[Scpg] Schumacker College England Design for Life: Permaculture, Biomimicry and Sustainable Living March 9-28, 2003

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jan 8 06:02:28 PST 2003

Hello there,

Thanks for contacting us.

I am enclosing details of the course Design for Life below. Our website
address is www.schumachercollege.org

With best wishes

Sebastian Kelly
Schumacker College England
Morag Gamble who is coming to do the Ecovillage Workshop Jan 18 & 19 is
also teaching in a course at Schumacker College below

MAX LINDEGGER, MORAG GAMBLE & JANINE BENYUS
Design for Life:  Permaculture, Biomimicry and Sustainable Living

March 9-28,  2003
Course fee:  £1500

COURSE CONTENT

Weeks 1 & 2 ­ Max Lindegger & Morag Gamble      Ecodesign, Ecovillages and
Local Food
Systems

Sustainability is now a mainstream issue, but there is still a vital need
for real change and positive
action.  The question is 'how'?  How do we develop systems that nurture
sustainable communities and
sustain life?  A radical shift is required in our approach to the design of
human settlements and food
systems.  How we connect with the world around us and form relationships is
significantly influenced
by the places in which we live. Settlements are far more than a collection
of buildings. They affect
our choices and decisions, consumption patterns, environmental impact,
well-being, security and
sense of identity and belonging.

These two weeks will focus on ecologically sustainable design principles,
practices and management
and explore ecodesign in a participatory and holistic way.  Ecodesign draws
on all fields of
knowledge and from traditional wisdom to create new patterns for sustainable
human systems that
support the connection with soil, soul and society.  This course offers
practical solutions to address
underlying and interconnected problems faced in both rural and urban
communities, in the North and
South. Real solutions already exist and this course aims to explore the
possibilities. Also, through
deepening our collective understanding of ecological systems, it is possible
to facilitate the
emergence of new approaches to sustainable settlement design that provide a
platform for new
directions and positive change at all levels that engage and mobilise
community participation.

We are all designers of the environments in which we live.  The direct
experience gained through
field work and collaborative projects, supported by theory, dialogue, global
case studies, field
excursions and good food, will enable participants to apply ecodesign
principles in their own homes,
communities and workplaces.  There will also be time to awaken the senses,
reconnect with the
natural world, and experience the process of inclusive and intuitive design.

Week 3 ­ Janine Benyus      Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature

Imagine solving a design challenge by asking yourself: What organism or
ecosystem has grappled
with, and solved, this very same problem? Want a life-friendly adhesive?
Consult the barnacle's time-
honored recipe. A solar-powered desalination device? Study the blueprint of
a mangrove's root
membrane. A less toxic way to manufacture fibers? Ask the spider how her web
is woven. An
agriculture that enhances rather than depletes soil fertility? Ask the
prairie. This final week of the
course will give participants the opportunity to understand and try out
Biomimicry, the conscious
emulation of life's genius.

Biomimicry is a design discipline that seeks sustainable solutions by
studying and then emulating
nature's time-tested strategies. Biomimics around the world are consciously
asking "What would
nature do here?" to help them find products, processes, and policies—new
ways of living—that are
well-adapted to life on earth over the long haul. The resulting designs are
beautiful, functional, and,
not surprisingly, sustainable as well. Their models are organisms that
manufacture without "heat,
beat, and treat" methods, and ecosystems that run on sunlight and feedback,
creating opportunities
rather than waste.

Besides helping our species earn a longer stay on the planet, biomimicry has
the potential to change
the way we view and value non-human nature.  It encourages us to view nature
not as a source of
goods, but as a mentor, a source of wisdom. In this week, participants will
have a chance to explore
deep patterns of biological design, review the latest biomimetic research,
and apply this method of
inquiry to their own design challenges. Through dialogue and actual
problem-solving exercises, we
will imagine how biomimicry could transform the way we move, power, house,
teach, and heal
ourselves and the Earth.  Janine will describe what's new in the field, and
(with the help of a satchel
of natural teachers) engage participants in a discussion of what's possible.

ABOUT THE TEACHERS

Max Lindegger, a mechanical and civil engineering designer by training and a
qualified
permaculture designer since 1981, has worked on the design and/or
implementation of over
750 ecological properties, including the UN Habitat Award winning Crystal
Waters
Permaculture Village.  Max works as a consultant for the development of
ecological town
subdivisions and villages throughout the world.  He is a founding Director
of the Global
Ecovillage Network (GEN) and the Regional Co-ordinator of the Oceania/Asia
Secretariat
(GENOA Inc). He teaches courses on ecological sustainability, ecovillage
design and
Permaculture, and has provided his expertise in over 35 countries including
eco-design
courses in 24 countries.  He is author/co-author of The Best of
Permaculture, Permaculture: An
Alternative Agricultural System, Conceptual Permaculture Report for Crystal
Waters, Owners
Manual for Crystal Waters and various articles in magazines, newspapers and
journals.

Morag Gamble is Director of an innovative environmental design and education
organisation,
Sustainable Futures.  She has over a decade of combined practical and
professional experience in a
dozen countrie and works actively to help raise awareness about,
understanding of and commitment
to sustainability - ecological, agricultural, social, cultural and economic.
She works with
communities, women, children, farmers, educators, NGO's, local governments,
professionals and
individuals. She teaches from the field to the university lecture halls. Her
aim is to assist individuals
and communities to develop appropriate strategies, skills and tools to work
effectively towards
ecological sustainability and positive change.  Morag's focus recently has
been in the Asian- pacific
region where she is leading a team in the development an ecoliteracy
curriculum that complements
the National curriculum (aimed at upper primary school children).  She leads
courses in sustainable
village design and community development, sustainable land management and
permaculture.  She
has piloted seed-saving programs, sustainability demonstration sites,
permaculture schools, local
food networks and has been central in the establishment of a pilot
sustainable village development
program in the west of Bali.

Janine Benyus is a life sciences writer and author of six books, including
her latest--Biomimicry:
Innovation Inspired By Nature.  In Biomimicry, she names an emerging science
that seeks
sustainable solutions by mimicking nature's designs and processes (e.g.,
solar cells that mimic
leaves, agriculture that looks like a prairie, business that runs like a
redwood forest).  Janine's other
titles include an animal behavior guide entitled Beastly Behaviors and three
ecosystem-first field
guides: The Field Guide to Wildlife Habitats of the Western US, The Field
Guide to Wildlife
Habitats of the Eastern US, and Northwoods Wildlife: A Watcher's Guide to
Habitats.  She
ghostwrote The Bodywise Woman: Reliable Information about Physical Activity
and Health for the
Melpomene Institute for Women's Health Research.  Janine graduated from
Rutgers University, New
Jersey, with degrees in Natural Resource Management and English
Literature/Writing.  She has
worked as a backcountry guide as well as a "translator" of science-speak at
several research labs.
She now writes popular books in the life sciences, consults with sustainable
business and government
leaders, serves on the Dream Team at Interface, Inc., and gives talks about
what we can learn from
the genius that surrounds us.  Janine's next book will explore home as
habitat, taking a biological
look at human habitat selection, nest building, and "What makes us feel at
home?"  Her natural
habitat is Montana's Bitterroot Valley, where she's passionate about
protecting wildlands and
promoting smart growth (that is, when she's not sculling, backpacking, or
skate skiing).

ACCREDITATION

This course is expected to be approved for accreditation by the University
of Plymouth.  Those with
appropriate prior qualifications who wish to register for credits may, if
they complete the course
successfully, achieve 10 Masters Level Credits which are internationally
transferable under the Credit
Accumulation and Transfer Scheme.  (Currency at Masters Level: 10 UK Credits
= 3 US Credits = 5
European Credits)  Course aims and objectives will be sent out with the
joining packs to all those
registering for this course. If you require the aims and objectives in
advance, please let us know and
we will forward a copy.

The assessment process can be fairly flexible.  Candidates will need to 1)
submit a summary of what
they have learnt on the course; 2) submit a report or produce another piece
of work that reflects on
how the course content applies to an issue of their choice (such projects
have included pieces of
sculpture and the production of games and plays); and 3) attend an interview
at the end of the course
with the College tutor and University moderator.  The credits will be
granted by the University of
Plymouth and certificates will be issued at a later date.  There will be an
additional fee of about £120
for those taking Credits to cover the associated costs.  Further details
will be provided at the start of
the course.

SCHUMACHER COLLEGE
COURSE APPLICATION FORM

Please print out this application form, fill it in and return to: The
Administrator, Schumacher College, The Old Postern, Dartington, Totnes,
Devon TQ9 6EA, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1803 865934 Fax: +44 (0)1803 866899 Email:
schumcoll at gn.apc.org (Please note that we cannot accept applications by
email.) Web: http://www.gn.apc.org/schumachercollege/

This application form is also available on the website.

Please fill in a separate application form for each course you wish to
attend, and continue any of your answers on a separate sheet if necessary.
It would be helpful if you could use a pen or typeface that we can easily
distinguish from the rest of the text:

Title of course:

Your first  name:
Last name: