[Scpg] [permaculture] HOPES conference in Eugene OR

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Mar 20 22:03:26 PST 2003

The Ecological Design Center Presents
The 9th Annual H.olisitc O.ptions P.lanet E.arth S.ustainability Conference
"ECOLOGICAL URBANISM"
APRIL 10, 11, 12 & 13, 2003
Lawrence Hall, University of Oregon Campus, Eugene, Oregon

Free to UO Students!

The Ecological Design Center is an interdisciplinary organization
committed to the development and promotion of work that strives to
create environmentally responsible communities and places. In Spring
we host the Eco Design Arts Conference at the University of Oregon's
School of Architecture and Allied Arts. It is an opportunity for
participants to network, collaborate, and share ideas about the
relationship between design and ecology. Events include keynote
lectures, workshops, panel discussions, a design competition, design
charrette and more.
Most people in industrialized countries live in urban or suburban
areas. However, much of the demonstrations in ecological living, to
date, have focused on relatively remote, rural, and off-grid
projects. How do we  move ecological design from remote and often
fringe experimentation to becoming the mainstream way we design our
urban environment?  How do we make our cities bloom?

Featured Presenters at H.O.P.E.S. 2003:

Stuart Cowan of Sustainable Systems Design & co-author of "Ecological
Design"
Kathryn McCamant, architect & author of "Cohousing"
Lois Arkin of the Los Angeles Eco Village Project & editor of
"Sustainable Cities"
Mark Lakeman of Portland City Repair
Richard Register of Eco-City Builders, Berkeley & author of "Ecocity
Berkeley"
Jim Leach of Wonderland Hill Development Company

   We will have live music, open space networking, the "Visions of
Utopia" film, and an Eco-Efficient Business workshop. In addition, we
will host a 24-hour design charrette exploring the development of an
ecologically sound plan for the university's East Campus residential
neighborhood, will offer over 20 panels and workshops on various
aspects of green design, and will include several community-building
experiences.  A Kids' H.O.P.E.S. program for children ages 6 and up
will run concurrently so families can enjoy the conference together.

You can visit our website at http://edc.uoregon.edu or call us at
(541) 346-3696 for more information and a complete schedule of events.

buildings - landscape - technology - transportation - planning & policy

The Ecological Design Center
541-346-3696
edc at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Visit our website at http://edc.uoregon.edu