[Scpg] Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda Community Garden Los Angeles CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Nov 15 06:35:47 PST 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda Community Garden
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:56:27 EST
From: Judith Gerber <JudiWrites at AOL.COM>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Dear Sustainable and Food System Colleagues:

Please pardon any cross-postings but I thought this was important information
because the farmers in South Central Los Angeles need our support.

The Community Garden located at 41st and Alameda, sponsored by the Los
Angeles Food Bank is facing imminent closure and it's supporters are asking for
support to keep it open.

Here is a recap of the situation from the front-page of the website of
supporters of the garden:

"The 14-acre Community Garden located in South LA on Alameda and 41st Street
is being threatened to be closed down. The food supply for 300-predominately
low-income gardeners will be greatly impacted. We need to show support for the
gardeners and keep this garden open!

This is no ordinary community garden. For the past 10 years many gardeners
and their children have grown up here, everyone is on a first name basis.
Children run freely and learn from their family the beauty and importance
of taking
care of land, both urban and garden.

The gardeners do not get public funding from anyone, only the land. Now that
land might be taken away. We can only help this situation one person at a
time, just your signature is a great help."

A good synopsis of the situation can be found at this page on their site:
http://www.saveourgarden.com/savethegardenFrameset.htm

For more information, to sign a petition or to help them in any way, simply
go to www.saveourgarden.com.

Thanks for listening!

Judi Gerber (agriculture writer and urban and sustainable ag. supporter)
California Family Farms
www.californiafamilyfarms.com

--
L.F.London