[Scpg] Jan 20/Friends of the Sustainability Project Evening at the CEC

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Jan 15 20:33:38 PST 2004

Another Offering for Friends of The Sustainability Project
Where: The Community Environmental Council
930 Miramonte Drive
When: 6:30, Tuesday January 20, 2004
Suggested Donation: $10.00
Soup and Hors D’Oeuvres served
(Bring Your Own Bowl)

AN EVENING OF BEAUTY, KNOWLEDGE, AND INSPIRATION

As night falls, a spectacular drama unfolds ethereal-looking dragonflies grow
wings before your eyes; monstrous male stag beetles lock horns in a battle for
supremacy; water scorpions pounce on unwitting young catfish; and giant
waterbugs prowl their domain for unsuspecting prey. It’s not a sci-fi film but
an intimate look at the hidden world found in the immaculately terraced rice
fields of Lake Biwa, Japan’s largest freshwater lake.

Forged from centuries of human cultivation and nature’s adaptation, the rice
fields are delicately balanced ecosystems which remain equally vital to both
the people who farm them and the remarkable creatures that come to them in the
thousands each growing season. Japan’s Secret Garden is a beautiful statement
about symbiotic relationships and sustainabilitywhere humans are one type of
creature among many.

Following the film, Tom Shepherd will share how he and other organic
farmers are
applying these same principles in our community. Tom will talk about restoring
and sustaining our soils, using seaweed to enhance soil nutrition, harnessing
the sun to power agricultural machines and food processors, cultivating the
seeds of native grasses, etc. Tom lives the knowledge that we are all part of
one web of life.

RSVP to Carlene Marie Ramus at 898-7949 or carleneramus at hotmail.com