[Scpg] Giving Peace a Chance ...the Creation of an Israel/Palestine Peace Villag

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri May 30 08:07:49 PDT 2003

Giving Peace a Chance ...
the Creation of an Israel/Palestine Peace Village
www.lacaravana.org/condor/index_eng.html

Ecovillage activists have both the joys and the burdens of living between
and helping to bridge two worlds. Trends of the dominant culture, though
evolving, are still driven primarily by consumerism, ecological
degradation, competition, power and resource struggles, social inequities,
spiritual clashes, and the perpetuation of all of these. Ecovillagers hold
a vision of a world characterized by ecological stewardship, cooperation,
justice, equity, peace and unity through diversity. This world is coming
into being one person, one family, one neighborhood, one community at a
time - created by those dedicated to practicing and cherishing sustainable
environmental, social and spiritual values.

Most of you reading this probably appreciate the general benefits - actual
and potential - that ecovillage living can offer. These are expressed in
different ways in various settings, and perhaps the potential may be
greatest where there are the greatest needs and challenges. People and
places deeply affected by the direst and most violent outcomes of the
predominant culture, and who strive to create a different reality provide a
dramatic and moving model, and an inspiration to strive for what is possible.

Spreading the stories, learnings, trials and tribulations, efforts and
aspirations of very diverse ecovillage projects, to strengthen them and
give momentum to the ecovillage movement worldwide, is what the Ecovillage
Networks are about. In that spirit and service, this article comes to you
by way of an ecovillage in Portugal - Tamera, which champions the
cultivation of Peace as a core mission and goal. Tamera, keeps the
Ecovillage Network of the Americas (ENA) posted on their activities, events
and projects. This story is about one project for which Tamera has been
instrumental, that of an Israel/Palestine Peace Village. Israelis,
Palestinians and a host of international supporters, calling themselves the
Motivation Circle, are planning the creation of a sustainable peace village
in the Middle East. Their endeavors in the face of age old traditions of
conflict and war are uplifting and worthy of our awareness, prayer and support.

First, What is Tamera?

Tamera is a project dedicated to "creating a future worth living". Situated
on 331 acres, 30 km inland from the western coast of southern Portugal,
this project sees itself as a base for global peace work. The Institute for
Global Peacework was founded in Tamera as a coordinating body for peace
related issues, and for researching new ways of healing humans and nature.
Tamera aims to develop a cultural model of a non-violent lifestyle for a
couple of hundred people and the implementation of a "healing biotope".
They define the healing biotope as an intentional community of people,
animals and plants, where they live together, enhancing each others life
energy, unhampered by fear or violence. They aim for significant
self-sufficiency in the areas of nutrition, water, energy and medicine. But
their core work is in theoretical and social development toward the
implementation of a non-violent culture on this planet.

Tamera hosted an International Peacecamp: "Peace for Israel and Palestine"
from August 19th to September 6th, 2002. It was a promising convergence in
many ways, including progress on the initiative for a Peacevillage in
Israel/Palestine. Tamera, in its commitment to strengthen and support this
initiative, subsequently co-organized a follow-up gathering and Benefit
Peace Concert in Neve Shalom / Wahat Al-Salam, in December, 2002.

Tamera will continue its support of the Israel/Palestine Peace Village, and
is planning another Peacecamp in Portugal in the Summer of 2003.
For more about Tamera, its efforts and events, contact:

Tamera,
Monte do Cerro,
P-7630 Colos, Portugal

00351-283-6353-06 (Tel.)
00351-283-6353-74 (Fax)
eMail: tamera at mail.telepac.pt
Web: http://www.tamera.org/english/

With Tamera's help and nurturance at the Peace Village Camp, the core group
of the Israel/Palestine Peace Village, coalesced a steering committee, for
village planning. A broader group of members and supporters process the
issues and obstacles associated with implementing their vision. This group,
called the Motivation Circle, founded by Moshe Berger, is planning and
building their community from the inside out.

The Motivation Circle - What is it All About?

What follows is excepted from materials of The Motivation Circle. It is
information that they deem as essential for understanding their project and
endeavors.

"We don't want to convince anyone"

"For designing the multi cultural cooperative village, for financing it and
for actually founding it, we need the support and the involvement of many
people. But still, we have no intention of trying to convince anyone to
join us.

We assume that there are already many Palestinians and Israelis that would
like to support and be involved in a project like ours. It is encouraging
to know that these people exist, but of course, they will not join us if
they don't hear about our project. Therefore, one of our main goals is to
find these people, and the only way to do it is to expose as many people as
possible to the fact that our project exists.

Indifference

The human being is a rather indifferent creature. There are old people who
don't care about single parent mothers. There are single parent mothers who
don't care about refugees. There are refugees who don't care about old people.

Many people are indifferent to the fate of many other people and creatures.
But this is not all. There are people who don't care about their partners
and about their own kids. There are people that are even indifferent to
themselves - daily, consciously and intentionally, they harm their own
physical and mental health.

It's a vicious circle. The indifference of society creates the indifference
of the individual and the indifference of the individuals creates the
indifference of society.

Indifference is not an unavoidable derivative of human nature, but we are
in a trap. We created a social reality in which we can't survive without
being indifferent. We can't preserve our sanity without being indifferent.
The world is full of tragedies and horrors. And we all share, in many
different ways, the responsibility for the existence of these tragedies and
horrors."

"Fans and sympathizers"

"In each project there are policy makers, active players and financial
supporters. But each project also needs fans. Try to imagine a professional
football team without fans - it would not exist. What reporter would want
to cover their games? What businessman would want to finance them? What
player would want to play for them?

It is obvious that the fans are important, but what exactly is their
contribution? Of course, they have a financial function, but this is not
their main function. Their main function is to encourage and this is what
makes the fans so important. And whom exactly do they encourage? - they
encourage everyone. They encourage the businessmen to finance, the
reporters to cover, the players to play and they even encourage themselves
to encourage.

Encouragement is a psychological need that arises in our early childhood
and it accompanies us to our last day. Encouragement affects our behavior -
it causes us to try harder and even to do things that we wouldn't have done
otherwise. We need encouragement. You need it. Everybody needs it.

It must be stressed that a quiet and passive fan (or sympathizer) is no fan
at all. The overall contribution of 1,000 quiet and passive fans to the
team they like and identify with would equal nothing at all.

The two levels of effect

We affect the world on two levels:
1. The material level - we affect the world directly with our own deeds.
2. The motivational level - we affect the world indirectly, via our
influence on the motivation of other people. Whatever we say or refrain
from saying, whatever we do or refrain from doing influences the behavior
of other people.

People are aware of their effect on the world at the material level. But
their awareness of their indirect effect via the motivational level is very
low. ... An additional difference between the material and the motivational
levels concerns the aspect of alternatives. At the material level you have
THREE alternatives: you can contribute, damage or be neutral. But at the
motivational level, you have only TWO alternatives: you either contribute
(encourage) or damage (be indifferent) - you just can't be neutral. Being
indifferent is not being neutral! "

"The two tragic gaps"

"One gap is between what people believe in or would like to do and what
they actually do. The other gap is between what people identify with and
what they actually support. In these two gaps lies much of the tragedy of
human existence. Much of the evil that prevailed in the history of the
mankind prevailed due to these two gaps. Much of the goodness that did not
manifest itself in history was suppressed by these two gaps.

So, finding the people we are looking for is not enough. We also have to
encourage them. We have to help them to overcome the two tragic gaps.
Without our encouragement they will not have enough motivation. This is why
we named our organization 'The Motivation Circle'. This is what the whole
motivation circle is about: ENCOURAGEMENT!

It must be stressed that encouraging does not equal convincing. We do not
intend to change the opinions and attitudes of anyone. We only want to
motivate people to follow their dreams, to do what they believe should be
done, to support those initiatives they identify with - these are the
things for which people need encouragement."

"Can we fail? - No we can't!

Most people believe that the foundation of a village like we have in mind
is an unrealistic goal. 'We will not find the people. We will not find the
money. We will not find land. We will not overcome all the obstacles that
we will face. And if against all odds we found the village then we will
fail afterwards. We will not overcome the cultural differences. We will not
be able to reach consensus. Evil and lazy people will join the village just
for the fun of destroying it. The alternative we suggest is not compatible
with human nature - there is no way it can succeed.'

Well, the question is not: 'Will our village succeed?'. The question is:
'Can we fail?' and the answer is: 'No we can't!'
... This is because our success lies within the fact that we try. The mere
attempt is our success.

We have an ideological project in which Palestinians, Israelis, Germans and
people from many other nations participate. We work together for a
beautiful dream. Doing something like this, in our era, is very unusual.
... The mere attempt to found a multicultural cooperative village will have
a positive effect. And the more members and sympathizers we have, the
stronger will be our positive effect.

Our initiative will reinforce, spread, create, combine, coordinate and
realize peaceful motivation. Our initiative will encourage people to dream
and to follow their dreams."

Moshe Berger, Jerusalem
06.10.2002

Go to this web site for more information and to join or support the
Motivation Circle and Israel/Palestine Peace Village.

eMail: <bergermo at pob.huji.ac.il>

This article was compiled by Linda Joseph, Coordinator of the Ecovillage
Network of the Americas,
and a member of the Global Ecovillage Network Information Services Team.