[Scpg] The Giant Sleeps -Simon Henderson passes on

L.SantoyoDesigns santoyo at earthflow.com
Mon Feb 16 21:27:19 PST 2004

Friends of Permaculture,

Surrounded by adoring fans and close friends, Simon Henderson died
yesterday waiting for a liver transplant in Seattle.  He was alert,
oriented, beautiful and calm...

Simon Henderson is a Permaculture Giant and a Cultural Creative
archetype.  He was a romantic native american spiritualist, who
became a story teller extraordinaire -making us believe in the
promises of tolerance and in the beauty of a "Green Grass World."

Simon was my friend... In 1988, Simon and I co- founded Great
Northwest Permaculture Institute. Through the early 90's I taught
eight permaculture design courses with Simon in Washington State and
in California.  Hundreds of his students know his humor and know his
passion for a sustainable world.  He admired and was a friend of Bill
Mollison.  Simon was Bill's production assistant in the filming of
the "Global Gardener" series -see him buying strawberries in the
"cold climates" segment.  Simon also contributed to the world-wide
research of bamboo and willow use in traditional agroforestry systems
and consulted on development projects on, at least, three continents.

Before I met Simon, he was a 1960's Haight/Ashbury artist and theatre
performer -a quintessential flower child... He traveled the globe
with rock star and artist royalty of the day -even Salvador Dali
gives Simon a mention in his writings.  While living as an artist in
Tahiti, Simon developed a new connection to the Earth and later
cultivated his path toward permaculture.

The Permaculture Movement was enriched by Simon's spirals...

Larry Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works &
The Center of Natural Design

Special Thanks & Love to Brent, Cathy, Kirk and Ellen