[Scpg] industrial implosion math questions

m r h imario_ at hotmail.com
Sat May 24 14:28:26 PDT 2003

   Fred et al, I want to apologize for the "2 day estimate" I gave in my
last email. The author I quoted quotes someone from "Ag Processing Inc." as
saying  " that current soybean production, the most likely candidate for
large-scale biodiesel production, could produce only 130 million gallons of
biodiesel per year."
Source:
http://www.flagteaparty.org/Publications/Headlines/Pages/2002/Jan_Feb2002/Pipedreamsandoilschemes.html

In the original letter I was confusing world consumption with US
consumption, which isn't terribly far a part, I might ad.  I've read that
the world currently uses 67 million BARRELS of oil a day.  The US uses about
a quarter of that total, right? There are 42 gallons of oil in a standard
barrel.

So, 130 million gallons/42 gallons per barrel=~3 million barrels a year. And
if we use a quarter of the current 67 million barrels consumed each day in
this world , then 3 million isn't even enough for one day. So we'll have to
find some more good biodiesel ingredients besides soy.

Here's another math question:

        "On the heels of Senate Finance Committee markup of a suite of
ethanol, biodiesel, and biomass energy tax credits, the House En­ ergy and
Com­ merce Committee OK’d a nationwide renewable fuel standard (RFS) that
would boost ethanol-biodiesel use to five billion gallons per year by 2015.
"
source: http://www.ilfb.org/viewdocument.asp?did=5630&r=0.6134149

5billion gallons/42 gallons per barrel=~120 million barrels a year.  If we
in the US  currently use 16 million barrels a day that should provide us
with less than 8 days worth of "green fuel" in 2015, provided our economy
doesn't grow in the next 12 years, and their projections are realistic.

Oil Standardization link:
http://www.oilhistory.com/pages/Barrels/standardization.html

Some more fun facts from the US Geological Survey:
http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of00-320/of00-320.pdf

-Mario