[Scpg] Come Student Experimental Farm at Cal Poly SLO in August!

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Aug 2 10:47:46 PDT 2002

Please join us for two social/educational/work events at the Student
Experimental Farm at Cal Poly this month!

2 Saturday mornings: AUGUST 10 and 17.

Both events will run from 9 a.m. until approximately 12 noon.  Light
refreshments will be served in the morning.  Talks on the educational topics
will go from approximatley 9:15-10:00.  Then, people are free to help with
designated work projects, share conversation with others attending and/or
tour
the Farm and taste samples of this year's abundant harvest.

Saturday, 8/10:  Learn about habitat restoration using NATIVE PLANTS!
Lanscaper/Ecological Designer/Native Plant Enthusiast Josh Carmichael will
join
us to share his knowledge on landscaping with native plants.  Josh runs a
small
native nursery operation and has had years of experience on local habitat
restoration projects.  Bring your questions for him!  Work events that day
will
include work on our perennial/tree windbreak Josh helped plant.

Saturday, 8/17:  Learn how to harness the power of our microbial allies
through
COMPOSTING.  Terry Hooker (former Student Farm Manager) and Hunter Francis
will
lead this informative workshop on all aspects of home composting.  We will
demonstrate how to construct an aerobic compost pile for kitchen and garden
trimmings and introduce participants to our vermicomposting worms, part of an
ideal composting system for home recycling.  Weeding/clean-up activities
after
the workshop should generate plenty of fodder for a second pile!

All are welcome to the workshops and there is no charge for the events.
Donations are welcome.  Bring a friend!

Hope to see you there!  Hunter

DIRECTIONS:  Take the Highland entrance into Cal Poly from Route 1.  At your
first stop sign, turn left onto Mount Bishop Road.   After about 1/4 mile,
the
road veres to the left.  Bare RIGHT onto the dirt road to the right of the
small
Vet clinic.  Go about 1/2 mile (past the Rodeo Unit) straight up to the top
of
the hill.  The Student Farm is on the right, across from the Compost Unit.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous