available.
         Most schools will have only limited funds available to support a
Permaculture program.  To ensure that students are taught a proactive
approach to the environment,  it is vital that all schools provide support
for an effective environmental coordinator.  Realistically, a successful
Permaculture program will require some creative funding.  Small grants are
available for garden programs and other innovative teaching methods.  The
Hansen trust in Ventura County funds school gardens.  Amgen provides
educational mini grants. Check with your county library for grant
information.  The Ventura County Community Foundation in Camarillo  and the
Santa Barbara City Library have the Foundation Directory for searching for
grant information.  Donations can be solicited from appropriate
parties.  Be bold about asking for funding, this is important
work.  Internship funding for key roles, such as composting or harvesting
from the garden for the kitchen can encourage students to become more di!
rectly involved.   Happy Valley School has links to the Evergreen College
in Washington and Oberlin College in Ohio, who send students to teach and
learn.  This is particularly useful in January, when we prune our trees to
prevent disease and damage from fruit overload.
                 A hands-on procedure which is both soil building and
mulching and uses on-site resources is the planting of soil builder
mix.  Growing nitrogen fixing legumes such as peas, beans and vetch and
carbon fixing cereals such as oats, barley or triticale creates fertile
soil, diverse habitat and provides mulch which students can cut with hand
sickles and pile around their trees.  Mulch is grown where it is needed,
producing fertility locally.  We also sow seeds of insectary plants such as
calendula, and in a lesson on vegetative propagation we transplant mints,
such as lemon balm, rosemary, lavender, spearmint and peppermint, which
attract beneficial insects and act as ground cover. Students are
responsible for creating mini- gardens around each tree.  On hillsides they
sculpt and terrace the landscape around the tree to maximize water
percolation.  Plans are based on staking out contours using bunyip, A-frame
or builders bubble levels. Disturbed soil is seeded for soil building and
beneficial insect habitat, with emphasis on cuttings and seed collection
from surrounding plantings.  Earthworks are mulched where possible with
cardboard, straw, wood chips and compost to augment the soil.  Moving
wheelbarrows full of mulch is a good workout for all students.  Plantings
are amended with mycorhizzae and the micro nutrients and minerals found in
river sand, bone and blood meal. Students fertilize their trees with
feather meal which is 14% protein.  Commercial growers aim for one pound of
nitrogen per tree per year.
         A basic principle of Permaculture Design is that of multiple
functions from a single element.  Using this template experiments on seed
germination can use food plants, such as tomatoes, which can then be
planted out in the garden. Companion planting and plant guild creation can
also be experimented with.  Fast growing trees can be planted with vines,
ground cover and root crops around them.  The shrub layer can include the
beautiful native ceanothus which is a nitrogen fixer.  Plant guilds can
also be setup in large containers. Students learn about the seven layers of
forestry and try to fill as many niches as possible.  Ground covers of
strawberry and mint with vines like kiwi, passion fruit or grape can be
planted with a variety of different trees.  Use caution planting fast
growing grapes; these will smother semi-dwarf fruit trees unless
intensively managed on an annual basis.
         Happy Valley School also has a circular fifty-five foot diameter
fenced garden which is currently laid out with 16 keyhole beds in a mandala
pattern.  Each student in the biology class has a bed for
experiments.  This years theme is carbon fixation.  Students participate in
planting and harvesting in the neighboring organic farm, and their
Permaculture curriculum also includes native regeneration in both upland
and riparian areas.  Student progress is monitored through their journals
in which they keep  a record of all that goes on in the class; their
homework is their journal.  In the field we witness a wide array of natural
phenomena.  Snakes, all manner of insects, tarantulas, toads, vultures,
deer, swallows or frogs have been encountered.  Students are encouraged to
research these natural surprises and present their findings to the class
for extra-credit.  Many create beautiful journals filled with their own
illustrations and photographs.  I use "Introduction to Permaculture" as a
text.  I give a practical exam based on plant identification which requires
that students know the roles of various plants in the environment (pioneer,
invasive, insectary, nitrogen fixer, edible, etc.), and they answer essay
questions on Permaculture design in a final exam.
         By teaching Permaculture design we are sharing a vision of
ecotopia.  This template can be recreated effectively at any number of
different centers of education. New synergies of information are being
forged daily.  Educational supervisors need to hear more requests for
proactive environmental education such as is provided by a Permaculture
curriculum.  Permaculture constitutes a paradigm shift.    It truly
represents a positive approach to our future.

David Robert White PhD   is a Permaculture Design Course Graduate in 1997 ,
the Environmental Coordinator at Happy Valley School in charge of
Permaculture Education and maintenance of the site ,have asked him for more
bio
artdetour at mac.com
PO Box 973, Ojai, CA 93024
(805) 646 9809