[Scpg] Re: [starhawk] Gardeners Arrested! Sacramento CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jun 23 18:44:07 PDT 2003

Garden Raided at Sacramento Mobilization!

Last night I watched in tears as fifty riot cops surrounded the Ron

Mandella Community Garden, where my friends and permaculture buddies were

locked down.  We stood under the harsh lights and waited, knowing they were

locked to each other and being cut apart, hoping and praying they would not

be hurt.  Erik, Eileen, Abby, Matt, and others from Sonoma county and our

Earth Activist trainings were among them.  Now they are on hunger strike in

jail.  As part of the protest against the biotech and corporate agriculture

miniministerial convened here in Sacramento by the USDA and USAID, they

decided to defend the alternative‹a community garden confiscated to be

developed for condos.

Earlier in the week, in a raid on the Welcome Center of the Sacramento

Mobilization for Food Sovereignty, Democracy and Justice, police had

confiscated seed balls produced in a permaculture weapons, claiming they

could be used as projectile weapons, and were shown on the night time news

demo.  Why is the city of Sacramento portraying organic gardening as a

dangerous and threatening activity‹while supporting the poisonous

agriculture practices and dangerous technologies promoted by the

mini-ministerial?

     Please make the calls suggested below.  Let1s free the gardeners and

the garden!

For more infomation on the garden, see www.freethegarden.org.

For more information on the Sacramento Mobilization, see

www.sacmobilization.org.

Please call the District Attorney, Jan Scully, and demand that charges be

dropped and the gardeners be released!  916-874-6218.

Call Steve Westly, the State Controller at (916) 445-2636, and demand that

the state return control of the garden to the people, and end funding for

the Fremont Mews Development.

And call Mayor Heather Fargo and the Sacto City Council. (916) 808-5407,

and tell them that Sacramento needs the Ron Mandella Community Garden.

And please send this message on to other gardeners and

permaculturists.  Let's let Sacramento hear from gardeners around the world

that we want them to support small scale, community based agriculture, not

profit-driven toxic ag!

Starhawk

www.starhawk.org >>

this list, visit: