[Scpg] Permaculture Workshop May 3-5 Camp Stevens Julian naer Escondido CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Apr 28 22:48:39 PDT 2002

May 3-5 Permaculture Workshop  Cost $85
friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon
With Bill Roley, Ryan Casey
Camp Steven PO Box 2320  Julina, Ca 92036
760-765-0028

Dr. Bill Roley of the Permaculture Institute of
Southern California in Laguna Beach will lead a weekend workshop teaching
the fundamentals of permaculture design and regenerative strategies of
gardening for a sustainable future.

Location is Camp Stevens near Escondido CA

. The Camp has a full service conference facility and is in an alpine
mountain ecology with a desert community within 15
minutes, a chapparal environment at the bottom of the mountain 15 minutes
away and the farming of Escondido 20 minutes away and the coastal ecozne
within a 1/2 hour. JAMES HUBBELL can give us a house tour too. He is
wonderful

Workshop Includes

Bill
will help form a plan for the Camp Stevens’ garden and its surrounding
ecosystem by taking a watershed perspective using geography, geology,
climate, flora and fauna as the design elements, and also teach you how
to transform your own garden.Our theme will be to integrate our
lifestyles and programs into the surrounding environment in more
productive and sustainable ways.
We will all be inventing and refining patterns for the future stewardship of
Camp Stevens and beyond.Bill will explain the basic principles of permaculture
(permanent agriculture) around the five elements of Community Design:
Food, Waste, Water, Energy, and Shelter. By weaving these five elements
together in a conscious design we combine science, lifestyle and ethics
into the perpetual cycles of life, death and rebirth. Permaculture design
is a system of assembling all the important components of our habitat in
a pattern which will benefit not only humans, but all the animals and
plants in the area. It is using the insights of our grandparents rather
than robbing the resources of our children by understanding that we are
on the cutting edge of a 10,000 year old technology.

Following
Bill’s presentations, we will use Camp Stevens’ garden as a model for
learning permaculture design, and then spend some time actually working
to begin to transform the garden toward greater stability and
productivity. You will gain the knowledge and experience to begin to
similarly transform your own garden at home as well as discover some new
perspective on the other systems that support your household and
communities. The cost is $85.00 per person

Contact

  Pc Institute of Southern Cal

Dr Bill Roley

1027 Summit Way

Laguna Beach Ca 92651.  DrRoley at aol.com 949-494-5843

--------------------

Permaculture Gardening and Design Weekend at Camp Stevens

"Nothing Happens in Living Nature that is not related to the Whole"

I. History and Philosophy

II. Before You Start

A. What do you want to eat ?
B. Identify your growing seasons with high and low temperatures
C. Sectors ­ sun and shade angles, maximize winter sun - summer shade
D. Zonation activity and work flows from house center

III. Bed Preparation

A. Above and below the soil
B. Garden layout and Size and Shape of beds
C. Paths
D. Balancing the ecosystem and insect life
E. Soil Texture ­ soil is more than dirt

IV. Fertilization

A. Nitrogen
B. Phosphorus
C. Potash
D. Ph (6.5 or slightly acid is optimum)
E. Soil testing

V. Compost
A. Decomposers in a pile mimic a cross section of the forest floor
B. Growing compost crops, vetch, fava, wheat, rye

VI. Seed Propagation
A. Choosing seed varieties
Succession Planting