[Scpg] Occidental Arts & Ecology Center: 2002 Courses & Events

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Mon Feb 4 19:18:48 PST 2002

From: Occidental Arts and Ecology Center <oaec at oaec.org>
Subject: Occidental Arts & Ecology Center: 2002 Courses & Events

Our greetings and wishes of peace to you as we enter this New Year.  Here
at OAEC we are more dedicated than ever to educating and organizing for
positive social change and enhancement of the environment.  We hope the
following information on our 2002 program will be of interest to you and
that we may see you here during this year.

We have some very interesting and exciting new classes, retreats, and
programs for 2002.  You will be receiving our beautiful 2002 Catalogue
later this Spring.  In the meantime, this information is now available on
our website at: http://www.oaec.org.  Following is a summary listing of our
courses, retreats, and events for 2002.  We hope that you will find
something here of interest.

(If you are not sure if you are on our regular mailing list to receive our
catalogue, or if your address has changed recently, please e-mail us your
postal mailing address, and we will be sure you are on our list.)

TO REGISTER FOR A COURSE, RETREAT, OR EVENT
Please send a $100 deposit to OAEC at: 15290 Coleman Valley Road,
Occidental, CA 95465.

Note: Most OAEC multi-day courses offer a discount for 30-day advance
registration. This discount is offered on a sliding scale basis-you decide
where on the sliding scale to pay. Below, for example, the course fee is
stated as $1200 ($1100). $1200 is the standard fee. $1100 is the bottom end
of the sliding scale for those registered 30 days in advance. Most weekend
courses begin on Friday evening, unless otherwise noted.

Permaculture Design Course - February 9-22; Sept. 28-Oct. 11

In this two-week course in sustainable systems design, participants will
learn how to design systems for sustainable, regenerative living. Hands-on
topics include: permaculture principles, ponds, on-site water development,
erosion control, forest farming, organic gardening, mulching, composting,
plant guilds, pollination, alternative building, community economics, and
much more! Instructors: Penny Livingston, Brock Dolman, and
guests.  Residential, meals included. $1200 ($1100).

Starting & Sustaining Intentional Communities - March 1-3; August 5-9

Do you dream of establishing a land-based intentional community? This
course is designed to help you actualize that dream. Presentations and
exercises will cover such topics as how to find land and finance a
purchase; legal forms available for holding land; organizing as a
"for-profit" or a "non-profit," group decision making process; finding
like-minded people; financial organization; legal and insurance issues;
dealing with local zoning and regulations; and long-term planning. We'll
have extensive tours of the Sowing Circle community and OAEC's educational
center. Instructors: Dave Henson, Adam Wolpert, and Guests; Residential,
meals included.   March: $350 ($300); August: $600 ($525)

Sustaining Compassion Retreat - March 22-24; Nov. 1-3

Designed for activists, artists, educators and others, this retreat will
focus on how we can sustain a life-long commitment to working for positive
personal and social change. The weekend will feature garden and backcountry
walks, yoga and meditation sessions, wonderful organic vegetarian food, an
evening sauna and campfire, and discussions about sustaining "right action".
Facilitator: Dave Henson. Residential, meals included.  $350 ($300).

Water Management for Homeowners and Land Managers - March 23

This field workshop will examine low impact surface water management
techniques for roads, parking lots, and homes as they are applied on the
OAEC site focusing on water harvesting and stormwater management.  Basics
of uplands watershed hydrology, impervious surfaces mitigation, ground
water recharge, sediment control, bio-remediation, flood attenuation and
wildlife habitat creation will be discussed.   Instructor:  Brock Dolman.
Sliding Scale: $25-60, 10am-2pm.

An Inspirational Weekend With Satish Kumar - April 5-7

At eighteen Satish Kumar undertook an 8,000 mile peace pilgrimage, walking
from India to America without any money. In 1973, he settled in England,
where he has been editor of Resurgence magazine ever since. In 1991, he
founded Schumacher College, an international center for the study of
ecological and spiritual values. This retreat will include discussions on a
wide range of topics from alternative methods of education as practiced at
Schumacher College to globalism and activism. In addition, participants
will enjoy the Center's gardens and wildlands, hot tub and sauna, and feast
on homegrown organic food.   Facilitator: Adam Wolpert. Residential, meals
included. $350 ($300).

Introduction to Gourdcraft - April 21

Gourds have been grown by many cultures for millennia and used for musical
instruments, religious and ceremonial objects, and containers and
implements of all sorts. This workshop will introduce the world of gourds,
their history and culture, and how to best plant and grow them. We will
discuss the basics of gourdcraft: cleaning and treating surfaces; cutting;
dying and other methods of coloring; painting; woodburning; embellishment,
and ornamentation. Participants will pick out a gourd which was grown at
the Center and will try their hand toward creating their very own work of
gourd art.
Instructors:  Doug Gosling & John Rizzi.  $110 ($95), 9am-5pm, lunch included.

Spring Tonics - April 27

This class will focus on "tonics", those abundant, wonderful spring "weeds"
known to support, nourish, and tone our physiological systems. With the
tonic approach we move away from addressing our health only when there is a
problem or illness; we support and nourish ourselves in an ongoing way. We
will learn how to use local, available, and abundant plants to sustain our
health and wellness.    Instructor: Kalanete Baruch, $75. 10am-4pm.
Lunch  included.

Medicinal Plant Walk - May 11,  June 15

These tours will explore OAEC's gardens from the perspective of our
medicinal plant collection. The instructor, a midwife and OAEC staff
gardener, will cover plant identification, medicinal and garden uses, as
well as ways of incorporating medicinal plants into the garden scheme.
Instructor: Kalanete Baruch, $25-60, 10:30 am, 3 hours.

Organic Gardening Intensive - May 17-19, August 9-11

This comprehensive, hands-on introductory course will cover all aspects of
organic gardening in coastal northern California. Topics to be covered
include: garden design and planning, bio-intensive techniques, crop
selection, soil fertility enhancement, sheet mulching, composting,
vermiculture, greenhouse management, seed-saving, and harvesting and
cooking from the garden.  Instructor: Doug Gosling. Residential, meals
included. $350 ($300).

Introduction to Birding - May 19

Birdwatching Basics with Brock! A field tour of OAEC's gardens and
wildlands focusing on basic bird identification skills for beginning
birders. Attention will be given to fundamental aspects of behavior,
morphology, field marks, life history and habitat enhancements for species
encountered during the tour.  OAEC's ecological preserve provides habitat
for over 100 species of wild birds and we hope to observe several dozen
native species during this class. Bring binoculars, bird book, field
notebook and beginners mind. Be prepared for easy walking in the
field.  Instructor:  Brock Dolman. Sliding Scale: $25-60,  10am-1pm.

Cooking from the Garden - June 9, September 22

We'll begin the day by going out into OAEC's immensely diverse organic
gardens and harvesting a brilliant array of vegetables, edible flowers,
culinary herbs, and fruit. Then, in our large country kitchen we'll
transform the garden's bounty into a lunch and a dinner to be shared
family-style with the rest of the class. We will focus on salads, savory
dishes with unusual vegetables and herbs from around the world, and
seasonal fruit-based desserts. Throughout the day we'll learn gardening
tips and culinary information about the many crops we harvest and work
with. (Note: Please bring your own cooking knives.)
Instructor: Doug Gosling, 9am-5pm.  $150 ($135), lunch and dinner included.

Building In the Round - June 14-16

Learn the fundamentals of building with unmilled timbers.  The class will
begin with selection of timbers in the forest and continue with harvest and
preparation of the timbers.  We will then build a small timber frame
structure focusing on how to create strong joinery.  No building experience
is required, though be prepared for an informative, hands-on weekend.
Instructors: James Wilson and guests; $350 ($300), residential, meals
included. 9am Friday until 4pm Sunday.

Art in the Garden - July 12-14

Participants will have the opportunity to explore their creativity in the
garden environment experiencing the garden as a creative playspace and art
studio. We look at the work of inspiring artists who work in gardens and
learn practical skills including simple masonry tile making, brick laying,
creative mosaic tile setting, laying out planting beds and making borders.
In addition to hands-on creative work, practical information about growing
and training plants and other gardening tips will be discussed. Instructor:
Adam Wolpert. Residential, meals included. $350 ($300).

Women, the Garden, Herbs, and Healing - July 19-21

Exploring the unique relationship women have to growing food and herbal
medicine, this hands-on course will include elements of gardening, herbal
studies and horticultural therapy. For many the direct link between our
food and medicine has been lost. Rediscovering the connection with nature
through the simple act of growing our own food and medicine can be profound
and life changing.  Exploring the garden as a place of healing,
participants will have the opportunity, to discover for themselves the
wonders of this sacred space.  We will explore such topics as: identifying
and using wild tonic herbs, food as medicine, basic elements of organic
gardening, herbs for women, basic medicine making, and inner explorations
through facilitated meditations. Instructors Kalanete Baruch & guests.
Residential, meals included.10am Friday-4pm Sunday.  $350 ($300).

Watersheds-Basins of Relations: Starting and Sustaining
     Community Watershed Groups - July 26-29

This training is designed to promote and support the creation of Sonoma
County community-based watershed groups. Long-term ecologically and
economically viable human settlement depends on conscious community
awareness of appropriate behavior within each individual watershed. Topics
include: watershed processes; salmonid ecology; water quality monitoring;
in-stream bioengineering restoration; uplands erosion control; road
restoration; native habitat restoration; sustainable forestry; community
group process; and funding opportunities. This training is specifically
designed to recruit teams of 3-4 residents, each representing a local
watershed. Enrollment is limited and subject to an application process
intended to select committed teams. Call Brock Dolman at OAEC for
details.  Instructors: Brock Dolman & Many Guests. $100, residential, meals
included.

Tending the Inner Garden - July 28

This one-day workshop is an opportunity to spend some reflective, creative
time with OAEC's beautiful gardens and wildlands. Through guided
meditation, ceremony, storytelling, and spending time on the earth, we will
connect with the healing potential of the natural world, as well as our own
inner landscape. This promises to be a gentle yet powerfully nourishing day.
Instructor: Rachel Gardner.  $85 ($70), 10am-4pm, lunch included.

Sustainable Forestry - August 11

This workshop is for landowners, land managers or those interested in
sustainable forestry practices. Topics will include: scale appropriate
timber harvesting; non-timber forest products; stand thinning; fuel load
management; forest health; wildlife habitat enhancement; road and upland
erosion control strategies; relationship of forests to salmonid restoration
and overall watershed health; and the process of restoration forestry
property planning. This course will be an informative and stimulating
experience that will change the way you think about your forests and
challenge you to reevaluate your participation in their regenerative
restoration.     Instructors: Tim Metz &  Brock Dolman. $110 ($95),
9am-5pm, lunch included.

Carpentry for Women - August 16-18

While the presence of women working in the "trades" is ever more common,
avenues for women to learn the most basic principles and techniques of
carpentry are still scarce. We are offering this intensive three-day course
to enable women to conceptualize and carry out basic wood working projects.
Topics will include: essential tools and their proper use; safe and
effective use of power tools; basic techniques such as cutting, nailing,
squaring, and leveling; structural integrity; use of recycled wood; and
repairs. We will also tour the various buildings of OAEC to show different
styles of carpentry:  standard professional, natural building, temporary,
artistic, and hippie funk!   Instructors: Janine Bjornson, Jaylee Tuil,
James Wilson.
Residential, meals included. 9am Friday-5pm Sunday $350 ($300).

Seed Saving: From Seed to Seed - September 6-8

With the rapid loss of biodiversity that is taking place in agricultural
crops, it is critical to revive the knowledge and skills of seed saving
among farmers and gardeners. In this course in the Center's highly diverse
vegetable, flower and herb gardens, you will learn the lost art of seed
saving and better understand the complete cycle of gardening: from seed
idea to growth, transformation, and back to seed again. Topics include:
botany and pollination basics; seed saving particulars and maintaining
varietal purity; seed processing, cleaning and storage; seed saving
equipment; and cooking with seeds. Participants will receive an in-depth
tour of the OAEC gardens, learning the natural history and culinary
significance of the hundreds of heirloom varieties growing
here.    Instructor: Doug Gosling. Residential, meals included. $350 ($300).

Creative Inspiration in Nature - September 13-15

Come explore your own creativity in the inspiring natural setting of the
OAEC gardens and wildlands. This weekend workshop will take participants on
a journey into their creative selves. Through drawing, painting,
environmental sculpture, and guided contemplative practices, participants
will learn more about their own source of inspiration and how to nurture
and sustain themselves as artists. Come discover the bountiful wellspring
of creative inspiration which is nature.
Instructor: Adam Wolpert. Residential, meals included. $350 ($300).

Democratic Decision-Making - October 25-27

"Democracy" in a small group is achieved through respectful communication
and by using an efficient decision-making process that maximizes
participation by everyone involved. This weekend workshop will give you
practical tools to enjoy far more effective and participatory meetings in
your non-profit group, your business, or your community. Topics will
include Values and Goals; Democratic Organizational Structures; Consensus
and other forms of Decision Making Processes; Facilitation Skills; Planning
For and Running Effective Meetings; Conflict Resolution; and Crafting
Agreements. The session will be very interactive, and will be a lot of
fun!  Instructors: Dave Henson, Adam Wolpert. Residential, meals included.
$350 ($300).

Introduction to Permaculture - November 15-17

This introductory course is for those who want to begin integrating
permaculture into their lives. The fundamentals of permaculture design and
ethics will be explored through lectures, discussion, and hands-on
practice. We will actively engage basic concepts of pattern observation,
water catchment and infiltration, erosion control, forest farming,
polycultural food diversity, micro-climate analysis, natural building and
more. Instructor:Brock Dolman.Residential, meals included. $350 ($300).

EVENTS

INCA DINNER - Saturday, March 16
Join us on this early spring evening for our  annual "Lost Crops of the
Incas" benefit dinner. Come savor the exotic tastes of crops which
originated in the Andes and have been cultivated there for thousands of
years, only recently being introduced and appreciated in the U.S. and other
parts of the world. Among the crops we will highlight are potatoes, lima
beans, hot peppers, mashua, oca, yacón, and grains such as quinoa and
kiwicha. Tickets: $100-$500.

OAEC OPEN HOUSE - Sunday, October 13
Come join OAEC and the Sowing Circle family as we gather with old and new
friends to celebrate Fall and support the efforts of OAEC. This festive
informal afternoon under the oaks will feature light refreshments and
special tours. We hope you can take this opportunity to enjoy the autumn
beauty and support the Center with whatever contribution is right for
you.   Tickets: $25-100.  12 noon-5 pm.

PLANT SALES
Plant sales hours are 9am-5pm on the scheduled days.  Admission is
free.  The OAEC garden staff will be on hand to tell you about our diverse
selections and offer a tour of our gardens, where many of these plants are
featured. There will be tours during the plant sale (please check after
January 1 for times), for which a $6 donation is requested.

Spring Biodiversity Plant Sale I   Saturday, April 13-Sunday, April 14
Spring Biodiversity Plant Sale II  Saturday, May 4-Sunday, May 5

It's that time to plant vegetables and flowers for your spring and summer
garden! We'll be selling California Certified Organic vegetable, flower,
and herb seedlings, including hundreds of open-pollinated, heirloom and
rare tomatoes, lettuces, basils, gourds, and squashes from all over the
world. Most varieties are started from our own seed collection, and all
have been trialed, tasted and savored for years in our demonstration
gardens and kitchen. We'll feature many traditional food crops of the Andes
such as yacón, kiwicha, mashua, oca, pepino, quinoa and cape gooseberry.

Fall & Winter Garden Plant Sale - Saturday, August 24-Sunday, August 25

One of the great underappreciated joys of living in Northern California is
that we can garden all year round and create fall and winter gardens that
are diverse, interesting, productive, beautiful and tasty. Now is the time
to put fall and winter seedlings into the ground while the soil is still
warm! Come and choose from hundreds of varieties of California Certified
Organic heirloom vegetables and herbs, as well as old-fashioned sweet peas
and other annual flowers. Select from an impressive array of ornamental and
edible perennials propagated from our own collections.

TOURS

If you are thinking about taking a course at the Center or want to learn
more about our gardens, projects. and the Sowing Circle intentional
community, our tours are a great way to visit the site. Guided tours are on
Saturdays and Sundays at 10am unless otherwise noted and last approximately
1 1/2 hours.  A donation of $10 per person is requested. Please RSVP by
phone and give yourself plenty of time to get to our site. OAEC is at least
a one and a half hour drive from San Francisco and the East Bay. Tours
start on time! No dogs please.

o March 10, 24    10 am
o April 13 & 14   10 and 11 am
o May 4 & 5       10 and 11 am
o May 25          10 am
o June 9, 29      10 am
o July 14, 27     10 am
o August 24 & 25  10 and 11 am
o September 8     10 am (Special "Green Building" tour)
o September 15    1 pm
o October 5, 27   10 am