[Scpg] Biodiesel may be the problem

m r h imario_ at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 13:45:50 PDT 2003

  Hi, My name's Mario.  I have a background in the libertarian labor
movement, cooperative housing, and the industrial implosion fantasy club.
As opposed to sudden "industrial collapse", implosion could take place over
hundreds of years due to birth rates well below replacement level , resource
scarcity, or a combination of both and others I haven't mentioned, and could
entail a much softer landing for us humans caught up in places like Los
Angeles...  So as you can imagine I've been most interested in the alarm
bells being rung by former geologists that have worked for Exxon, Shell, BP
and all the other major ecocidal criminals.  I'm sure you've read that they
are saying that peak oil production could happen in this decade due to the
fact that new giant fields just aren't being found, especially not at the
rate we are using the existing ones.  With increasing demand and a forever
decreasing supply, oil prices would skyrocket throwing us into perpetual
recession (Gross Domestic Product contraction), a reworking of the global
corporate system to one of local production for local consumption, less
overall material consumption, etcetera.  In that framework nature could
begin to heal itself from this terrible disease we now know as capitalism.

  However my hopes were put off last week when I read about biodiesel. Not
only is it a renewable resource that can provide the fuel that keeps this
machine running, but it is economical. In one report I read that the net
energy gain is about 1 for 3.  It takes about 1 gallon of veggie oil to fuel
the tractor, the processing of the soy, the transportation to market,
etcetera to gain 3 gallons of veggie "biodiesel" . My immediate thought was
"Great! (sigh) Once gasoline hits 3 or 4 dollars a gallon, biodiesel will be
very competitively priced in the market.  All land that has not been spared
the wrath of the plow will be converted to growing soy for food and car
fuel: more environmental destruction with less smog."  However I just read
that if all the soy that is currently grown in the US per year (a lot) was
redirected from food to biodiesel production America would have enough of it
to replace its oil consumption for about 2 days.

-Mario
Failing Auto-Warranty Telemarketer
http://dieoff.org  "In short, the end of oil signals the end of
civilization, as we know it. "