[Scpg] Wed Feb 19 free talk on Worms, Vermicomposting!Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Feb 4 17:08:09 PST 2003

SANTA BARBARA ORGANIC GARDEN CLUB NEWSLETTER
February 2003
Editor: Linda Buzzell-Saltzman -- lbuzzell at aol.com

Contents:
1) This month's free talk: Michael Thompson returns with more WONDERFUL,
WIGGLY
WORMS! THE JOYS OF VERMICOMPOSTING.  Wed, Feb 19th, 7pm.
2)  Next month: Wed, March 19: Barbara Spencer of Windrose Farms on HOT
TOMATOES! HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN DELICIOUS ORGANIC TOMATOES. Wed, March 19th,
7pm.
3)  DON'T THROW AWAY FREE FOOD! By Larry Saltzman
4)  GET ON OUR LIST OF ORGANIC LANDSCAPE DESIGNERS

(*If you'd like to be removed from our e-newsletter list, just e-mail us back
with your request.)

1) February: WONDERFUL, WIGGLY WORMS! THE JOYS OF VERMICOMPOSTING. Our popular
speaker is Michael Thompson, who has 40 years experience as an Organic
Gardener
and "Worm Herder."  Dr. Thompson holds a BA in Zoology from UCSB plus BS and
DDS from UCSF.  He'll talk about how worms can compost ALL KITCHEN WASTES
(INCLUDING PIZZA!), describe the various types of worms and teach us how to
make or get vermicomposting bins.
Date/Time: Wed, Feb 19, 7pm
Location: Community Environmental Council Gildea Center, 930 Miramonte Drive,
Santa Barbara
Directions: from downtown Santa Barbara take Carrillo up the hill towards the
Mesa, At the top of the hill turn left onto Miramonte Dr. Continue for approx.
1/2 mile and watch for the sign for the Gildea Center on the left. Park on
Miramonte and walk down the short driveway to the Center.
Fee: FREE
Call for info: (805) 563-2089
Reservations: not necessary

2) March: HOT TOMATOES! HOW TO GROW YOUR OWN DELICIOUS ORGANIC TOMATOES with
Windrose Farms' Barbara Spencer. Wednesday, March 19 at 7 p.m. at the
Community
Environmental Council Gildea Center at 930 Miramonte Drive in Santa Barbara.

Back by popular demand, our featured speaker will be well-known Santa Barbara
Farmers Market organic tomato farmer Barbara Spencer of Windrose Farm in Paso
Robles. She will discuss practical, hands-on organic techniques for growing
the
tastiest modern and heirloom tomato varieties. Larry Saltzman, co-founder of
the Santa Barbara Organic Garden Club will moderate. For more information
call:
(805) 563-2089.

3) DON'T THROW AWAY FREE FOOD!

By Larry Saltzman

Many of us throw out food every day.  We discard edible portions of vegetables
because we didn't know they were edible.  Did you know that radish tops are an
excellent mild flavored green? They can be used raw in salads or cooked like
other greens.  Did you know that the stalks of broccoli are edible and have a
milder flavor than the tops?  Just peel back the tough skin and eat the tender
and sweet inside.  Broccoli stems are great raw or cooked. Use them like
carrot
sticks with dips, or cook them in soups and stews.  The list goes on and on.
Beet tops are similar to Swiss chard and often better flavored. Many root
crops
like parsnips and carrots have tops that are also edible. And cilantro, which
is harvested for the green part, has an edible root which is valued in Thai
cuisine, teas etc. We've even been adding the leaves from our pea plants to
our
salads, which apparently the Chinese do too.

4) ARE YOU AN ORGANIC LANDSCAPER?  We're getting quite a few requests for
referrals to folks who will design and build organic gardens.  Our list is
growing as new organic landscape architects, designers and gardeners ask to be
listed.  If you'd like to be on the list, please send us a brief paragraph
about what you do and how you'd like clients to contact you. And of course we
recommend certified "Green Gardeners" (www.greengardener.org) for ongoing
maintenance.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous