[Scpg] Re: The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming

scpg-admin at arashi.com scpg-admin at arashi.com
Wed Mar 27 19:26:43 PST 2002

ducks are not neccessarily, in my experience, quieter than
chickens.  Quieter that Roosters!, yes, but can be just as
or noiser than chickens.  Quail, on the other hand, are
some real qiet birds if that's a large concern...and the
coo they emit is soft and pleasant...not to big on the egg
department though.

--- scpg-admin at arashi.com wrote:

> Very cool ideas,
>
> I've read that neither rice nor ducks need a flooded
> field, or pond.  I've
> not grown rice, but read that you can grow it like corn
> with drip
> tape.  For this region, that may make more sense.  Ducks
> have a lot going
> for them:  quieter than chickens, eat more insects and
> fewer plants, eggs
> and the animals are more valuable in the marketplace,
> ducks don't scratch
> the soil like chickens.
>
> Anyone have thoughts/experience?
>
> Fred

=====
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

                            -Andre Gide